• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, Sea foot said:

You mean someone like Salah or DeBruyne for example.

Well yeah.  Pity neither of them could challenge for a place while they were here, both decided they were better off elsewhere.  Lets face it we saw them in cameos, and neither of them looked as good as Hudson-Odoi does now.  Mind you I don't think either would look as good in our team without 3 or 4 similar players buzzing around them.

Sea foot   

Hazard, Willian, DeBruyne, Salah and Pedro. Brilliant. In my opinion it was obvious that DeBruyne was going to be class, Salah was never given a chance. A lot of posters will make excuses to pretend they were right all along but I think we ballsed up with them. 

37 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Hazard, Willian, DeBruyne, Salah and Pedro. Brilliant. In my opinion it was obvious that DeBruyne was going to be class, Salah was never given a chance.

IMO it was obvious that KdB was too lazy to get his chance in a team managed by JM, because he just demands too much effort from his AMs.  I suspect that having started pretty much full time from the age of 18, KdB had just never learnt just what work rate is required at a top level.  Even though he was now 22.  Going away to become a complete player was the only way.  Sadly it was KdB, not JM or the club who decided he wanted a complete break, not a loan.
Pity, but both buying him, and letting him go were good decisions by the club which made decent money on him.
Salah is exactly the same story  - although I doubt he would ever be the kind of hard working Willian that would have kept JM happy.  Conte might have liked him and played him in Hazard's position in a front 2.  But then we kept Hazard.

46 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

A lot of posters will make excuses to pretend they were right all along but I think we ballsed up with them. 

Sure - but we also made money on both, we made a lot of excellent decisions at around the same time and we integrated Courtois, Azpi, Oscar, Willian, Hazard, Costa, Fabregas, and er Matic.  Then in the season 13/14 we came 3d with 82 points, a real title challenge season, our first for 4 years (and won it next year with Salah still on board*).  That was the season both Salah and KdB were trying to break into the team.  Interestingly, the teams that have apparently benefitted so much from Salah and KdB were 2nd and 1st  that year.  Arguably they have taken 4 years to get back to that level while the players Chelsea kept won 2 PLs.

All in all, the club made some fantastic decisions in that period and massive success.  The 2 players failed to impress.  8 others at the same time impressed and got into the team as starters.  I find it rather difficult to blame club and not players.

*Apologies to Salah - I did recently say I'd admit we & JM made a mistake when Salah wins something.  He does indeed have a PL medal - sent to him by er, JM.  Better than KdB, who as I write, has won just a single League cup.  Mind you I expect both have won a lot more player of the month awards than Kante.

Ham   

Aguero just scored from an offside position. VAR not used. Great. 

The officials would've been scrambling for a reason to rule that out of it was us. 

29 minutes ago, Ham said:

Aguero just scored from an offside position. VAR not used. Great. 

The officials would've been scrambling for a reason to rule that out of it was us. 

can't be offside from a Goalkick. X

Ham   
4 minutes ago, Kneel for 1 said:

can't be offside from a Goalkick. X

It was a clearance, not a goal kick wasn't it?

Edit: Just seen a replay and it was a goal kick. 

Edited by Ham

I see us selling Luiz, Cahill, Pedro at least. A new manager - which we will have - may want a new main striker, and PSG have been linked with Morata, so he could even go. 

If we finish outside top four that will be Hazard and Courtois gone, without a doubt. 

But definite outs for me need to be Cahill, Luiz, Pedro and Moses. Zouma may well be sold too. And then we may buy two CB’s, which would explain the links Lascelles from Newcastle (sorry if spelling is wrong). One of Bats or Morata I think will go. 

Sometimes I wonder. Selling Hazard and Courtois will bring in about £300-350 million. Plus other sales we are looking at well over £400 million, possibly £450 million.

A new keeper would be £60 million, then Lemar and Bailey, say, to replace Hazard would be £150 million. Then we could also buy a world class CM for about £50-60 million and two CB’s for £80-90 million total and a world class striker for about £90-100 million, with a very small net spend. 

We will have rebuilt our squad for the long term, have top class strength in depth in every position and overall our squad will be stronger and not so dependent on one player.

I’d rather not lose Hazard or Courtois, but if we did, and spent the money well, we could end up with a stronger deeper squad.

Not saying it’s what I would do, just presenting an alternative view.