• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Personally ,  as long as we don't leave " the coach" whoever that may be , high and dry then I suppose £60m is good value.

I think this deal has been brewing for ages though , I'm sure the same thing was reported last summer.

Well Conte hasn't complained before so I'm sure he will be happy with what he has left.

xCELERYx   
25 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

What is it with this this increasingly common belief that footballers turn in to pumpkins on their 30th birthday? Thank goodness we didn't have this narrow minded attitude when we signed Zola or Vialli.

I suppose it depends on the player and their style of play. For someone like Willian, his speed and athletic qualities are two big parts of his game. These will naturally decline quicker than other areas, once they do the question becomes more about how effective he still remains. Players like Zola and Vialli never had games that relied on their athletic qualities but more about guile, smarts, movement and finishing. The question remains about how long Willian has at the level he offers and if his game will age well. £60m is good money for a near 30 year old that may not be as effective in 2+3 years time. 

Holymoly   
1 minute ago, xCELERYx said:

I suppose it depends on the player and their style of play. For someone like Willian, his speed and athletic qualities are two big parts of his game. These will naturally decline quicker than other areas, once they do the question becomes more about how effective he still remains. Players like Zola and Vialli never had games that relied on their athletic qualities but more about guile, smarts, movement and finishing. The question remains about how long Willian has at the level he offers and if his game will age well. £60m is good money for a near 30 year old that may not be as effective in 2+3 years time. 

Going on that logic Cesc will be around for 10 or 15 years then.

xCELERYx   
3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Going on that logic Cesc will be around for 10 or 15 years then.

In the right environment Fabregas still has a few good years left. Whether that's at Chelsea or not, we'll have to wait and see. Pirlo joined Juve at the age of 32 and was still a highly influential player for 4 more seasons. Why? Because he the team was setup in a manner that allowed him to thrive without greatly exposing his weaknesses - which were quite similar to thay of Fabregas'. 

jones   

Cesc in a three man midfield with three attacking players in front of him. That is going to feel like a new signing.

9 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I suspect Willian has gone, and it'd be hard to argue with him based on last season.

Starting for Brazil - not many players are good enough to do that.  And they deserve to be in a team with a chance of winning stuff.  Willian will be 32 before that is possible again here.

9 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I think it's sensible business for a club sliding into mid table mediocrity to divest itself of its highly priced stars.

I don't think we are talking mediocrity, but otherwise yes.

1 hour ago, jones said:

Cesc in a three man midfield with three attacking players in front of him. That is going to feel like a new signing.

Sounds good to me

Leo91   

If I wanted to support a business I'd buy shares in Amazon. We should not be selling Willian to Man Utd for anything less than eye balking money. 

16 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

If I wanted to support a business I'd buy shares in Amazon. We should not be selling Willian to Man Utd for anything less than eye balking money. 

Chelsea Football Club is now a business modelled on Arsenal but without having to finish in the top four.

Ham   
2 minutes ago, Gormangorman said:

Chelsea Football Club is now a business modelled on Arsenal but without having to finish in the top four.

Oh give it a rest. Every day. Same thing. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Oh give it a rest. Every day. Same thing. 

You're going to be in for a long sad next few years