• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

2 hours ago, JaneB said:

Another player who I thought was going to be the next best thing, and now he's off to Everton, never a good sign.

There have been so many of them over the years who promised to be something really special, just randomly, McEachran, Mancienne, Kakuta, Stoch and years ago Michael Duberry was touted as a future Chelsea captain, and then, well it never happens and I don't know why.

And why can we never produce our own goalkeepers?

I think it always depends on the way you look at things. For me personally, I think our academy does great things in that we produce a number of players that go on and have professional careers (by this I meam they play football and do nothing else so PL to League 2/Conference in England and the top three divsions in most others.) That for me is an amazing achievement as being a professional footballer is an incrediably difficult thing to do. 

However, the problem I find with football fans is that unless you produce a batch like Utd's "Class of 92" or Barca's early/mid 00's then everyone thinks you have failed. That however, is an incredibly rare thing to happen and has a lot to do with luck and circumstance I.e. a number of players in that cohort are able to adapt to the rigors of the top flight adult football very quickly and the space for them opens up in the first team owing to mitigating circumstances (this becomes easier once one or two break through). 

Therefore, whilst you mention Dunerry, Stoch, McEarchan as players that did not succeed, I would disagree as whilst they did/do not have glittering/elite level careers they did have professional football careers which is a lot more than a lot of boys who go through academies can say. 

As for GK's I would agree that that has not been our strongest area of development, however Blackman looks like a competent Champo keeper which again I would count as a success, even if it is not a £72m success. 

8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Trouble is, whenever he starts a game, he looks woeful. Great off the bench, and a good finisher, but he can't hold the ball.

Correct. 

However he can finish and has not been given a run out to show what he can do. 

Tammy has looked a bit raw in pre-season and you will not get 20 goals between Morata and Giroud. 

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

Not directly related to our transfer acticity, but the Modric to Inter ruomurs is a head-scratcher for me. 

Why would Modric want to leave Real? He wins the biggest trophies, he plays for the biggest club in the world and was just named player of the tournament at the world cup. I don't think the salary is an issue, neither living in Madrid (Milano isn't generally considered a pretty city even though I like it). 

Why does he want to join Inter? 

Kezza   
2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Not directly related to our transfer acticity, but the Modric to Inter ruomurs is a head-scratcher for me. 

Why would Modric want to leave Real? He wins the biggest trophies, he plays for the biggest club in the world and was just named player of the tournament at the world cup. I don't think the salary is an issue, neither living in Madrid (Milano isn't generally considered a pretty city even though I like it). 

Why does he want to join Inter? 

Why does Ronaldo to want to leave? New challenge perhaps? He will have played in all 3 major leagues if he goes.

12 hours ago, JaneB said:

Another player who I thought was going to be the next best thing, and now he's off to Everton, never a good sign.

There have been so many of them over the years who promised to be something really special, just randomly, McEachran, Mancienne, Kakuta, Stoch and years ago Michael Duberry was touted as a future Chelsea captain, and then, well it never happens and I don't know why.

And why can we never produce our own goalkeepers?

Very pertinent questions Jane and for many years I thought the answer was that everyone (that mattered) knew better than me. Of course I now realise thats not true and I am indeed the font of all knowledge and wisdom :) 

You are probably way too young to remember a young brilliant 17 year old keeper called Steve Francis. He was touted by many  (inside and outside the club) as not only Chelsea's future but the future for England.  He's probably a painter/decorator  now.

14 hours ago, Ham said:

To the tune of Copacabana;

Got rid of Teebo, played like Mick Jagger

Replaced with Arrizabalaga (pronounced Areetha Balagga)

Just made that up ©™

Ok I'll finish it.

60/40 split yea?

9 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Correct. 

However he can finish and has not been given a run out to show what he can do. 

Problem is whilst he has not been given a massive chance here, everytime he has played his all round game has been so bad he has made Morata look like Crespo. Additionally, the way we have seen him play has also been in evidence at Dortmund, Marsailles and Belgium. It was why I never wanted him in the first place.

The only way I can see him starting for us is if we play him like Pipo Inzaghe and tell him to just stay within the width of the posts and just try to finish what comes his way I.e. do not get involved in much/any of the build up play. The only problem with this, is that he does not have Inzaghe's reading of the game which was absolutely vital to the way that type of striker needs to play (as otherwise they can be marked out easily) and playing such a striker in the modern game is not done owing to the amount of work it requires the rest of the team to do.