• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Ham   
19 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Di Marzio/Sky Italy saying Dzeko has said yes to Chelsea, clubs working on a combined £50 million deal for him and Emerson. 

Looks like it’s Dzeko. Pleased with that.

Barkley, Dzeko and Emerson is a good window. All quality players, and could be here beyond this season. 

Except I read earlier that they had postponed talks until after the weekend. I hope you're right and I pray that Freeeeeak is just a practical joke. 

jones   
7 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Di Marzio/Sky Italy saying Dzeko has said yes to Chelsea, clubs working on a combined £50 million deal for him and Emerson. 

Looks like it’s Dzeko. Pleased with that.

Barkley, Dzeko and Emerson is a good window. All quality players, and could be here beyond this season. 

Great news. Agree that would be a very good transfer window.

Emerson is a very interesting player, coming off an ACL injury always a worry but age, price and potential makes it a very good deal in our situation. Offers different attributes to Alonso. Not cup tied. Needs games to get going. Kennedy off.

Dzeko is a massive signing in my opinion. 31, so what? Zlatan was 31 when he joined PSG and then scored 156 goals for them. Drogba was 34 when he scored in Munich. A target man will not decline like a player relying on pace. Also, Dzeko got going quite late, meaning he is a relatively under-used 31 year old. For comparison, he has the same amount of professional apps as someone like Sanchez, who is 2.5 years younger. If he can be a big quality injection this season and the next (and possibly the next-next), while we wait for Tammy Abraham, it makes a lot of sense. He is proven, experienced and can be a game-changer from the bench. Massive upgrade on Batshuayi. The CL cup tie is obviously a blow, but it was probably only going to be two games anyway. 

Barkley has gotten a lot of stick. I agree he is not the most intelligent of players. Taking over the no 8 from SFL shirt therefore feels a bit weird. But he has everything else. And I suspect a lot of fans will be eating their words in some time. Energy, penetration and attacking quality and intent is something we sorely lack from those central positions. 

65mp in transfer fees and 300k in wages for three quality players that solves our problems at LWB, AM and CF. Compare that to United paying 65mp for the transfer of Alexis plus 500k in wages. And it doesn't look too bad.

Ham   

Edited by Ham

1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

Although it's not always an accurate representation of a player, I'd recommend hitting up YouTube to check out his 16/17 clips. You'll get a glimpse of what he's all about and being an alternative to Alonso with something different. Watched a few Roma games last year and he was often a bright point. 

When I looked deeper into his other stats and the report posted I can see his passing and tackling stats are up there with the other top players in the position, no doubt he is a tidy player but I still have a couple of concerns.

1) When he plays it will be in place of Alonso who is our third top scorer in the league I think, we lose that goal threat with Emerson playing and currently we are struggling for goals.

2) I'm presuming that Conte specifically asked for Sandro or a player in that mould who is comfortable in the final third, gets forward a lot and gets balls into the box often form the byline. Barkley should play in advanced midfield role to benefit from those balls, as would a big striker in the box who we appear to be targeting and we all know Morata loves crosses. Those three signings combined could indicate a particular tactical system Antonio wishes to employ but hasn't had the personnel to do so yet. Does Emerson offer those qualities? Interested to hear if you think he does or not as I believe you would know more than most here. If not then its another stop gap signing which moves us no closer to achieving the squad Antonio needs to implement his ideas. He's also been on record saying he wanted Walker which confirms the idea of what he wants form his WB's.

Don't get me wrong I'm still glad we are singing a LWB and the above is more thinking out loud rather than having a moan. Also if we manage to get Dzeko, Barkley and Emerson for roughly the same cost as Sandro then I think we have used the funds more wisely and means our funds in the summer can focus on genuine quality players that can directly challenge for a first 11 spot.

That is two players who have barely kicked a ball all season in Barkley and Emerson, hopefully they offer something quicker than Drinkwater and Baka did following their injuries when we signed them. Another is Lucas Moura if we could get him in on loan our squad would be looking healthy on genuine options in every position.

Edited by Lump Of Celery

I agree that Dzeko and Emerson would be quality additions from a January window POV. 

If we could have acquired a quality midfielder as well this would be a great window IF everything goes through.

Personally, I’m just baffled with the Dzeko news. He’s 32, had a very poor season from what I can gather and his game against us in the Champions League was more an exception.

Are we really going to pay upwards of 25-30m for a striker as a few months stop gap? 

Why not Vardy who’s at least got a few years left in him, looks sharp still and offers something different?

Why do we need a big lump up top who can head the ball anyway? Morata can do that. If our players could actually cross, which they can’t. 

Club have played this well mind you. Leaking stories about Carroll and Crouch so fans are actually relieved when we sign Dzeko! 

Hope I’m wrong but this seems like a really poor signing to me. I’d rather we stuck with Bats, who’s been treated really shabbily by Conte. 

Edited by Original 21

xCELERYx   
8 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Personally, I’m just baffled with the Dzeko news. He’s 32, had a very poor season from what I can gather and his game against us in the Champions League was more an exception.

Are we really going to pay upwards of 25-30m for a striker as a few months stop gap? 

Why not Vardy who’s at least got a few years left in him, looks sharp still and offers something different?

Why do we need a big lump up top who can head the ball anyway? Morata can do that. If our players could actually cross, which they can’t. 

Club have played this well mind you. Leaking stories about Carroll and Crouch so fans are actually relieved when we sign Dzeko! 

Hope I’m wrong but this seems like a really poor signing to me. I’d rather we stuck with Bats, who’s been treated really shabbily by Conte. 

No idea where you get the idea from that Dzeko has been poor. He's bagged 9 goals in Serie A thus far. And 29 last season. Even though he'll be 32 in March, he isn't reliant on speed. So his game is more likely to age better than someone like Vardy for example. 

The bonus is he's also familiar with the EPL, which is a bonus. Could still be a handy option for another couple seasons and it doesn't entirely block a path for Tammy if he sticks around. 

30 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

No idea where you get the idea from that Dzeko has been poor. He's bagged 9 goals in Serie A thus far. And 29 last season. Even though he'll be 32 in March, he isn't reliant on speed. So his game is more likely to age better than someone like Vardy for example. 

The bonus is he's also familiar with the EPL, which is a bonus. Could still be a handy option for another couple seasons and it doesn't entirely block a path for Tammy if he sticks around. 

He’s only scored twice since he scored against us in October. Maybe he's missing the assists of Salah this season. Like I said, I hope this turns out to be an astute move and he rediscovers the form he had last season. I can see the logic but I’m just a little surprised considering his current form and age.