• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

22 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

2. You make a good point. I also think that our time in the sun is over. We will revert back to the old Chelsea pre-Roman but with higher highs than Ken Bates Chelsea. That in itself is a massive failure on Romans behalf. We had the chance to cement ourselves at the very top but made wrong decisions early on unfortunately and that has meant that despite the 2-4 year head start we had over most clubs now is gone and we find ourselves in the same position in the Money League as we did pre-Roman. One might even argue that we have reverted compared to other clubs around us.

Hardly that.  By 2002 we were all spent out, and would have needed to cut back without a new owner - actually had already cut back, with just a free transfer in for 2002 if I recall.
3rd or 4th then was the top of our cycle.

Since then Man U have maintained their earning  capacity.
Arsenal have fallen a longway back in earnings  (because of or despite the stadium?)
Liverpool fell and then got a lot of it back in last 3 or 4 years.
Spurs have surprised on the upside in performances but I suspect they currently punch well above budget
And City have overwhelmed everyone with there earnings income.

We have gone from a middling club to a top 5 club with earnings power to match - and with RA quite reasonably expecting the club now to run itself while he builds a stadium - that is all we should hope for.
Turning our fanbase into the size of Man U's was always a hopeless dream.  Making RA fund the squad for another 10 years was also not reasonable.

33 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

3. Agree to disagree then. I feel it's easy to look back at the purchases and disregard them as depth signings. But spending £230m on average depth players is a massive outlay imo.

On the other hand we got rid of a lot of depth players first - leaving the squad bare.  JT, Ivanovic, Mikel, Ramires, Matic, Oscar, Costa - for some big money in some cases and massive wages in others.

35 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

4. Yeah Rüdiger and Kanté has been good signings (if not excellent signings). But two signings out of 14 isn't a particularly good hit rate.

I'd say Rudiger has been excellent and Kante superlative.
The others not so great - but signings are always a lot hit and miss.

And IMO, Emerson and Barkley have not been tested yet (though I have little confidence in Barkley).

40 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

That has been evident since about 2011. That this was the general direction the club was taking. It seems to be getting worse and worse for every passing summer. 

No apart from Torres, 2011 began the hyper well managed club.  We bought in buckets of young talent by outbidding other clubs for proven young talent - the rule seemed to be :

• Young with passport for UK
  • 50+ games in a decent league (= proven)
  • In demand - other clubs bidding high for the same player
  • Pay 10-20% more than the competing bidders

Which is a great way to play the market with very few bad choices if you believe valuations are low.
Hazard, Azpi, Courtois, Oscar and others all came that way

45 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I also don't have very high hopes for the clubs development from here on. 

We should be going back to 2011 policies only it is hard to see much value out there.  I think the right thing to do is to wait till prices fall and then hover up young talent again.  

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Hardly that.  By 2002 we were all spent out, and would have needed to cut back without a new owner - actually had already cut back, with just a free transfer in for 2002 if I recall.
3rd or 4th then was the top of our cycle.

we have gone from a middling club to a top 5 club with earnings power to match - and with RA quite reasonably expecting the club now to run itself while he builds a stadium - that is all we should hope for.
Turning our fanbase into the size of Man U's was always a hopeless dream.  Making RA fund the squad for another 10 years was also not reasonable.  

Lots of good points again but I'm in a slight rush so don't have time to reply to it all. 

I'll say this though, looking at the Money League it doesn't seem we made great strides at all;

1. Man U €217.2m

9. Chelsea €118.4m

2018: 

1. Man U €676.3m

8. Chelsea €428m

We are still a top 10 side, but in the early Roman years we were were on the verge of establishing ourselves as a top 5 club (2005-2010). That ship has sailed now. Can't help to feel that it's been a missed opportunity. 

8 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

We are still a top 10 side, but in the early Roman years we were were on the verge of establishing ourselves as a top 5 club (2005-2010). That ship has sailed now. Can't help to feel that it's been a missed opportunity. 

Could we ever had as much fan-based income as Man U. BM, RM or Barca.  I don't think that was ever possible.  At least not without spending on the PSG/MC levels.

A lot of this has to do with the domestic TV deal for Barca and RM, which turns them into money making machines while at the same time destroying La Liga as a competition.  I don't think we can fight that until a Euro super league comes along.

xCELERYx   
5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Why spend £50m on a decent keeper when you can get Joe Hart for £5m ? 

Can confirm this checks out. 

No new stadium then.

To me that either means Roman is on his way out or maybe a summer spending spree?

In all seriousness though, the club is getting left in the dust here. It was going to be a couple of years away from becoming a reality anyway but now there’s no date set to re-evaluate? Wow, just wow.

Rob B   

I think this tweet summarises it quite well, and let’s be honest, who can blame Roman?

And to those hoping we’re all of a sudden going to start splashing the cash in the transfer market, prepare to be disappointed!

97BF69B9-5DF8-4D6F-BBCD-7E06725EDA35.png

synavm   

Quite concerning that. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us put up for sale if the visa doesn’t materialise... I just hope it doesn’t get nasty and he doesn’t convert his shares back to debt and call in his loans. That’ll be curtains for us- unthinkable.

Edited by synavm

Apparently he's also withdrawn his request for a UK Visa .

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Apparently he's also withdrawn his request for a UK Visa .

Isn't this because he doesn't need one now that he has an Israeli passport?