• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

23 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Exactly.

While Morata could go if he's keen on a move to Juve (not confirmed if that's the case), Zappacosta and Drinkwater only joined the club last year and are sitting pretty on their new contracts. Why would they honestly want to leave?

And therein lies the problem - sub par players bought in on decent contracts who have no desire to move on.

Tbf, Drinkwater will probably get similar wages from a West Ham type of club owing to his HG status and being a decent PL level player. Zappa would be harder to shift and would likely be loaned if he goes.

39 minutes ago, Dingus said:

And therein lies the problem 

Well, one of the problems, at least. The other 'problem' (or, complication in all this) is what the new manager (if there is to be one) thinks of these players. Let's face it, whoever gets the job may love these guys, and be able to bring out the best in them. He may also be looking to move some others on. 

synavm   

Lewandowski would obviously be pretty devastating.Bring in an attack minded central Mid so we end up with a sort of 5-3-2/3-4-3 hybrid. Maybe I'm dreaming here, but Isco or Asensio would be ideal for the link up, so we end up with:

---------------------------------------Courtois-------------------------------------

-------------------Azplicueta---David Luiz-----Rudiger-----------------

Moses-----------------------------Kante------------------------------Alonso

-----------------Asensio/Isco-------------Loftus-Cheek/Cesc--------

----------------------------------------------Hazard-------------------------------

------------------------------Lewandowski-------------------------------------

Edited by synavm

Holymoly   
41 minutes ago, synavm said:

Lewandowski would obviously be pretty devastating.

What we need to try and avoid is the one one in / one out policy we have had the last few years. We have a vanishingly small pool of first team starters if we consider the squad over the last 3/4 years. While it is may be financially astute to fund someone like Lewandowski by selling Willian or Morata it would be even better if we hung on to them too. Latterly this season the 14 names that routinely played minutes tended to be the same and once you went beyond them the remainder of the squad were either of significantly lower quality or else so lacking in match practice that it became an ever worsening spiral. I hope next season sees us start with a manager capable of juggling a squad. Only then can we expect to see some development in the younger players. I would love to see a squad that included players like Kalas, Baker, MvG, Omeruo, Boga, Kenedy, Batshuayi, Aina, Abraham, RLC, Musonda and Zouma given a meaningful chance rather than spend multiples of £10m+ on fringe players that end up with the same number of appearances and little impact on the first team. Spend the money on one star player every year and demand progression from the younger players to fill in the gaps that appear during the season. Pretty soon we would end up with a formidably deep squad for comparatibely less outlay.

Oh, and finally stop this arbitrary contract demarcation once a player hits 30. If he's good enough, he's young enough. Stop thinking resale value on veteran players. You can't put a price on experience. Zola was 30 when he arrived at the Bridge. Imagine what our history would have been had we had this "rule" back then.

Dingus   
3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Oh, and finally stop this arbitrary contract demarcation once a player hits 30. If he's good enough, he's young enough. Stop thinking resale value on veteran players. You can't put a price on experience. Zola was 30 when he arrived at the Bridge. Imagine what our history would have been had we had this "rule" back then.

I don't think people can help that given the club's stance in recent years to favor players with a potential resale value.

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

Yes, and I’d suggest that there’s a reason why many of those games were as a sub.

Also, it’s not 3 attacking positions supporting the striker is it? We played with 1 on Saturday, and 2 at most, this season and last.

And finally, it’s not 4 or 5 attacking players it’s 3 - Hazard, Willian and Pedro, where Willian is clearly the second strongest and therein lies the problem.  I’ll repeat, our attack is not as good as Liverpool, City or Man Uniteds (individually) both in terms of quality and depth, and that is why we finished 5th.

There’s no two ways about it, if we want to improve next season, we need a more productive attacker. 

I think you just explained why it is so hard for a Chelsea AM to impress, and why it is so much easier for the teams that finished top 4 to put  4 or 5 fresh AMs & strikers in the starting lineup each game.

2 hours ago, jones said:

It would massively surprise me if Jokanovic was appointed. I guess the club is throwing around less expensive names to lower the negotiation power of Sarri/Enrique.

I think the press have always had to guess about Chelsea managers.  Arsenal has always been pretty leak friendly, and the press got that wrong too.  Really not much point reading what the papers say, might as well get your news on hear,

Just now, Holymoly said:

I hope next season sees us start with a manager capable of juggling a squad. Only then can we expect to see some development in the younger players. I would love to see a squad that included players like Kalas, Baker, MvG, Omeruo, Boga, Kenedy, Batshuayi, Aina, Abraham, RLC, Musonda and Zouma given a meaningful chance rather than spend multiples of £10m+ on fringe players that end up with the same number of appearances and little impact on the first team.

Well certainly I would want that too.  But I can't imagine anyone bringing many of that list into the squad.  I'd guess that Bats, Abraham, RLC have a 50% chance.  Zouma only if we get rid of 2 CBs this summer so he'd be CB4 (and no chance if the next manager wants 3 at the back).  MVG and Mount about a 25% chance each.

3 minutes ago, Dingus said:

I don't think people can help that given the club's stance in recent years to favor players with a potential resale value.

Well no - that was policy to 2014.  Then we changed to a "find the final pieces to win the PL" policy, buying Ba, Drogba, Pata and Falcao on loan, Fabregas, Pedro, Luiz mk 2, Giroud!!!

I hope we do go back to a buying long term talent strategy - because I can't see the point in buying for our likely short term.

Ham   

I'm not sure why so many have written Slavisa off so easily just because he's not already at a european powerhouse. It's pure supporter snobbery. 

He's doing a superb job at Fulham.  Why would he not do even better with better quality players? 

7 minutes ago, Ham said:

I'm not sure why so many have written Slavisa off so easily just because he's not already at a european powerhouse. It's pure supporter snobbery. 

He's doing a superb job at Fulham.  Why would he not do even better with better quality players? 

It  would be pretty unusual for Chelsea to go for such a non-name.  The only thing similar would be RdM or Grant, but they were both internal appointments and although a widely debated point could both be seen as temporary or short term.  

We shouldn't forget that there are 2 important games between now and the WC.  One of them is the CL final, so no news but plenty of speculation will be about the next RM manage.  The other is Fulham vs Villa - so ditto about Jokanovic.

Out of interest - Villa or Fulham?  My loyalties are with JT on balance.  Anyone else have a preference?

7 minutes ago, Ham said:

Moyes.  And if you stick to that approach Dyche or Howe would be better.

Edited by Droy was my hero

18 minutes ago, Ham said:

I think he got Watford up too didn't he ?

I'm guessing things would probably hinge on whether Fulham go up and he wants to stay and see the fruits of his labours?