Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Ham   
1 hour ago, Gormangorman said:

You're going to be in for a long sad next few years

Certainly if I keep reading your posts. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Starting for Brazil - not many players are good enough to do that.  And they deserve to be in a team with a chance of winning stuff.  Willian will be 32 before that is possible again here.

If ManUre are prepared to give one of there rivals £100 million in 12 months for aging players I am happy with that. 

Where it’s going pear shape is the club not having a DoF or scouting team to identify replacements or strengthen where the squad is light.

BTW - manure is on the road to palpable discord. Tick tock tick tock. 

synavm   
20 hours ago, Holymoly said:

What is it with this this increasingly common belief that footballers turn in to pumpkins on their 30th birthday? Thank goodness we didn't have this narrow minded attitude when we signed Zola or Vialli.

It's partly the position he plays - very, very rare that wingers continue to perform into their 30s - can only really think of a couple and one of them has really adapted to be more of an inside forward. Willian will only have one or two more seasons at the level we're used to, so why not cash in reinvest in a more long term option? In the age of FFP we have to be shrewd. As has been pointed out, the difficult part will be identifying the right options long term in the absence of a DofF or any real coherent structure to the club.

Edited by synavm

37 minutes ago, synavm said:

It's partly the position he plays - very, very rare that wingers continue to perform into their 30s - can only really think of a couple and one of them has really adapted to be more of an inside forward. Willian will only have one or two more seasons at the level we're used to, so why not cash in reinvest in a more long term option? In the age of FFP we have to be shrewd. As has been pointed out, the difficult part will be identifying the right options long term in the absence of a DofF or any real coherent structure to the club.

No, that point is daft. Scouting is dead, and has been for a long time; every club knows about every talent on the planet and what makes the difference is being able to get the talent. A few countries and clubs have an advantage in terms work permits or cultures, for others the advantage is being able to offer that extra bit of money. That was us, it probably isn't any more.

The one thing it is absolutely plainly clear this club has is a consistent, coherent structure. The idea that a 'Director of Football', a post that there doesn't seem to be any externally congruent job description for, makes any difference is magical thinking.

Edited by thevelourfog

Kezza   

The guy who stands and has one foot on the ball at the edge of the penalty box, does a feint and then pass outside or backwards. For 60M. Take the money in invest in a younger more productive player.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

No, that point is daft. Scouting is dead, and has been for a long time; every club knows about every talent on the planet and what makes the difference is being able to get the talent. A few countries and clubs have an advantage in terms work permits or cultures, for others the advantage is being able to offer that extra bit of money. That was us, it probably isn't any more.

The one thing it is absolutely plainly clear this club has is a consistent, coherent structure. The idea that a 'Director of Football', a post that there doesn't seem to be any externally congruent job description for, makes any difference is magical thinking.

I agree with the first part.  Every club knows every talent.  It isn't about identifying talent.  Scouting is dead.

But I disagree with the Director of Football role.
The Coach is there to maximise the squad he has over the next 12 to 24 months, and that includes having the main vote on players bought to play in that period.

The DoF is there to plan for the longer term.  And to identify those moments when a team is close to being really good, and thus justifies some short term investments to try to win stuff.  

So yes the club had a coherent structure.  It's strategy over 2011-2017 worked perfectly as we re-built and then focused to win stuff.  But in the last year it has lurched to buying to patch up a sinking squad when it should have been re-building the next one.  The "coherent structure" has failed abysmally this season, and surely the absence of a DoF must be the main reason.

^ Perhaps my second point was too strong or dismissive; I don't think simply having a DoF will make identifying and acquiring talent as simple for us as it has previously been, but having someone in player recruitment who out lasts a coach/manager is important, whatever that role is called. 

Sea foot   

Someone like Michael Emelano you mean?

Sorry but £60m for Willian is money you do not turn down. It is a bit like how we tried to sign Rooney in 2013; Utd should have taken the money as his physical state droped off quickly. Willian for me is a similar player, highly gifted but relies on his athleticism that he has naturally and does not work on in the gym/through a rigourous fitness regime. For me when the end comes for Willian it will happen swiftly and it is likely he is quickly approaching that moment.

That said, his leaving would create problems of who we replace him with. The 'cleanest' would be a swap involving Martial. However, I find him too much of a confidence player which makes me wary of him coming here for top dollar. Players in AM I would personally like would be Zaha (love his physicality), Bailey (exciting), Pulisic (a lot of potential) or Thauvin/Depay (both of these players were amazing in Ligue 1 last season and have some experience of the EPL - could see one of them pulling a Salah.)