• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Recommended Posts

xCELERYx   

An extremely underwhelming transfer window to say the least. If I had to rate it, I'd be looking at a 3 or 4 out of 10. 

We wasted the majority of the transfer window on the whole managerial situation to begin with. Then subsequently didn't really go out and strengthen enough of the problem areas we do have. We effectively only added two players to the squad in Jorginho and Kovacic, while Kepa is more or less a direct like for like replacement with Courtois. In isolation they are three very good additions to the side, although not nearly enough to really to move the needle of our overall squad strength. With Sarri's appointment and a return to a back four, we've now created doubts about the strength and fit of our CB options on hand - while this system change will also likely result in arguably our most consistent CB over the last two seasons in Azpilicueta being moved back out to a fullback position. We're at least one quality CB short, ideally two, now to fill the role requested of them. It's also taken the LWB position, in which were were rather strong in and arguably made it into a weaker fullback role.

Our midfield has seen the most improvement with Jorginho and Kovacic arriving, however we're still glaringly without a solid box-to-box alternative for Kante. We've also failed to add goals to our midfield, so a lot will rest on both Barkley and RLC coming good in that area. On top of this we're still lite in terms of a quality attacking midfielder/forward type of player that can help relieve some of the offensive burden from Hazard and add some additional creativity and goals. 

Upfront though is where we really missed the mark. A clear problem area last season and we've done absolutely nothing to inject more goals or someone who can genuinely spearhead the attack. Morata is definitely not the solution - short or long term. Giroud is a solid player that will provide us with something a little different, however he's not the solution to our woes either or going to be able to carry the attack. Batshyaui's future is up in the air at this point, although I'd personally like him to stay and be given the starting role initially to see how he fairs. That leaves Tammy as our only other option and while talented, he's still raw and not ready to spearhead the attack. I think he could be a reasonable squad option, but it's hard to see him getting enough minutes behind the other three established players. Even if he does, it's still a huge ask to expect such a young CF to carry a side towards reclaiming a CL spot -that's of course providing he even stays. We needed to address this area - even if it was just a short term option. 

Overall we're basically going into this season with the same set of players and gambling on the prospect that they came good (again). Along with taking the approach that replacing our manager will be the solution to our woes (again). I'd have preferred a more ruthless shake up and holding players more accountable for their form. In saying that we've had the World Cup this year, a shortened transfer window, while being a club in recent years that has largely funded it's spending from selling players first - all impacting this off-season.

The club has managed to save face late on with a couple of signings to help distract from the overall disappointment of yet another transfer window, let that not be forgotten.

Edited by xCELERYx
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only questions I have is what is going to happen to the following players: 

Kalas, Zouma, Baka, Drinkwater, RLC, Piazon, Abraham, Bats. 

All of those players are currently knocking around Cobham with only CM6 and CF3 left for the taking. Unless we start getting into the realms of CB6/CM7/CF4. In particular, the players I am surprised about being here still are Kalas and Piazon as both were fairly integral parts of the Fulham team last year and surely wpuld not have cost that much to aquire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

An extremely underwhelming transfer window to say the least. If I had to rate it, I'd be looking at a 3 or 4 out of 10. 

We wasted the majority of the transfer window on the whole managerial situation to begin with. Then subsequently didn't really go out and strengthen enough of the problem areas we do have. We effectively only added two players to the squad in Jorginho and Kovacic, while Kepa is more or less a direct like for like replacement with Courtois. In isolation they are three very good additions to the side, although not nearly enough to really to move the needle of our overall squad strength. With Sarri's appointment and a return to a back four, we've now created doubts about the strength and fit of our CB options on hand - while this system change will also likely result in arguably our most consistent CB over the last two seasons in Azpilicueta being moved back out to a fullback position. We're at least one quality CB short, ideally two, now to fill the role requested of them. It's also taken the LWB position, in which were were rather strong in and arguably made it into a weaker fullback role.

Our midfield has seen the most improvement with Jorginho and Kovacic arriving, however we're still glaringly without a solid box-to-box alternative for Kante. We've also failed to add goals to our midfield, so a lot will rest on both Barkley and RLC coming good in that area. On top of this we're still lite in terms of a quality attacking midfielder/forward type of player that can help relieve some of the offensive burden from Hazard and add some additional creativity and goals. 

Upfront though is where we really missed the mark. A clear problem area last season and we've done absolutely nothing to inject more goals or someone who can genuinely spearhead the attack. Morata is definitely not the solution - short or long term. Giroud is a solid player that will provide us with something a little different, however he's not the solution to our woes either or going to be able to carry the attack. Batshyaui's future is up in the air at this point, although I'd personally like him to stay and be given the starting role initially to see how he fairs. That leaves Tammy as our only other option and while talented, he's still raw and not ready to spearhead the attack. I think he could be a reasonable squad option, but it's hard to see him getting enough minutes behind the other three established players. Even if he does, it's still a huge ask to expect such a young CF to carry a side towards reclaiming a CL spot -that's of course providing he even stays. We needed to address this area - even if it was just a short term option. 

