• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

JaneB   
9 hours ago, Faramir said:

"A very strange hill for you (to) desperately try to die on."

Hi Jane. I think that saying is similar to, "pick your battles". In a world war 2 situation there would be strategic locations (hills) where a soldier's death was not pointless because he gave his life defending his country and his fellow soldiers in a manner that helped the cause.

On the other hand, a soldier could make a reckless or thoughtless or poor choice which led to his death.

Of course, the stakes get higher when those choices are made by Officers, or Generals, or Heads of State... or signing Chelsea's 3rd choice GK.

Hi there, thank you so much.  You learn something everyday on here!!

I would imagine at this point with the short window and the World Cup late arrivals , coupled to a new manager and a new work ethic and "Sarriball" it would probably be the wisest course to keep our powder dry so to speak and sort out any shortcomings in the January window , as annoying and worrying as it can seem .

Maybe with a more attacking approach our more attacking players ( Hazard , Pedro, Willian ) will flourish , maybe we will finally get to see a "Salah season" from Hazard ?

Morata is a worry for me , he was dreadful for the second part of last season and truly awful in Perth but the truth of the matter is there is a genuine dearth of quality strikers available which is also possibly why Bats' stock has risen so highly. 

However , it is what it is at this stage. 

JaneB   
1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm sure that's not the case. Always weird when you're accustomed to a phrase and other people tell you they've never heard it, but it must happen all the time.

Well I've certainly heard of it now!

I'm starting the morning shift now, DWMH can clock off.

😂

4 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Twitter sources indicate he can't get a UK work permit yet (Croatians don't have full freedom of movement) so he's only played friendlies overseas for us. Otherwise yes I'd hope he'd be well ahead of Bakayoko and Drinkwater. 

Wasn't he born in Germany, though? I was under the impression that, just as in France, Germany operated the principle of jus sanguinis and jus soli regarding citizenship/nationality

I get the Green signing but can we not do the whole smiley contract signing pics and welcome video?! sneak him in via the backdoor, its embarrassing to parade him like this especially with all the Courtois rumours  

5 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Twitter sources indicate he can't get a UK work permit yet (Croatians don't have full freedom of movement) so he's only played friendlies overseas for us. Otherwise yes I'd hope he'd be well ahead of Bakayoko and Drinkwater. 

Well we paid £40m for Bakayoko and £35m for Danny Drinkwater while Pasalic has just gone on loan to Atalanta with an option to buy for just £13.5m so it really doesn't look like he's held in anywhere near as high regard as Baka or Drinkwater. Which seems wrong, but there we go.

Edited by Bridge Soldier

paulw66   
12 hours ago, Rob B said:

Maybe the 3rd choice keeper dictates what we are able to do elsewhere (e.g. now able to sell a homegrow outfield player, thus freeing up funds for an incoming) 

Or perhaps we have separate people working on different deals?

Or we have the same people working on all deals, but this one just happened to be straight forward and easy to complete.

The reality is that I’m sure the club aren’t sat around twiddling their thumbs! 

Well quite. Without securing the HG GK, you don't know how many foreign players you can fit in your 25

12 hours ago, Ham said:

Maybe, just maybe, the board actually have a plan and they are cleverly filling a home grown spot to facilitate another move/moves.

Like moving pieces around a chess board in preparation for the kill.

As always, I'll wait until the transfer windows are closed before judging our summer. 

Yup, me too.

12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Quite, it isn't even my subjective opinion.  I'm just pointing out that it is quite possible for people to get upset over the smallest things. often unreasonably.  Like those who think JM wearing a gilet or Willian covering photoshopping one person out are some how hugely offensive acts.  

Not one person said those things were offensive acts. They riled some people. Very different. 

9 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

Why would we accept less? Who exactly are we going to buy that will replace him? There is currently an absolute dearth of CF's and most of those that are of the right level cannot be brought - Icardi - or are getting on - Lewandowski, Higuian etc. Additionally, Giroud is ok bit is best off the bench and I would not want him as our CF1 if we want top 4. As for Bats you may as well as call him Bats*it when he plays in a lone CF role. Honestly, his off the ball ability (which is about 60% of a CF's game) is absolutely shocking.

His hold up play is awful too. He's a good finisher, but his CF game is very poor 

9 hours ago, Faramir said:

"A very strange hill for you (to) desperately try to die on."

Hi Jane. I think that saying is similar to, "pick your battles". In a world war 2 situation there would be strategic locations (hills) where a soldier's death was not pointless because he gave his life defending his country and his fellow soldiers in a manner that helped the cause.

On the other hand, a soldier could make a reckless or thoughtless or poor choice which led to his death.

Of course, the stakes get higher when those choices are made by Officers, or Generals, or Heads of State... or signing Chelsea's 3rd choice GK.

Nice history lesson, thank you. 

8 hours ago, Kezza said:

It's pretty clear our deal makers are negotiators are thoroughly incompetent. If the Higuain to Milan and Rugani rumors are true they should have sensed and ascertain this and stop wasting time and focus on other targets. Part of getting a deal through is having a feel of your current position and advantage you hold.if it is unfavourable you stop putting yourself in that position and move on from a party that never wanted to do a deal with you in the first place. We have seen many collapsed deal with this management recently. Are they incompetent? What a waste of time.

The trouble is though, we don't know they ARE true. So why get so annoyed. The club has always operated in a fairly "closed doors" manner since 2003 and none of us know what exactly is going on behind the scenes; so until anything happens, I struggle to be able to get too annoyed about internet rumour. Maybe we do have other targets than Higuain? Maybe the deal is already done. Wasn't Jorginho to City a done deal? 

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, JamesEsquire said:

I get the Green signing but can we not do the whole smiley contract signing pics and welcome video?! sneak him in via the backdoor, its embarrassing to parade him like this especially with all the Courtois rumours  

Nice way to welcome a new player. Great idea. Perhaps you'd like to train with a mask on? 

3 minutes ago, JamesEsquire said:

I hate the shirt holding pics... player wearing training top with one sponsors name, holds up another shirt in a contrived manner so as to show off main sponsor AND sleeve sponsor! Looks bloody ridiculous.