• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

We have still got a far better base to build on than any of Spurs, Liverpool or United IMO. Nearly all of the players are league champions and fine players.

Courtois, Azpili, Cahill, Rudiger, Alonso, Kante, Fabregas, Hazard, Willian, Giroud - thats a pretty good base to build on and Morata, Michy, Drinkwater, Barkley, Christensen, Moses, Pedro, Willy - thats a very decent squad. I am sure if we add 4 or 5 quality players to the squad we will be back competing next year. 

I just dont buy this crap that the players suddenly aren't good enough.

synavm   

TBH, if they are good enough it’s even worse because it shows the degree to which they’re prepared to down tools when they have a sulk. We can’t keep allowing that to happen. The vast majority of that squad have been utterly embarrassing this season.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, synavm said:

TBH, if they are good enough it’s even worse because it shows the degree to which they’re prepared to down tools when they have a sulk. We can’t keep allowing that to happen. The vast majority of that squad have been utterly embarrassing this season.

On top of this. Our so called "key players" have been apart of this sort of collapse before. The interesting part of this that our worst performing part of the squad this season is our attack - which still houses essentially the same first team options - Fabregas, Hazard, Willian and Pedro.

I thought I had heard it all. Every excuse possible has been made for Conte this season. Now some suggest the players have given up and downed tools. Laughable.

If there was any truth in it, the manager doesn't come out of it looking very good.  Firstly for allowing it to happen and secondly for doing absolutely nothing to stop it.

Edited by Martin1905

synavm   

Oh don’t get me wrong, Conte isn’t coming out of this looking great either, however how many times have our players gone from scintillating form, to mid-table form, back to competing for the league once the manager is sacked? It’s unacceptable and the fact it has now happened with four or five managers in a row proves that something needs to be done.

We also need to take a decision on our standing in football. Do we put our hands in our pockets quite deeply this summer and compete or do we ease off the accelerator and accept slightly lower ambitions?

Edited by synavm

Dingus   
6 minutes ago, synavm said:

Oh don’t get me wrong, Conte isn’t coming out of this looking great either, however how many times have our players gone from scintillating form, to mid-table form, back to competing for the league once the manager is sacked? It’s unacceptable and the fact it has now happened with four or five managers in a row proves that something needs to be done.

We also need to take a decision on our standing in football. Do we put our hands in our pockets quite deeply this summer and compete or do we ease off the accelerator and accept slightly lower ambitions?

I'm fully happy to lower my ambitions/expectations if that's what the club tells me that's what we're doing. And if that's the case, I want to see the likes of RLC, Abraham, hell even Van Ginkel to come back and play. If we are truly going to make use of all these players that have gone out on loan for "experience" then now has to be the time to do so.

But we're never going to hear that from the powers that be so if that's the case, then I envision us to be expected to compete for the title. So that means spending some cash. But will they do that? We spunked nearly £60m on Morata, £50m Drinkwater and Barkley so they aren't going to be leaving anytime soon are they?

It's just a complete mess.

1 hour ago, synavm said:

It doesn't matter what we, the fans, expect... I'm afraid our owner, via the board, has taken his foot off the accelerator whilst still expecting the same results as when he was putting his hands deep into his pockets. Therein lies our problem... high expectations whilst reining in the spending. That what we do spend has been poorly spent of late just exacerbates things.

3 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

On top of this. Our so called "key players" have been apart of this sort of collapse before. The interesting part of this that our worst performing part of the squad this season is our attack - which still houses essentially the same first team options - Fabregas, Hazard, Willian and Pedro.

I think the whole world knew we needed fresh AMs at the start of the season because every other big team starts with more than we own.  
Sounds like poor management, not poor players.

2 hours ago, synavm said:

We are not a team with the money to compete 10 seasons a decade now.  3 or 4 max.  We did brilliantly in flooding the squad with talent in 2011-14 and then over 2013/4 focusing on a team that would win titles.  Cech, Lampard, KdB, Lukaku, Salah all went because the renewal strategy changed to a hard "sort out 20 men to win titles".  

Now we move on again - but we won't be able to buy the likes of Azpi, Courtois, Willian, Luiz, Hazard again so easily.  Prices are much higher and there are more rivals for top signatures and 5 of them have a lot lot more cash than us.

xCELERYx   
5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think the whole world knew we needed fresh AMs at the start of the season because every other big team starts with more than we own.  
Sounds like poor management, not poor players..

I don't disagree. Except that anyone who hasnt lived under a rock for the past 10 years will have known that Willian isn't (and never will be) a prolific creator or scorer (career best of 8 goals). Pedro hadn't had a good productive season prior to last year since like 2012. While Hazard somewhat coasts by on his raw talent too often and lacks a ruthless edge to his game. 

For years we've essentially relied on 3 players for all of our attacking output - Lampard, Drogba and Hazard. That then was reduced to Hazard and Costa, to now just Hazard. 

It's been poor squad management for years, coupled with poor recruitment and pinning too much attacking responsibility on too few players (or players simply not good enough to produce the productivity needed), then not adequately replacing them once they departed. 

The likes of Willian and Pedro should be support players, not ones to be relied upon for adequate first team level prouduction. As many have spoken about before, we've got squad calibre players with first team roles. Essentially, a lack of quality (and in some cases numbers too). 

49 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

We are not a team with the money to compete 10 seasons a decade now. 

Agreed we can't compete with City, they are and will remain in a league of their own for a while. Not because of Pep but because of Abu Dhabis wealth.

However there is no reason why we can't compete with the rest of the top teams in the Prem. We had CL money, Prem money has gone through the roof and had the kudos of being league champions. 

Conte is maybe not to blame alone, he is not the first manager at Chelsea to appear not to get players he wanted. You say we needed AMs, maybe so and maybe Conte begged for them but if the clubs suits thought otherwise then it wont happen. How can Conte be blamed if thats the case?

Problem is whoever will come in next will also want players and if the club doesnt start putting emphasis on the managers visions we will be back here again in 12-18 months. Now they also wont have CL income as we turned off that tap by not improving the squad when we had the chance.

Romans dream of a new expensive shiny stadium also needs annual CL football which needs ongoing investment in support of the coach/manager otherwise we will find us with a stadium and the financial problems Ken had