Overall we're basically going into this season with the same set of players and gambling on the prospect that they came good (again). Along with taking the approach that replacing our manager will be the solution to our woes (again). I'd have preferred a more ruthless shake up and holding players more accountable for their form. In saying that we've had the World Cup this year, a shortened transfer window, while being a club in recent years that has largely funded it's spending from selling players first - all impacting this off-season.

The club has managed to save face late on with a couple of signings to help distract from the overall disappointment of yet another transfer window, let that not be forgotten.

I agree with this. 

Maybe we can rectify things a bit in the coming 2 windows I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

An extremely underwhelming transfer window to say the least. If I had to rate it, I'd be looking at a 3 or 4 out of 10. 

We wasted the majority of the transfer window on the whole managerial situation to begin with. Then subsequently didn't really go out and strengthen enough of the problem areas we do have. We effectively only added two players to the squad in Jorginho and Kovacic, while Kepa is more or less a direct like for like replacement with Courtois. In isolation they are three very good additions to the side, although not nearly enough to really to move the needle of our overall squad strength. With Sarri's appointment and a return to a back four, we've now created doubts about the strength and fit of our CB options on hand - while this system change will also likely result in arguably our most consistent CB over the last two seasons in Azpilicueta being moved back out to a fullback position. We're at least one quality CB short, ideally two, now to fill the role requested of them. It's also taken the LWB position, in which were were rather strong in and arguably made it into a weaker fullback role.

Our midfield has seen the most improvement with Jorginho and Kovacic arriving, however we're still glaringly without a solid box-to-box alternative for Kante. We've also failed to add goals to our midfield, so a lot will rest on both Barkley and RLC coming good in that area. On top of this we're still lite in terms of a quality attacking midfielder/forward type of player that can help relieve some of the offensive burden from Hazard and add some additional creativity and goals. 

Upfront though is where we really missed the mark. A clear problem area last season and we've done absolutely nothing to inject more goals or someone who can genuinely spearhead the attack. Morata is definitely not the solution - short or long term. Giroud is a solid player that will provide us with something a little different, however he's not the solution to our woes either or going to be able to carry the attack. Batshyaui's future is up in the air at this point, although I'd personally like him to stay and be given the starting role initially to see how he fairs. That leaves Tammy as our only other option and while talented, he's still raw and not ready to spearhead the attack. I think he could be a reasonable squad option, but it's hard to see him getting enough minutes behind the other three established players. Even if he does, it's still a huge ask to expect such a young CF to carry a side towards reclaiming a CL spot -that's of course providing he even stays. We needed to address this area - even if it was just a short term option. 

Overall we're basically going into this season with the same set of players and gambling on the prospect that they came good (again). Along with taking the approach that replacing our manager will be the solution to our woes (again). I'd have preferred a more ruthless shake up and holding players more accountable for their form. In saying that we've had the World Cup this year, a shortened transfer window, while being a club in recent years that has largely funded it's spending from selling players first - all impacting this off-season.

The club has managed to save face late on with a couple of signings to help distract from the overall disappointment of yet another transfer window, let that not be forgotten.

I am not the most happy about our window and feel we are still lacking in a the goal scoring department but I feel a little too pessimistic in relation to the players we have.

For me defence is not that much of an issue as Rudiger plus Chrsitensen/Luiz is decent enough, while I think Ampadu could really grow this year with the amount of Ropey football going. At LB I think Alonso will be fine as I have been hearing since he got here that he is not good enough and needs replacing yet when I watch him he is usually one of the top three players on the pitch for us. As for Dave he always gives you a 7 out of 10 performance wherever he is on the pitch and I think his lack or height had been picked up on at RCB as we were seeing a lot of diagonal balls coming in from inside left. 

At CM, I agree we still do not have a goalscoring No.8. That however is a worldwide problem as the the only one off the top of my head that would fit the profile was SMS but that was likely to be a £110m+ fee plus £200k+ wages on a bloke that has only really had one good season at a middling Lazio. Golovin for me had potential but he turned us down for Monaco. Furthermore, Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic is right up there in terms of on the ball quality in world football, only concern is physicallity but both Kante and Kovacic know how to get the ball back and are not push overs even if a little short. 

