• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

JP

the previous owners mears family and uncle ken were extremely good of filling their pocket and bankrupting the club  

You should be grateful for Roman and his love of the club and that the club does not have to rely on loaning money and TV payment to keep afloat. 

The Mears family almost destroyed Chelsea by selling the club and the stand to different people. Ken Bates saved Chelsea, and played a key role in us staying at SB. He also helped make us a big club again, a club worthy of Roman's investment. 

I am hugely grateful for Roman. He saved the club, gave us major trophies and a world class academy, turned us into a big club, debt free. And now, we don't need his money to spend big. We make enough money.  I am grateful for that.

I was here in the 1980's when we were relegated, and in the early 90's under Portefield (goodness me...) and co, when we finished 11th every year and got knocked out of the FA Cup by Sunderland. Don't ever mistake my frustration with lack of gratitude.

We've spent £240 million this season - but we've only gone like for like, not deepened and improved the squad, which is what we used to do. You need to add to the squad, not just do one in, one out. And sign real world class players.

Hopefully this summer, we'll spend the same amount of money (or more, given we'll be making more money this year with CL football, no Adidas payout and the first Nike money) on about three or four players, not 6 players. We need two young, potentially world class attacking players - Pedro and Willian are both past 30 now and we need something different to go alongside Hazard - a world class CB to replace Cahill and Luiz who should both be sold (with Zouma brought back), and possibly a world class CM (sell Drinkwater, I like him as a player, but he's never going to get into our first team). RLC can come back too. 

Then we have a deeper, stronger, younger, better squad. 

I want us to show ambition in the market. We can spend big, so spend it well, and don't hold back. We can actually afford it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

The Mears family almost destroyed Chelsea by selling the club and the stand to different people. Ken Bates saved Chelsea, and played a key role in us staying at SB. He also helped make us a big club again, a club worthy of Roman's investment. 

I am hugely grateful for Roman. He saved the club, gave us major trophies and a world class academy, turned us into a big club, debt free. And now, we don't need his money to spend big. We make enough money.  I am grateful for that.

I was here in the 1980's when we were relegated, and in the early 90's under Portefield (goodness me...) and co, when we finished 11th every year and got knocked out of the FA Cup by Sunderland. Don't ever mistake my frustration with lack of gratitude.

We've spent £240 million this season - but we've only gone like for like, not deepened and improved the squad, which is what we used to do. You need to add to the squad, not just do one in, one out. And sign real world class players.

Hopefully this summer, we'll spend the same amount of money (or more, given we'll be making more money this year with CL football, no Adidas payout and the first Nike money) on about three or four players, not 6 players. We need two young, potentially world class attacking players - Pedro and Willian are both past 30 now and we need something different to go alongside Hazard - a world class CB to replace Cahill and Luiz who should both be sold (with Zouma brought back), and possibly a world class CM (sell Drinkwater, I like him as a player, but he's never going to get into our first team). RLC can come back too. 

Then we have a deeper, stronger, younger, better squad. 

I want us to show ambition in the market. We can spend big, so spend it well, and don't hold back. We can actually afford it. 

So you keep saying in spite of evidence to the contrary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:05 PM, Martin1905 said:

Fabregas was superb earlier in the season, pretty much up until Conte stopped starting him.

Late to the party here, but Fabregas is (fittingly) to me a bit like a takeaway pizza with a hangover; even when it's a bad one it's better than anything else. He has his limitations, as literally every player does, but is very easily one of our best two footballers at the club and we've consistently been better (even when it's still be a generally sh*te 'better') with him in the XI than without.

We have players with as obvious flaws offering less who have been regularly and consistently picked ahead of him, and that is frankly BS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, James Prescott said:

We've spent £240 million this season - but we've only gone like for like, not deepened and improved the squad, which is what we used to do. You need to add to the squad, not just do one in, one out. And sign real world class players...

Exactly. Any team in world football would be weakened with losing a player like Diego Costa and to a lesser extent, Matic. Bakayako and Drinkwater aren't of the same Calibre and expecting a superhuman first season from Morata placed tremendous weight upon young and adjusting shoulders.

I am however extremely heartened by the Giroud signing, and together with Morata I see us growing in menace and guile upfront again. A force to be reckoned with? It's a good start. We simply must keep Eden though - at his best he's genuine world class and I look forward to his role in developing our front two with relish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
synavm   

Wonder if we could tempt Dembélé from Spurs (probably not is the answer to that). I know he is 30, but he really is that technically sound box to box Midfielder we need. Would also give time for Bakayoko to redeem himself on loan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
10 hours ago, James Prescott said:

We've spent £240 million this season - but we've only gone like for like, not deepened and improved the squad, which is what we used to do. You need to add to the squad, not just do one in, one out. And sign real world class players.

We've spent £232 million this season.
We've received £180.54 million this season in sales - loan fee's included.
That's a total net spend of £51.46 million

Which makes for our highest spending season since Di Matteo and Benitez were here IIRC.

This is what happens when a club doesn't financially back a manager enough. To bring players in, money has had to be raised from somewhere and that's generally player sales. The problem is we're selling players, and then bringing in players who are either no better, or simply aren't at the same level as those who've left. Instead, we bank a lot on "potential" and have a focus on resale value - instead of immediate quality and improvement. As a club, there is no chance of progression or improvement with this sort of approach. 

To actually improve the squad we need to spend without having to sacrifice players who could then become good squad depth as they move down the pecking order. While we need to be more focused on signing players who can immediately make a difference, even if that comes at the cost of resale value down the line. Ditching the one year contracts for 30+ would also be a help. We could utilise players who are 30-33 as short term options that can provide proven quality. 

Edited by xCELERYx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

That's a total net spend of £51.46 million

Which makes for our highest spending season since Di Matteo and Benitez were here IIRC.

This is what happens when a club doesn't financially back a manager enough

Once again you start a post with a statement that is hard to understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob B   
18 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Once again you start a post with a statement that is hard to understand.

What’s hard to understand about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rob B said:

What’s hard to understand about it?

?? He says we spent our highest spend for some time,  and then says we don't financially back a manager enough.

Which manager?  JM presumably since he was manager for most of the time between Benitez and this season.
Actually what happened while we weren't backing the managers with new purchases is that the players already on the roster won 2 PL titles.
Now we are backing one we are struggling apparently.

If you can make some sense out of his post, good luck to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
19 minutes ago, Rob B said:

What’s hard to understand about it?

No idea why he even bothers to reply to my posts, he's on ignore and has been for quite some time. But alas, he continues to try and **** stir as usual. 

He really needs a new shtick.

Edited by xCELERYx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now