• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

6 minutes ago, Gormangorman said:

Reports that Fekir was almost done but Marina forgot to put a lid on the pen and the ink ran out.

She's had a great summer hasn't she.  You going to join in the congratulations for her?

Overall a very good window. 

I have said for a while our weakest area was midfield and I was never convinced we would go into the season with just Jorginho being bought there. To get him and Kovacic is beyond anything I could have hoped for. 

We desperately could have done with a better striker but when Kepa is costing £72m I hate to think what a top quality striker would cost, plus there is very few about, possibly none we could have got so I can see the logic of sticking with what we have, even if it's not ideal.

I'd also have loved to have seen another top quality AM come in but to improve on what we already have would have been impossible. Martial or Zaha would have been great but neither would improve our starting line up playing out wide and both would have cost an absolute fortune.

Our midfield was always going to be key to how Sarri wants us to play. Our first choice is very , very good, up there with the best in the league without question and they should help create an awful lot more than we did previously.  Just need someone to step up and start scoring goals.

I'm not one of those that worry about our defence,  I think we have some very good players and more than enough off them, was the least of our problems this summer.

Finally and without a doubt most importantly,  we kept Willian , Kante and Hazard. 

All in all I'm very happy with what we have done this summer and can't wait for Saturday, whatever happens it's going to be brilliant to watch.

Carefree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm happy with that as a window I have to say... as long as Madrid/Barca don't snatch Willian, Hazard or Kante away in the next few weeks, but I don't think they will.

I expect to see Bakayoko, Zouma, Bulka, Piazon & Musonda to go out on loan and Batshuayi either sold or loaned out, leaving us with the following squad for the season:

GK: Kepa, Caballero, Green

RB: Azpilicueta, Zappacosta

CB: Rudiger, Christensen, Cahill, Luiz, Ampadu

LB: Alonso, Emerson

CM: Kante, Jorginho, Barkley, Kovacic, Fabregas, Drinkwater

AM/WING: Hazard, Willian, Pedro, RLC, CHO, Moses

STK: Morata, Giroud, Tammy 

That's 2 players for every position plus a 5th CB and a 7th CM in Ampadu and 2 extra wingers and an extra striker. That is finally a proper sized squad (how we could have done with this last year). Slight concern about where goals will come from and just crossing fingers one of our strikers can get going and be the number 1 striker we desperately need. We then need Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Barkley to help out as well.

COME ON CHELS!

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

28 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

She's had a great summer hasn't she. 

Very good in fact..........................her first summer transfer window without the interference 'advice' of Mr Emenalo.

Edited by East Lower

3 minutes ago, East Lower said:

Very good in fact..........................her first summer transfer window without the interference 'advice' of Mr Emenalo.

True - we had some excellent windows when he was around.  Just think of some of the talent we bought around 2012-14.

He has just nicked one of our kids.  Jonathan Panzo refused to sign up with us and has gone to Monaco.
Juni's U18 season preview:  http://thechels.net/2018/08/chelsea-academy-season-preview-2018-19-under-18s/

11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

True - we had some excellent windows when he was around.  Just think of some of the talent we bought around 2012-14.

He has just nicked one of our kids.  Jonathan Panzo refused to sign up with us and has gone to Monaco.
Juni's U18 season preview:  http://thechels.net/2018/08/chelsea-academy-season-preview-2018-19-under-18s/

Some mega bad ones £40m for Bakayoko, £30m+ for Drinkwater plus the most pointless fullback I've seen in Zappacosta is enough gross incompetence in one window to get the bullet.

Panzo and the lad who went to Liverpool at the start of the window - another two academy products who'll more than likely have professional careers - but not at the top level. There's no great loss there for us.

Thankfully, or so it would appear Marina saw through him.

So I said I'd wait till the window was over to post on transfers again. Here I am.

My assessment? 7/10 window. Miles better than last summer. 

Sarri - yes, a manager, but one who will shape the football philosophy of the club, build something and leave a legacy, who seems to be willing to give youth a chance.  Excellent long-term appointment - not just a CV manager - and he wants to be here.

