• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

41 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Every year this thread reads exactly the same. 

We don't know what we're doing.

Everyone else is signing all the best players. 

We don't even seem to be looking at anyone. 

We are going on a quick downward spiral. 

We we are one of the most successful clubs in England. Nobody stays at the very top season after season. 

Why do we have to suffer all this negativity every bloody window. We don't know what is going on behind the scenes. We never know what is going on behind the scenes. So why always focus on the "oh woe is us"  attitude. 

Becauae we are football fans!

Holymoly   
44 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Every year this thread reads exactly the same. 

1.We don't know what we're doing.

2.Everyone else is signing all the best players. 

3.We don't even seem to be looking at anyone. 

4.We are going on a quick downward spiral. 

We we are one of the most successful clubs in England. Nobody stays at the very top season after season. 

Why do we have to suffer all this negativity every bloody window. We don't know what is going on behind the scenes. We never know what is going on behind the scenes. So why always focus on the "oh woe is us"  attitude. 

I think the thing that frustrates many on this forum is the way in which we appear to shoot ourselves in the foot so often and that any success appears to be in spite of the goings on at board and mangerial level rather than because of it. The last twice we won the league we didn't really consolidate our superiority by strengthening the squad and consequently rather than the rest getting better the downturn was more due to us failing to improve. The last time I remember us taking advantage of our success was when we acquired Hazard after winning the Champions League. It is almost as if the board thinks "we're the best, let's consolidate rather than destabilise things by bringing in anyone new".

Kante's acquisition was the last really good signing we made. It addressed a need in the squad and we bought the best option in the world. The rest of the time we have bought purely adequate players at inflated prices/wages, usually just to sit on the bench.

So, to address your points.

1. Certainly we, the punters, have no idea what the club is doing viz a viz a transfer policy apart from the arbitrary age cap on players.

2. Apart from Kante I would agree that if it's not us buying the best players then someone else must be.

3. We seem to look at a lot of players, and look and look then someone else buys them and we end up with option 3 or 4.

4. If you accept that the realistic bottom of the spiral is mid table then by dropping from 1st to 5th is already half way there.

Are we in danger of being relegated? No, not in the foreseeable future anyway, but equally are we in danger of challenging for a title with the squad of players we ended last season with? The answer is just the same I'm afraid. Yes they are basically the same players who won the league, albeit a year or two older, but the other teams have strengthened and improved. We have not. The first team needs improvement, not just the squad.

Oh, and going back to your first point, we could really do with sorting out who is going to manage the team next season.

• Like 1

Sea foot   
20 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Becauae we are football fans!

Doesn't mean we have to be depressed every window though does it.

5 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Doesn't mean we have to be depressed every window though does it.

Almost anyone I've ever met who follows football is depressed about their team in some way. Even Man City fans must have their gripes.

Sea foot   

Sorry. Just can't get all riled up about things that I don't know about or things that I have no control over. Doesn't mean I'm over the moon with our dealings over the last few windows but I'll be happy or p***ed off when the new season starts and I know what we have.

But if it makes me a proper fan then...... 

Grrr Abramovic can't even organise his own visa.

Grrr Conte, what does he know.  

Grrr why aren't we even looking at players, what are we playing at. 

Grrr don't even get me started on our inept board.

Wow, I've never felt like a truer fan. 

Edited by Sea foot

Leo91   

Not gonna lie, jealous of City getting Jorginho. Him and Kante together had me excited.

10 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Sorry. Just can't get all riled up about things that I don't know about or things that I have no control over. Doesn't mean I'm over the moon with our dealings over the last few windows but I'll be happy or p***ed off when the new season starts and I know what we have.

But if it makes me a proper fan then...... 

Grrr Abramovic can't even organise his own visa.

Grrr Conte, what does he know.  

Grrr why aren't we even looking at players, what are we playing at. 

Grrr don't even get me started on our inept board.

Wow, I've never felt like a truer fan. 

Just how I feel, too.

22 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

2 ditto.  The reason 14-17 was so much shorter is simple I reckon.  03-10 was done City style by outspending everyone bar RM.  2011-17 was done by matching the spending of most top 6 clubs, while being some way behind Man U, and a long way behind BM, RM, Barca, PSG and City.

We are no longer sustainable as a top club except in short periods of 3 or 4 years.  Cycles is all we can hope for from now on.
Liverpool and spurs are on up-cycles, we are on a down cycle and need to rebuild talent.

3,   I'd also argue that we have already attempted to rebuild the side.

Here I disagree.  We have been patching up the 14-17 team, not looking to 2022.  A large part of the problem was giving Conte too much control.  (which might be the flip side of Emenalo and long term planning leaving).  Bats, Bakayoko and Kante are for the medium or longer term.  The Academy+ produced Christensen this year, but the timing of youth stars is random.  But all the other purchases were  about numbers (an urgent short term issue for the manager, but unless they are potentially exceptional players not a long term move).  Morata was a desperate buy to replace Costa (and irrespective of whether Conte would have preferred the more expensive Lukaku, he was clearly a Conte choice).  Giroud is the perfect example of a square peg to fill a very short term square hole.

---------------------

A latecomer to the site - clearly you are not on message about Conte being constantly shafted by a non-existent football director and being given players out of Italy Conte didn't want!

4.  Maybe because the club has spent £230m on worldies like Bakayoko, Morata, Batshuayi, Zappacosta, Barkley, Drinkwater and Emerson?

We have also bought Rudiger and Kante.  Buying players is always a bit hit and miss.  

We got desperately short of players, then bought them like crazy.  I'm sure Conte was part of the process that left us so short in August 2017.  He certainly was the man who bought the players afterwards.

2. You make a good point. I also think that our time in the sun is over. We will revert back to the old Chelsea pre-Roman but with higher highs than Ken Bates Chelsea. That in itself is a massive failure on Romans behalf. We had the chance to cement ourselves at the very top but made wrong decisions early on unfortunately and that has meant that despite the 2-4 year head start we had over most clubs now is gone and we find ourselves in the same position in the Money League as we did pre-Roman. One might even argue that we have reverted compared to other clubs around us.

3. Agree to disagree then. I feel it's easy to look back at the purchases and disregard them as depth signings. But spending £230m on average depth players is a massive outlay imo.

As for the bolded bit, yeah I'm new here but already quite surprised over;

- Internal fights between us in here and the scoring of imaginary internet points

- The need to make up excuses for managers/players/clubs failures 

4. Yeah Rüdiger and Kanté has been good signings (if not excellent signings). But two signings out of 14 isn't a particularly good hit rate.

10 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Di Marzio reporting Courtois has failed to agree a new contract, Chelsea are looking to sell, Madrid and Liverpool are interested - and that we have bid for Allison as a replacement. 

If this is true, it wouldn't surprise me. Courtois has been flirting with Madrid for ages, never thought he would sign a new deal.

I won't shed a tear for him. Never liked him, never warmed to him and not too fussed if he leaves. Plus, I think he's massively overrated. 

Secretly hoping he'd signed for Liverpool and that they revert back to their normal self in not too long. 

3 hours ago, Dingus said:

Everything happening with the club at the moment just isn’t sitting right with me.

From the ongoing managerial issues, lack of any news of players coming in, the likes of Hazard and Courtois potentially leaving, the direction for the club as a whole, and then this issue with Roman not being allowed in the U.K., I really get the impression that the bubble is about to burst and we’re on a downward trajectory from this point onwards.

That has been evident since about 2011. That this was the general direction the club was taking. It seems to be getting worse and worse for every passing summer. 

I also don't have very high hopes for the clubs development from here on.