• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The issue is James is that City (or the country backing them ) can afford to Buy £270M worth of players whilst raising £16M in sales whilst we could only afford to spend £230M because we sold almost £200m worth of players. (I've not researched this - this is just a guestimate)

The players we have brought in have not strengthened the first team one iota , Cities have.  (with apologies to Giround and Drinkwater which imho are good squad options )

City have ex players with experience of the director of football role and have been planning this for some time.

We have Romans's P.A. playing Championship Manager.

City are fully committed to their pursuit of excellence , We are fully committed to being self sufficient , which is fine in its self , provided you actually empower your first team coach and aren't actively hindering him because he questions whether you have the requisite knowledge to be solely in charge of the procurement of the playing staff, see exhibit A : Ross Barkley , who is unlikely to feature this season .

Barkley was a long-term target, bought for the long term. With his injuries he ws never going to play much this season.

You're kind of making my point - it's who we have bought, not the money we've spent. And if we'd kept RLC and Aina and actually played RLC regularly, and given chances to Sterling and Hudson-Odoi, we could have focussed that money on less, and bigger, better players.

Hopefully the lesson has been learned and we get a proper DOF in this summer - a football person.

6 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Barkley was a long-term target, bought for the long term.

Comedy gold.

6 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

With his injuries he ws never going to play much this season.

Quite. They saw us coming.......twice!.........:).

4 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Barkley was a long-term target, bought for the long term. With his injuries he ws never going to play much this season.

You're kind of making my point - it's who we have bought, not the money we've spent. And if we'd kept RLC and Aina and actually played RLC regularly, and given chances to Sterling and Hudson-Odoi, we could have focussed that money on less, and bigger, better players.

Hopefully the lesson has been learned and we get a proper DOF in this summer - a football person.

Don't get me wrong James I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment on where we've gone wrong , the main issue is trying to rectify our problems within our self imposed budgetry boundaries.

synavm   
1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

City spent £270 million on new players this season. We spent £230 million. Forget the net spend, we spent almost the same amount on players - they ended up with Kyle Walker, Laporte, Mendy and Bernardo Silva - and we ended up with Drinkwater and some players not fit enough to play.

Yes, our net spend is small, but what do you expect, a £200 million net spend on top of what we spent? We can't afford that as a club, we don't make enough money to spend that. We can afford, with new sponsors, PL money and sales, to spend £300 million on players, but not net. And £300 million should be well enough, along with our academy, and the core of our squad, to build a title winning squad.

It's not the money, it's how we've spent it which is frustrating. I'd rather not rack up hundreds of millions in debt and be in financial trouble again, thanks.

If City had signed Walker, Laporte, Danilio, Mendy and Bernardo Silva whilst raising £240m by selling Aguero, De Bruyne, David Silva and Kompany, they wouldn't be on course to break the points record.. Particularly if the Sheikh's PR lady was in charge of player recruitment. 

City's blueprint is bang on, however, the element of having a huge net spend is a big factor in their success. We, of all clubs, should understand that.

Edited by synavm
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, James Prescott said:

City spent £270 million on new players this season. We spent £230 million. Forget the net spend, we spent almost the same amount on players - they ended up with Kyle Walker, Laporte, Mendy and Bernardo Silva - and we ended up with Drinkwater and some players not fit enough to play.

Yes, our net spend is small, but what do you expect, a £200 million net spend on top of what we spent? We can't afford that as a club, we don't make enough money to spend that. We can afford, with new sponsors, PL money and sales, to spend £300 million on players, but not net. And £300 million should be well enough, along with our academy, and the core of our squad, to build a title winning squad.

It's not the money, it's how we've spent it which is frustrating. I'd rather not rack up hundreds of millions in debt and be in financial trouble again, thanks.

I see you're contradicting yourself again, James. In the (relatively recent) past you've claimed we CAN spend £200-£300 million NET. Now you're saying we can't? Time to make your mind up.

5 hours ago, synavm said:

Do we know how much choice he (and former managers) had in keeping those players?

He's a football manager who ducks questions on transfers by pretending someone else does it.  Still a football manager, lets stop playing the game that he is not involved.

5 hours ago, synavm said:

The critical thing is comparing our net spend over the past five seasons with United/City whilst also considering the folk apparently calling the shots have no football experience whatsoever. 

???  so you want RA to spend as much as City and to fund the gap between our income and Man U's income, while giving up control to strangers.  You going to tell him?

23 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

He's a football manager who ducks questions on transfers by pretending someone else does it.  Still a football manager, lets stop playing the game that he is not involved.

???  so you want RA to spend as much as City and to fund the gap between our income and Man U's income, while giving up control to strangers.  You going to tell him?

He probably want's someone to decide on transfer targets who knows what that round bouncy thing is.

synavm   
48 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not necessarily- I think we can spend at the existing level and compete so long as the structure is sound, but it certainly isn't going to work if you're balancing the books and have non-footballing people calling the shots at the same time. That's a recipe for a future as a mid-table club. 

38 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He probably want's someone to decide on transfer targets who knows what that round bouncy thing is.

FFS - Conte makes transfer decisions as much as any other manager - stop pretending there is something unusual at the club.  

10 minutes ago, synavm said:

Not necessarily- I think we can spend at the existing level and compete so long as the structure is sound, but it certainly isn't going to work if you're balancing the books and have non-footballing people calling the shots at the same time. That's a recipe for a future as a mid-table club. 

Bring back Emenalo then - he did brilliantly.
Still I take it you have stopped comparing our spend to Man U/C then.

6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

FFS - Conte makes transfer decisions as much as any other manager - stop pretending there is something unusual at the club.  

Bring back Emenalo then - he did brilliantly.
Still I take it you have stopped comparing our spend to Man U/C then.

FFS not whilst he's denying it.