• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
2 minutes ago, CFCnet Admin said:

The Express, backed with quotes from Courtois, are fuelling the fear of Blues fans losing Eden Hazard in the next couple of weeks. Latest on CFCnet: https://www.CFCnet.co.uk/chelsea-braced-real-madrid-bid-for-eden-hazard/

Absolute nonsense. No way Hazard is being sold. 

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Very early in his career, he played Spurs at Wembley in the opening game and was very good in terms of energy.

Yes Baka's first 3 or 4 games were very positive and we shouldn't re-write that piece of history.  He never played that DM role again.  Which in retrospect, given that we have now bought another CM to sit behind Kante, is a bit odd.
Everything we have ever seen of him suggests he should be moved deeper and deeper - CM to DM to probablys CB.  Conte moved him from CM to AM to No 10.

39 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes Baka's first 3 or 4 games were very positive and we shouldn't re-write that piece of history.  He never played that DM role again.  Which in retrospect, given that we have now bought another CM to sit behind Kante, is a bit odd.

Not at all.

We have bought a playmaking CM that is also great at breaking-up play. Baka doesn't really have either of those skill - when it comes to passing he's quite disastrous. How can you be a professional footballer with such lousy technical ability? A 5m pass is a challenge for him - he makes Ramires look like Iniesta. 

He's a big unit who takes up a lot of space on the pitch. But he doesn't do much to a very good level. What is odd is that we signed him in the first place. 

Kezza   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Absolute nonsense. No way Hazard is being sold. 

No way TC is getting his mate. Why do I have this feeling that Hazard is disgusted and appalled at the way TC behaved and how he exited the club.

37 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Not at all.

We have bought a playmaking CM that is also great at breaking-up play. Baka doesn't really have either of those skill - when it comes to passing he's quite disastrous. How can you be a professional footballer with such lousy technical ability? A 5m pass is a challenge for him - he makes Ramires look like Iniesta. 

He's a big unit who takes up a lot of space on the pitch. But he doesn't do much to a very good level. What is odd is that we signed him in the first place. 

Not odd at all. Emenalo was obviously pissed off with Marina (and possibly Conte, too), and knowing he was off to Monaco a few months later organised it so that we bought the least effective of their players for a sum of money they could never have hoped to achieve even in the weird market that was last summer. 😉 😉 😉

12 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Not odd at all. Emenalo was obviously pissed off with Marina (and possibly Conte, too), and knowing he was off to Monaco a few months later organised it so that we bought the least effective of their players for a sum of money they could never have hoped to achieve even in the weird market that was last summer. 😉 😉 😉

I know you're joking, but considering how bad Bakayoko is your explanation is the only one that even makes a little bit of sense!

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Not at all.

Odd that we signed him at all, I agree.
Not odd that we signed Jorginho - I agree.
That Conte played Baka are the front of a midfield 3 and not at the back  remains a mystery.

33 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I know you're joking, but considering how bad Bakayoko is your explanation is the only one that even makes a little bit of sense!

‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.’

Sherlock Holmes -The Bascombe Valley Mystery

BlueWill   
On 10/08/2018 at 3:05 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Conte's vanity was at least cured sacking him.  The striker situation was actually resolved back in January - a very competent No 2 in WC winner, Giroud, giving us a bit more time to sort things out.  I don't think a single decent striker changed hands this window other than a 33 year old.

Nor were WC and Eduardo last season.  I can't think of many GK2s in the top 6 who are of EPL standard.  Cech/Ospina I guess.

More helped than cured. I'm was always pleased that we'd landed a striker of Giroud's calibre and happy as No.2. If he was an expensive time-buying option, how did we usefully use that time? Did we resolve or even try to resolve the problem over the ensuing 7 months? Moratta has not inspired confidence for some time. Sure, we see flashes of his ability but we need a bit more than that and Saturday, his distribution was beyond woeful. It seemed odd when AC had him & OG on the pitch together with their clear duplication of skills - how often did AC play him with Mitchy, at least that combo would offer some variety and therefore additional options. Doubtful that dropping out of UCL and looking like a club in turmoil could enhance our recruitment (& retention) prospects.

An already sub standard keeper is another year worse, accelerated by his Spuds & Russia 2018 performances (+ little game time) severely reducing his confidence and that is visible. Playing in front of a nervous & indecisive keeper affects everyone. RG has been nothing like an appropriate standard for years. The Courtois situation I accept complicated things, but that had been in view a long time and given for how long we seemed unlikely to achieve a UCL place, increasingly urgent.

Quite pleased with Kepa who aside from looking a confident and able keeper also looked incredibly competent with the ball at his feet (Zouma is envious).  Keeper injuries are always a concern but RG was never a serious option.

9 minutes ago, BlueWill said:

If he was an expensive time-buying option, how did we usefully use that time? Did we resolve or even try to resolve the problem over the ensuing 7 months?

I'm still sticking to the idea that we are work in progress, planning to compete at the top level in 2020 or 21.  For that reason I am quite happy to put up with some mediocrity for this season and maybe a little for next.
For me, and I suspect the board, there is no hurry.  

I hope people noticed our strategy changed enormously between Summer/Winter last season, and Summer this season.

The money went on long term players - Jorginho and Kepa.  There were no back up fullbacks, or back up strikers (while the back up GK3 is clearly treading water till a better alternative arrives or Blackman achieves GK2 status).  No urgent filling of gaps.

We are back to 2012 and long term planning.  It just gets better from here.