• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

No option to buy according to a few on Twitter 

If he plays well here, and likes it in the PL, maybe the club are hoping the player says he wants to move. Who knows. From what I have read, Real needed a hook to get Chelsea to allow Courtois to go (bearing in mind time constraints) and Kovacic was their best option

Even if we have an option to buy the player has to agree, and he might easily prefer to return to Madrid and succeed Modric. 

Great player but every minute he plays blocks a player that we own. Also, he is best suited to playing no.4 or no.6 which are in the hands of Jorginho and Kanté.

23 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

One last unrelated thing. Some rumours for a Manc friend of mine that apprantly Zouma may go to Utd in some sort of deal that send Martial to us for a sizable chunk of change. I am not sure where he is getting that info and am putting into the BS category. However, if we could do that, then that would make a decent signing for us (I am not 100% convinced by Martial's confidence/mental side) and give Zouma a good opportunity. 

I think that's a mish-mash of several stories. Rumours started emerging yesterday that with Leicester not keen on selling Maguire, Boateng having turned them down, etc., Jose was now looking at Kurt Zouma. Then there were the earlier stories of a Willian for Martial swap. Mix 'em all up... et voilà!

1 minute ago, chiswickblue said:

Even if we have an option to buy the player has to agree, and he might easily prefer to return to Madrid and succeed Modric. 

Great player but every minute he plays blocks a player that we own. Also, he is best suited to playing no.4 or no.6 which are in the hands of Jorginho and Kanté.

In which case he's an upgrade on Drinkwater to sit on the bench 😉

Just now, Bob Singleton said:

I think that's a mish-mash of several stories. Rumours started emerging yesterday that with Leicester not keen on selling Maguire, Boateng having turned them down, etc., Jose was now looking at Kurt Zouma. Then there were the earlier stories of a Willian for Martial swap. Mix 'em all up... et voilà!

Ah, that would make sense. I thought it was not likely. 

bONes   

The signing that excites me the most is Kovacic. He has incredible close ball control and great acceleration to lose his marker in midfield and essentially cut of the first line of defence. This will come in so handy against the teams who pack 10 players without the ball. Kova can take a line of 5 out of the game .

Morata's confidence and finishing is currently poor, but I hope he can still keep running and opening spaces - Kovacic will be there to place those passes for him.

1 hour ago, Dingus said:

Whilst I'm happy that we've got some decent reinforcements in, I do feel a bit for RLC.

Decided he wanted to give it a go here this season and now Kovacic will more than likely play ahead of him.

But here's hoping that Sarri will play the players on merit and he can try and stake his place in the team.

I think RLC's opportunities are going to come further up the field, TBH. I can see him being used in the front three far more than the middle three. I didn't think he was especially impressive in the World Cup, but what he did well was use strength and acceleration to hold off and beat defenders high up the pitch. That is the kind of ability we are struggling with numbers-wise.

20 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I think RLC's opportunities are going to come further up the field, TBH. I can see him being used in the front three far more than the middle three. I didn't think he was especially impressive in the World Cup, but what he did well was use strength and acceleration to hold off and beat defenders high up the pitch. That is the kind of ability we are struggling with numbers-wise.

I agree with this, I think he'll end up further up the field, be that at Chelsea or elsewhere. His strength is impressive and he has good ball control with decent pace - could be a good impact player of the bench when the finesse of Willian, Hazard or Pedro isn't working - he can be much more direct than those 3 I feel.

22 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Same thoughts here.  I think it is very hard to use extreme pace in CM unless it is attached to fantastic endurance (Kante).  Plus you need AMs that scare the oppo defenders, while you need CMs that keep our defenders and manager calm.

1 hour ago, Dingus said:

Oh yeah totally, but that's my point. I hope he works hard in training to give Sarri headaches in relation to picking the team.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's worth bearing in mind that Conte was on record as saying that if he picked players for the first team according to how they worked in training then RLC would be the first name on the team sheet 

Yes Mark.  I was going to say that RLC had 32 appearances including 13 starts before he went on loan - pretty much a record for a young Chelsea player.  He clearly was doing it in training, it was in matches he kept falling short.

46 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

A CB that cannot head the ball? Baka is, at best, a CB. But even there he's a very poor choice. I think we should be thrilled AC Milan seem ready to take him off our hands. 

Baka is very good in the air, and generally is far far stronger with the ball in front of him.

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Baka is very good in the air, and generally is far far stronger with the ball in front of him.

Huh? That's true for every single footballer alive. 

Baka very good in the air? I think our yardstick differs enourmously. Drogba was very good in the air. Baka isn't very good at anything at all.  Whoever sanctioned a £40m deal for him needs sacking (and most likely that has already happened). 

Edited by The_Ghost

3 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Huh? That's true for every single footballer alive. 

Baka very good in the air? I think our yardstick differs enourmously. Drogba was very good in the air. Baka isn't very good at anything at all.  Whoever sanctioned a £40m deal for him needs sacking (and most likely that has already happened). 

Listen I'm not defending Baka as a good buy, he is rubbish if he was bought as a CM.
But that doesn't mean we should ignore what he can do, or acknowledge that he had 2 or 3 games as Kante's stand-in where he looked very good.
If you can't see he is good in the air - you have a problem.