Kepa - one of the best young keepers in Europe, seems to have a solid, calm temperament and be a good organiser, who fits with Sarri's style of play. A guy who can be with us for a decade. Gotta pay big for big players, and we paid it. 

Jorginho - simply the best at what he does, looks a class act. 

Kovacic - one of the most promising young midfielders in Europe, with huge potential. 

Chelsea were smart, paid the money and got deals done. Apparently working on Kepa for weeks but media never got wind of it, he was our first choice, not Alisson. 

Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek are like new signings. Both will give us quality strength in depth. Sarri rotates his midfield meaning both RLC and Barkley will both get games. Having seen both in pre-season, it only confirms my view they are totally different players. But if I'm honest so far I'm leaning more towards RLC than Barkley - RLC will thrive in this system IMO. Hudson-Odoi is a world class talent who needs developing. Give him starts in cups, Europa league and even some league games, and other significant sub appearances, and he'll improve. He's got the right attitude too IMO.

Ampadu if anything looks even more impressive. Our best defender in pre-season, he's a leader, he's mature way beyond his years in his attitude and performances, and I'd be perfectly happy if he started in the league. He's like a new CB signing for me. 

Jorginho, Kepa, Kovacic, RLC, Ampadu, HO, Barkley and even Emerson are almost like new signings. Tammy Abraham seems likely to be third choice ST and is useful - will be good to see him develop, Sarri is impressed with him from reports I've read. 

The other big thing, is Hazard is still here. Madrid wanted him but we priced them out of a move, and he's staying here. This is a phenomenal achievement given how much he seemed to want the move. Kante staying is good given PSG were sniffing around - now we need to get them both to sign new deals. 

We still have some deadwood at the club - Cahill (now our 5th choice CB for me), Drinkwater, Bakayoko for example. I hope these guys can be moved on soon. I'd hope we'd keep Michy as I think he fits perfectly with Sarri's system and style of play, but he looks like being loaned. 

I think this is a building process. Next summer I can see us signing a new LB - Alonso is simply abysmal in a back 4, a total liability and can't defend. Most chances we gave away in pre-season came down his side, that's just a simple fact. And we'll also need to sign a new RW as Willian is 30 now, and Pedro will surely be sold next summer. If Morata has a poor season - jury still out on him, has to get 25-30 goals this year to keep his place IMO - then we'll sign a new ST as well. 

All in all I think we've done excellently. 3 top class signings who will improve us, who are better than what we have and will be starters for the first team. Marina deserves credit for this, and it's a massive improvement on last summer.

I think with the squad we have, 3rd place and winning the Europa league is viable. 

It will take time to adapt to Sarri's system, tactics and style - Napoli won once in his first five league games - but once we do, it'll work like clockwork. I expect us to start slowly, start picking up pace in October and finish the season strongly. Then with further additions next summer, we can really start to push City. 

Edited by James Prescott

6 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

So I said I'd wait till the window was over to post on transfers again. Here I am.

Such impressive self-control.  I salute you.

6 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

The other big thing, is Hazard is still here. Madrid wanted him but we priced them out of a move, and he's staying here. This is a phenomenal achievement given how much he seemed to want the move. Kante staying is good given PSG were sniffing around - now we need to get them both to sign new deals. 

Yes - key was always keeping Kante and Hazard.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

She's had a great summer hasn't she.  You going to join in the congratulations for her?

Almost.

Didn't sort out GK situation until the last minute so had to spend 71 million on an unknown quantity.

Have Kovacic on loan but only as an incubator for Real Madrid until he goes back and replaces Modric and we will never see him again.

Still hasn't adequately sorted the striker situation and kept Conte for so long the new manager has only had a few days to try to start to overhaul his new squad.

So no she won't be getting gorman love quite yet, soon perhaps.

Ham   
13 minutes ago, Gormangorman said:

Almost.

Didn't sort out GK situation until the last minute so had to spend 71 million on an unknown quantity.

Have Kovacic on loan but only as an incubator for Real Madrid until he goes back and replaces Modric and we will never see him again.

Still hasn't adequately sorted the striker situation and kept Conte for so long the new manager has only had a few days to try to start to overhaul his new squad.

So no she won't be getting gorman love quite yet, soon perhaps.

No pleasing some.