• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Maybe you should look beyond RT and RIA Novosti for your information!

If you know who Tuchel is and don't understand what is happening in Syria  or Sevenoaks I suggest you need to broaden your own reading.  :)

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

If you know who Tuchel is and don't understand what is happening in Syria  or Sevenoaks I suggest you need to broaden your own reading.  :)

what is happening in sevenoaks? where is sevenoaks?

10 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

They have certainly not had more difficult circumstances to work under than Conte but they have gone about doing their jobs with a certain amount of appreciation for their clubs, and have also seemed to fully appreciate the current state of the transfer market a whole lot better.

86 points for Spurs last season, and the CL semi for Liverpool are both significant achievements, yes.  Both play in the opponents half, which is generally the way to win PL games.  Both are at clubs which cannot guarantee CL football, and Spurs at least manages on a very strict wage policy.  

6 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I dont defend what happened last summer with respect to our transfer dealings... But a lot of time has passed and the situation has changed significantly after this season in terms of realistic targets. We are, quite frankly, not an attractive transfer option for a player anymore.. Conte himself has played a large part in making that the case IMO.

Frankly I wonder why anyone thinks we might be in for the top players anymore.  We have only really bought 3 top priced players, all strikers, all failures (or at least 2 plus one still unproven).  All our other purchases have been of younger talent or tail end of career players like Ballack.  The money we spent in 2003-08 was a one-off period to get Chelsea to the top.  I don't think we ever expected to compete directly on finance with RM, Barca, Man U or BM, who all have massive grounds and fanbases.  We were 8 or so years ahead of Man City and PSG, but even then never in their category of spending.

And yes, Conte has certainly played a role in turning players off us.  

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I know exactly what's going on in Syria and Salisbury (not Sevenoaks... or is that where the next former Russian spy will be found poisoned?) and who Tuchel is.

29 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I know exactly what's going on in Syria and Salisbury (not Sevenoaks... or is that where the next former Russian spy will be found poisoned?) and who Tuchel is.

I doubt you have a clue - Sevenoaks (or Oneoak as it became known after the storm or 87) is where all the officials of Porton Down work.   Tuchel is an out of work manager of Mainz 05 I gather.  Why he is relevant to PSG is another mystery.

14 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I doubt you have a clue - Sevenoaks (or Oneoak as it became known after the storm or 87) is where all the officials of Porton Down work.   Tuchel is an out of work manager of Mainz 05 I gather.  Why he is relevant to PSG is another mystery.

Really???

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Tuchel was at Dortmund, played some great football and won trophies blooding youth. He is one of the top rated young managers around. And he is going to PSG. 

13 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

That's somewhat subjective. Both took over sides who were well behind challenging for the title. Neither club have had the previous recent success that we've had. While neither have the immediate pressure of coming in and performing to an elite standard from the get go. 

Both managers have also been backed by their respective club with their vision. This has seen their boards work with the management to bring in complimentary players that fit. While both managers have still had to work with constraints, it's more manageable when they know they've got some leeway to make mistakes and grow. 

We don't operate in this fashion. We've grown entitled, we expect immediate success and any lull period is deemed failure. We have a board that doesn't work with their management to ensure that they are providing the necessary tools and resources to create the best possible environment for success. We've cut spending drastically from our own/the owners pocket and largely rely on selling the assets we've accumulated to fund incoming transfers. While we hang onto the reputation of the players we do have even when they're not necessarily performing. 

I'm sure if Klopp or Poch were appointed managers here, they'd have been treated vastly different and would quite possibly be out of a job already. While if Tottenham or Liverpool had Conte, he'd have his imprint stamped more thoroughly on the club and been given more beneficial tools and time to build success. 

Nope. Not true. 

Chelsea have been looking for a coach since 2013 who would build a legacy here, who would build a team playing good football, challenging consistently and blooding the academy. They appointed the wrong men to do it.

Remember, they stuck with Jose for much longer than they have stuck with any manager in such a bad run of form before, even giving him a vote of confidence, which they had never done under Roman, and only sacked him very reluctantly. 

Conte would have been sacked after Bournemouth or Watford only 5 years ago. But Chelsea haven’t sacked him. The only reason he is leaving this summer is he has fallen out with the board almost completely and is beginning to lose the dressing room. 

Chelsea probably recognise now that we are not going to compete with City or United financially. We need to look ag Liverpool and Spurs as the model for how  to build our team (though we have more money than either of them). 

