• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Sir   

To be fair, we have plenty of good footballers, esp in this position. As José ditched Guarin (as expected), I hope they use the money to get Matic.

Don't even go there on Matic.

paulw66   

From the sound of the press conference it is definitely a sale, not a loan and for a hefty profit too, so the fee of EUR 18m sounds plausible.

mokilove   

He was the best keeper in the league last season by a mile

And he still is! By a mile!

Sure Cech makes mistakes, but every goalkeeper makes them. Fact is, he´s the third best in the world and Courtois is fourth. I hope we will keep Courtois as our player. It would be a shame to sell him, what a talent!

I totally get that our first choice three behind the striker is hazard - oscar - willian and on current form rightly so. Mata close behind. I would like to make two points if I may:

1 - am I the only one who hasnt seen anything from schurrle to understand why he is above kdb in the pecking order, looked very averaged everytime he has played for us.

2 - am I the only person who cannot understand why we have any interest in Rooney? He is 28 which goes against our recent buying trend, he would require astronomical wages, he wont get any better and most importantly I dont see how he fits in our system. He likes to drop deep thereby getting in oscars way. Surely we are crying out for someone who will sit in the 6 yard box and poke home everything that comes his way/ play off the last defender and has lightning pace for counter attacks. Neither of which I have seen rooney do. Not saying he isn't quality, but how about getting the type of player we need. Think Etoo of five years ago before he got old and slow.

paulw66   

I totally get that our first choice three behind the striker is hazard - oscar - willian and on current form rightly so. Mata close behind. I would like to make two points if I may:

1 - am I the only one who hasnt seen anything from schurrle to understand why he is above kdb in the pecking order, looked very averaged everytime he has played for us.

2 - am I the only person who cannot understand why we have any interest in Rooney? He is 28 which goes against our recent buying trend, he would require astronomical wages, he wont get any better and most importantly I dont see how he fits in our system. He likes to drop deep thereby getting in oscars way. Surely we are crying out for someone who will sit in the 6 yard box and poke home everything that comes his way/ play off the last defender and has lightning pace for counter attacks. Neither of which I have seen rooney do. Not saying he isn't quality, but how about getting the type of player we need. Think Etoo of five years ago before he got old and slow.

1. I like Schurrle.......different to the other AM we have. Fast, strong, hugs the touchline, two good feet and exceptional work rate. The last bit of that being the key for a JM tpye player in the system we are playing.

2. He would score tonnes of goals for us. His best scoring season for United is when he played as a lone striker (the year after Ronaldo went). Agree with comments on age, but in the summer, he will only have 12 months left on his contract and the fee wont be huge. For 2/3 or maybe even 4 years, he could make a huge difference to our team.

Am I supposed to be impressed by an effort to attack my support because you don't want to just admit you don't actually watch Cortouis? Ad hominems are fun though right? You sure showed me.

you are missing the point of the previous post. you are quick to climb all over Cech's "mistakes and weaknesses" but you obviously dont watch Courtois anywhere near as often and with the same level of scrutiny. That is to say, you are consciously aware of Cech's perceived weaknesses, and you are consciously unware of Courtois'

No I don't watch him as much as Cech. I have watched him a lot. Atletico Madrid are on Sky Sports most weeks nowadays.

I don't see any technical flaws in Courtois. I do with Cech.

kratos   

Tom I can only reason the argument for Rooney is because he has 1 year left on his current deal after this season.

Jose obviously rates him exceptionally high, to be fair any manager would.

Lukaku will return next season and Rooney's addition would provide good competition for him and Torres (if Torres is still here). But because of Rooney's flexibility on the pitch it would allow him to play in the same side as Lukaku or Torres.

The guy would improve us alot, his strength of character, his determination and will to win are the exact traits Jose looks for in a player alongside quality.

I know he's 28 now but I feel it's a risk worth taking.

Monello   

Can we keep the Cech vs Courtois discussion away from here please? I hate even thinking about it let alone seeing it in every page of the transfer thread. Thanks

paulw66   

Can we keep the Cech vs Courtois discussion away from here please? I hate even thinking about it let alone seeing it in every page of the transfer thread. Thanks

To be fair it is relevant here as whatever is decided by the club, directly affects what business we do in the summer.

With the greatest respect, your likes and dislikes are somewhat secondary........

Bison   

I hate it because of how some people seem to undervalue and disrespect Petr. It's unbelievable really. You would think the last 10 years haven't happened and we haven't had the best all-round keeper in the world at the club.