• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Ham   

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jul/08/manchester-city-deal-etihad-airways

I think it's important to remind people of the "sponsorship" city agreed in 2011 when they were still a small team in Manchester. Bear in mind that city did not even own the ground at the time. 

Disproportionate is not the word. 

As I said in another thread, unless we play the game similarly, don't expect us to compete financially. If this wasn't football it would be fraud. 

Edited by Ham

8 hours ago, Dingus said:

People do realise we aren’t getting any of these players that are being mentioned right?

I don't think they do.

9 hours ago, Ham said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jul/08/manchester-city-deal-etihad-airways

I think it's important to remind people of the "sponsorship" city agreed in 2011 when they were still a small team in Manchester. Bear in mind that city did not even own the ground at the time. 

Disproportionate is not the word. 

As I said in another thread, unless we play the game similarly, don't expect us to compete financially. If this wasn't football it would be fraud. 

It is a fair point that City are cheating FFP.
But if this was not football there would be absolutely nothing wrong with what City are doing (except common sense suggests there'd be cheaper ways to fund the club).  
The only way that this is wrong is if you accept FFP, and I still feel that FFP breaks UK and EU competition laws.

Only in football can this be called fraud.

Ham   
12 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

It is a fair point that City are cheating FFP.
But if this was not football there would be absolutely nothing wrong with what City are doing (except common sense suggests there'd be cheaper ways to fund the club).  
The only way that this is wrong is if you accept FFP, and I still feel that FFP breaks UK and EU competition laws.

Only in football can this be called fraud.

Away from football, falsely exaggerating the value of a company, or parts of a company, would affect the share price and that's where the fraud would come in. 

Bernie Madoff and his ponzi scheme comes to mind. He cheated investors and city are cheating FFP. 

Don’t get me wrong. It's not even the fact that city are doing it that bugs me most. It's that we, with a stadium in the heart of London and a stunning training ground aren't writing blank cheques with fake sponsorship. If everyone does it, it's a level playing field. 

What makes me more annoyed is that they are media darlings at the moment whilst getting away with fraud. 

1 minute ago, Ham said:

Away from football, falsely exaggerating the value of a company, or parts of a company, would affect the share price and that's where the fraud would come in. 

City is a quoted company now?  I don't think so.

Ham   
3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

City is a quoted company now?  I don't think so.

That's not the point I'm making and you know it. I'm making an analogy. Tantamount to fraud in the wider business community. 

surely the suits understand now we need some players

jones   

If Leicester is willing to let go of Mahrez for around 40mp, I don't think there are many better buys for us than him at the moment.

On 12/01/2018 at 6:21 PM, paulw66 said:

why does it look dim buying a player 6 years younger, who has scored more goals this season?

When Vardy hits 30 in January 2017, I'll go back to the future to see how his legs are 

So here's the thing. I nipped back in my time machine to the start of the season and exchanged £70 mill Morata for Vardy (who cost a darn sight less). Turns out Vardy then banged in far more goals this season than Morata did even though he was given exactly the same kind of chances in front of goal. Then I nipped back to the present and pondered on what Morata would be like in 5 years time. So I jumped back in time machine and fast forwarded 5 years. Sadly I found that Morata had pretty much stayed his same inconsistent self...he hadn't changed much at all...apart from one thing. He'd grown his hair long and put blond highlights in it. And as I looked for Morata to Torres and then from Torres to Morata, I couldn't tell the buggers apart.  

Morata is getting some unfair stick. It’s his first season in England. He has played more minutes this season in January than he did all season last year, or ever in his career. He’s getting little support up front. 

His movement, today apart, has been excellent, he is getting in goalscoring positions, and he has 12 goals this season.

Nothing like Torres for us. He’s a top player - but we need another top striker to  either play with him or rotate with him. 

Bats is hopeless and we should sell him now. Screw loaning him. Just sell him and buy Vardy. 

Unless we invest I don’t see us making top 4. I can see us losing the semi final, and we will struggle to beat Norwich. 

As for the four weeks when we have Barca twice and both the Manchester clubs in the league....I don’t think either we nor Conte will survive those. 

Invest now or get Europa League next year. Simple as. 

Edited by James Prescott