Roman has always wanted a team playing good football and with academy players coming through, and we now have players good enough to be legitimate first team squad members and start in major competitions. 

Judging from the managers we have been linked with and stories coming out, I think there will be a major shift in philosophy this summer. Not even our board are stupid enough to make the same mistakes a third time. There will be change in the style of football, and emphasis on building a team with top young talent from outside, alongside the best academy products, around the core of the squad we already have - Hazard (I honestly think he will stay, Madrid will go elsewhere IMO) Kante, Dave, Christensen, Rudiger, Morata, Alonso, Willian, Ampadu, possibly Courtois if he stays, possibly Luiz. Zouma and RLC will come back and be part of the squad too. I’m sure Van Ginkel will come under consideration for the squad. 

If Chelsea were still the hire and fire club, Jose would have been sacked much sooner, and Conte would be gone already. 

I think we’ll see a major shift this summer. Conte was another Jose. Dogmatic, spiteful, blame-shifter, tactically rigid, defensive football. Not a bad manager, but not right for us long term. 

I could be totally wrong of course. I guess we’ll see. 

18 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Tuchel was at Dortmund, played some great football and won trophies blooding youth. He is one of the top rated young managers around. And he is going to PSG. 

He won one cup and was considered such a pain in the arse by his own management that he was sacked a few days later. I think there's a middle ground between having not heard of him and thinking he's proven himself as anything more than simply 'okay'. Mind you, if he'd be happy to have us play in the oppo half, I'd be happy for him to be here.

8 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I wouldn't be completely shocked to see Conte still here next season. It would be really interesting (scary) to see how the players would respond at that point... realising the player power isn't quite there anymore. I'd guess you'd quite quickly see who the players are that have genuinely downed tools as they would want out of the club asap. It could turn out to be a really good thing for us to have him stick around - also for the fact he is obviously a very good manager.

In terms of players coming in, I've said a few times before that I think we're about 4/5 players away from a good squad that's ready to compete for 2nd/3rd (assuming City dominate again) but that is without losing any key players. It's going to be very tricky to do that much business in such a short window (it closes early and we have the world cup) and so you would imagine a lot of the deals are already in place/very close to being in place already... which again makes me think Conte may actually be hanging around next season as the club will want to have some idea of what the manager is thinking for next season (formation, style etc) and I know so many think the manager has absolutely no input in to the signings we make, but in my opinion he'll have a voice in the conversation at least.

In terms of priorities for summer signings, this is how I would look at it:

1. CM
2. AM
3. CB
4. CM
5. RB

I would also consider the following players back from loan, depending on how next seasons manager (Conte or not) plans to play and what players stay/leave:

Blackman
Van Ginkel
RLC
Kenedy (as a winger not a WB)
Tammy
Batshuayi

I'd personally like us to start the season (trying to be realistic) with a squad like this (based on playing a combination of 433 and 4231):

GK1 - Courtois
GK2 - Caballero
GK3 - Blackman

RB1 - Azpilicueta
RB2 - New signing/Zappacosta

LB1 - Alonso
LB2 - Emerson

CB1 - New signing
CB2 - Christensen
CB3 - Rudiger
CB4 - Luiz
CB5 - Cahill

CM1 - Kante
CM2 - New Signing
CM3 - New Signing
CM4 - Fabregas
CM5 - Bakayoko/Van Ginkel/RLC
CM6 - Ampadu

AM1 - Hazard
AM2 - New Signing
AM3 - Willian
AM4 - Pedro
AM5 - Barkley
AM6 - Kenedy

STK1 - Morata
STK2 - Batshuayi/Giroud
STK3 - Tammy/New Signing

Based on the above, that means we'd need to sell/loan/release the following players from this seasons squad:

Eduardo
Moses
Drinkwater
Scott

Conte won’t be here next season. It’s not the players forcing him out. He has fallen out with the board and his public statements about them or “the club” clearly demonstrate that. He wants out and the club want him out, they are just waiting till the end of the season. 

If by some miracle Conte stays, Luiz, Rudiger, Hazard and Courtois will all be gone. He has definitely fallen out with them all. 

If Conte goes, as expected, then we could keep all four. 

If Conte stays then next season is already doomed. He won’t change tactically, he has lost a lot of the players, and no matter who we bring in it will be the same dross, same tactics everyone knows how to play against. 

Conte won’t be Chelsea manager next season. He just won’t.