• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I'll be honest and admit I have not read the whole thread, but how do the last three seasons being  5th, 2nd, 3rd and 2nd with Napoli mean we won't be challenging?

Because Serie A isn't as competitive overall like the EPL. Outside of Juve all of the other renown top clubs have continuously yo-yo'ed up and down the table in recent years. Inter Milan looked the real deal this season and then fell apart from Christmas onwards - Roma similar. AC Milan were meant to turn back the clock with the investments they made and never got going. You can look back over the previous seasons and the story is similar. They've all lacked the consistency over the course of each season besides Juve. Which has ultimately seen teams like Roma, Lazio, Inter and AC Milan come and go, while some of the lesser fancied sides have made pushes like Atalanta, Sassuolo and Fiorentina into the top half of the table. 

That's largely where Napoli has had the success they have had in recent years, they've been the only other side aside from Juve to manage a consistent run throughout the season. Even then, Napoli absolutely blew their chance this year to win the league when they only managed 2 wins from 6 games heading into the final stretch. Then any remaining hope they had after actually beating Juve with a handful of games left, they immediately squanded with a follow up loss to Fiorentina and then a draw with Torino. 

Unfortunately, context can get a little lost when looking at things on face value alone. Largely overshadowed by the manner of football played because that's the better story and narrative. Didn't see this when Roma played some excellent football during their years under Spalletti for example. 

Edited by xCELERYx

20 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Unfortunately, context can get a little lost when looking at things on face value alone.

A lot of smoke and mirrors here.

Juve have the money, always have had.  Everyone else has to compete on a much lower budget.  Anyone who gets close to Juve is doing well - and any club other than Juve that gets 91 points has had one hell of a season.  You can't take away Sarri's deserved credit for 91 points with Napoli and his last 3 seasons.

23 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Because Serie A isn't as competitive overall like the EPL

Glad to see you admit this.  I still wonder why anyone bothers watching Serie A.  Even Italians.  Neverthless the bottom half of Serie A is stronger than any other league  except the prem.  Getting 91 points there is a lot harder than getting it in France, Germany, or Spain.

30 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Even then, Napoli absolutely blew their chance this year to win the league when they only managed 2 wins from 6 games heading into the final stretch. Then any remaining hope they had after actually beating Juve with a handful of games left, they immediately squanded with a follow up loss to Fiorentina and then a draw with Torino.

Meanwhile , Conte thrown to the Lions for failing to qualify for the CL by not winning the last two games , even though he won the cup.

It's amazing what you can get away with when you play football "the right way" see Wenger. 

I'm surprised Jose hasn't tried it .

4 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I would be 100% happy if we come 4th the next few years. 

Would you not be?

Coming top 4 and playing football anything like Napoli would be amazing. Certainly a lot better than coming 5th and playing like we do under Conte.

Wow

someone who is happy to be an also ran. 

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

For the next 3 years and the current starting point absolutely.

It’s going to be interesting to see your match analysis come September.

If the club employ Sarri. 

23 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Wow

someone who is happy to be an also ran. 

Absolutely. 

I'd love us to go and compete with City and United financially but we will not get anywhere near them.

19 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

It’s going to be interesting to see your match analysis come September.

If the club employ Sarri. 

I spent the last 9 months praising Conte for not finishing 6th with the squad we had on Sept 1st.  4th would be even better.  I'm not too bothered about doing it with style, but I do think it would be a lot easier to do it with some more attacking players in both team and on bench. 

But key seems to be getting Conte's hands off the cheque book, and giving it to someone who starts planning in May and not 3 weeks into the season.  Someone who will buy the players we need, not sit on his or her hands if he/she doesn't get the players they want.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I spent the last 9 months praising Conte for not finishing 6th with the squad we had on Sept 1st.  4th would be even better.  I'm not too bothered about doing it with style, but I do think it would be a lot easier to do it with some more attacking players in both team and on bench. 

But key seems to be getting Conte's hands off the cheque book, and giving it to someone who starts planning in May and not 3 weeks into the season.  Someone who will buy the players we need, not sit on his or her hands if he/she doesn't get the players they want.

1st paragraph is pretty much true , once he'd engineered a thirteen game win streak you did get behind him and in all honesty you have done since although a part of me thinks that might be down to your studied contraryness when everyone else has turned against him.

Second paragraph is nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

1st paragraph is pretty much true , once he'd engineered a thirteen game win streak you did get behind him and in all honesty you have done since although a part of me thinks that might be down to your studied contraryness when everyone else has turned against him.

Second paragraph is nonsense. 

I noticed that, too.

41 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'd explain it as a refusal to over react - especially to not over react to events that were widely predicted, even by those that over reacted.

Actually I got behind him from game One of the 13.  Right after we stopped playing with all those guys static in the wrong places.  The players did too.  
Posts from the next game

DWMH For the first time Conte had them STANDING IN THE RIGHT PLACES.  Kante was every running around the right areas.  If, (IF), Conte continues the new commonsense instructions, then we can talk about COMMANDING THE RIGHT AREAS.  (Kante and Moses already).  But yesterday was a lot of progress for one game.

DWMH The change in defensive block is far more important that how many CBs we had IMO. And it is the self same thing as pressing and wining the ball in the centre circle.  It killed off the game 2nd half in a way we failed to do against 2 other weak teams, WHU & Burnley.

Nice to look back and see just how many people made the same comments about the higher block being the big improvement.

2nd part is perfectly sensible unless you take Conte's comments "I don't buy the players and I don't know who is coming next week" seriously.  Which would be an insult to common sense as well as to Conte.  Fortunately the forum has moved on and no one claims to believe them anymore.

Edited by Droy was my hero