CF is, however, a serious issue. Morata is too powerpuff, Giroud is your archtypical big man off the bench and Tammy needs to develop his all around game more. So, none of those inspire much confidence in anyone. That said, unless you are thinking of playing Bats as a pure tap in merchant that the rest of the team plays around and he is told just to play within the width of the posts, then I really hope you do not get your wish of him as CF1 as his CF game apart from finsihing is worse than Tammy's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

. In particular, the players I am surprised about being here still are Kalas and Piazon as both were fairly integral parts of the Fulham team last year and surely wpuld not have cost that much to aquire. 

I know quite a few Fulham season ticket holders (half my family are Fulham, fortunately I chose the right half) and they all think that both players are poor particularly Piazon.  Kalas played a bit more (29 starts) but Piazon only started 16 games, neither integral and I think we will be lucky to get a set of kit and a Mars bar for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

 

For me defence is not that much of an issue as Rudiger plus Christensen/Luiz is decent enough, while I think Ampadu could really grow this year with the amount of Ropey football going. At LB I think Alonso will be fine as I have been hearing since he got here that he is not good enough and needs replacing yet when I watch him he is usually one of the top three players on the pitch for us. As for Dave he always gives you a 7 out of 10 performance wherever he is on the pitch and I think his lack or height had been picked up on at RCB as we were seeing a lot of diagonal balls coming in from inside left. 

Well said.  Christensen apart for a period towards the end of last season where his form dropped (probably due to being overplayed) was quality, he had a decent World Cup too.  He will do well again next year.  Luiz I love but a lot depend on what mood he is in, I hope we see the Luiz from 2016/17. I can see Rudiger and Christensen being the main pairing but I have not written off Cahill either, he is not as bad as some make out and I suspect will do a decent job if he plays.

Alonso gets a bad press, the guy oozes technique and despite many people on here saying he is not good enough whenever I see him he is absolutely one of the best players.  He got voted in to the premier league team of the year last year, can’t be that bad!  The two goals against The Spuds last year should have given him legend status rather than the constant calls to upgrade!  We could have Rahman back or a Luke Shaw.  I know who I would rather.

Defensively I think we will be fine, I too (like most it seems) have worries about our forward line and our ability to score enough goals.

2 days until kick off!  Getting excited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Johnny Bee said:

Well said.  Christensen apart for a period towards the end of last season where his form dropped (probably due to being overplayed) was quality, he had a decent World Cup too.  He will do well again next year.  Luiz I love but a lot depend on what mood he is in, I hope we see the Luiz from 2016/17. I can see Rudiger and Christensen being the main pairing but I have not written off Cahill either, he is not as bad as some make out and I suspect will do a decent job if he plays.

Alonso gets a bad press, the guy oozes technique and despite many people on here saying he is not good enough whenever I see him he is absolutely one of the best players.  He got voted in to the premier league team of the year last year, can’t be that bad!  The two goals against The Spuds last year should have given him legend status rather than the constant calls to upgrade!  We could have Rahman back or a Luke Shaw.  I know who I would rather.

Defensively I think we will be fine, I too (like most it seems) have worries about our forward line and our ability to score enough goals.

2 days until kick off!  Getting excited!

The issues with Alonso must surely be about how slow he is in comparison to other full backs as he's a brilliant footballer , however , if he was as quick as Kyle Walker we'd never have been able to afford him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The issues with Alonso must surely be about how slow he is in comparison to other full backs as he's a brilliant footballer , however , if he was as quick as Kyle Walker we'd never have been able to afford him. 

Can’t argue that he isn’t slow.  Quick brain, slow feet.  Hopefully one will compensate for the other!

Ironically Kyle Walker is probably the other way round!  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the choice between Walker or Alonso I know which one id pick. Pace only gets you so far.

Alonso has been brilliant for us, I really can't get my head round why so many people want to see him replaced by someone that's inferior but quicker. 

All this talk about him not being able to play in a back 4 would hold more weight if we played him as a proper wing back last season rather than a left back in a 5. We shall soon see but I'd confidently claim he will be one of the best left backs in the league this year. Again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Overall we're basically going into this season with the same set of players and gambling on the prospect that they came good (again). 

Positive or negative take on it aside, I think this is wrong; I think we're looking at the average match day squad looking quite different than this time last season. Kepa, Jorginho and Kovacic seem likely to be in most XIs. My guess is we'll be seeing a lot of RLC and Barkley in the front three positions, and Emerson also playing a fair bit; not summer signings of course but players who will be meaningfully available to a manager for the first time. I would have liked an AM or two signed, but we on paper have a reasonable level of quality (if clearly not the exceptional level we've been spoiled by) in better numbers than before. 

Personally not rating this window until it ends. That we have better numbers now than is usually the case means I can't fully relax until August ends with Hazard, Kante and Willian here. Any one of them go now and the window has been a disaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now