• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

7 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

He made them better and won everything.  What more can a manager do? 

People talk as if he just took that Barcelona and did nothing with it. They were incredible to watch. 

His achievements there are no different to Conte before he came here. 

Well , we will see. 

paulw66   
26 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Asamoah is leaving Juve on a free, at 29 he'd still be a handy pick up. Would add a wingback/midfield utility option that's capable and better than other options we have. 

Agreed. Useful player. 

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Agreed. Useful player. 

Would be come on a one year contract ?

xCELERYx   
32 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

He won 9 trophies in 3 years as a manager.

While leaving on a sour note that resonated through the Barca squad. To the point where some players wanted him sacked. 

Then he took Roma and lead them to their lowest position in like 10 years. Once more leaving a trail of disgruntled fans and players.

Enrique is a bang average manager. He's essentially this generations Rijkaard. 

19 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

While leaving on a sour note that resonated through the Barca squad. To the point where some players wanted him sacked. 

Sounds a bit like your favourite manager. 

Although I don't remember hearing anything like that at the time. You got any quotes from players?

Then he took Roma and lead them to their lowest position in like 10 years. Once more leaving a trail of disgruntled fans and players.

That was before Barceloan. His first job. 

Enrique is a bang average manager. He's essentially this generations Rijkaard. 

Is he? How would you know? He had one bad job in Roma, his first ever job in management and then destroyed everyone with some of the best football I have ever seen, winning everything in the process. Are new managers expected to be successful instantly? 

If he's average, maybe still  a step up from up current manager?

44 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well , we will see. 

Maybe. 

One thing I can guarantee is it will be far, FAR better to watch than this years shambles.

We may not win anything, it may be some time until we do again, but at least I'll enjoy watching us again.

6 hours ago, jones said:

So, City are going to go for Jorginho and Mahrez. Their squad was a little slim at the start of last season, so I don't expect them to move on other players than Yaya Toure and perhaps Zinchenko. If that happens, double cover for all positions where all but one (big talent Foden) will be either world class or top PL quality.

• RB Walker, Danilo
  • CB Kompany, Laporte
  • CB Otamendi, Stones
  • LB Mendy, Delph
  • RCM KDB, Foden
  • DM Fernandinho, Jorginho
  • LCM D Silva, Gundogan
  • RW Sane, Mahrez
  • CF Aguero, Jesus
  • LW Sterling, B Silva

We obviously don't have a chance of having the same quality, but I think in terms of numbers and competition this is something we should take inspiration from. Getting the right amount and mix of players is difficult, and an art of balance, but if this is City's squad next season, I think it is hard to find a better and more balanced squad than this in PL history. There is experience and there is potential, there is not a single player not capable playing the manager's philosophy of possession-based football, and the attack is full of pace, skill and most importantly goals. There are few untouchables and a lot of competition, and you could easily field a B team and be confident of beating most PL teams. Add that to a harmonious relationship between board and manager, and it is hard to see City not pushing on from their record breaking season. Yes, money is what is getting them a long way, but they run their club excellently and that is probably what is going to make them a super power club the next decade. For comparison, we were in a similar state 12 months ago, but instead of doing the right things we did all the wrong things (spending big on many average and unproven players instead of buying fewer and better, getting rid of two important first team players in Costa and Matic, negative talk and rumors around Conte and his backing etc etc). Given our competitive disadvantage when it comes to money, that really is something we can't afford to continue doing.

Long way forward for us. Taking a new direction starts with the next two appointments of a new manager and sporting director. Getting them right and giving them the right amount of autonomy is what matters most at the moment.

Nailed it. City are run by football people. We are run by adminstrators and lawyers. 

It makes a world of difference. 

5 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

...It's easy to knock him for what he did at Barcelona but they were phenomenal, certainly better to watch than Pep's side. Yes he inherited the best team in Europe but, at least in terms of style, he took them to another level. He is also a serial winner, as a player and a manager.

There are not many managers about who have proved themselves at smaller clubs before getting their big opportunity. Other than Jose, if yiu even think of porto as a small club, I'm struggling to think of any so it's an odd thing for people to question him about.

Guardiola was questioned by an awful lot of people, myself included, about how good a manager he is as he had been handed all his success on a plate. There may still be some truth to it but most would now put him as the best manager in the world.

Our choices are quite slim, Enrique  may well be the best out of all of them. He's certainly won more and plays an incredible style of football.  

I'd be happy with Enrique. I think we have some young players that would fit a more expansive style and we also have the defenders to support such a style. 

I think the squad, under the right manager, has a lot of potential if the right loan players are called back. I think Enrique would be a good fit to our current squad and with a few selected quality additions we could be right back in it. Not to challenge City of course (as Jones have demonstarted in his post above, no one will be able to do it), but to comfortably be a top 3 side with the occasional title and cup wins.

But yeah, would hurt to be entertained in the process. 

paulw66   
1 minute ago, The_Ghost said:

Nailed it. City are run by football people. 

Ha ha ha. yes, these football people with £8 squillion quid in their bank account who are sticking 2 fingers up at UEFA over FFP. 

Football geniuses, the lot of them. 

4 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Nailed it. City are run by football people. We are run by adminstrators and lawyers. 

It makes a world of difference. 

And Accountants.

Imagine what football would be like if profits and funding weren't part of your KPIs.