Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, Never happy said:

Solanke to Bournemouth..

Wilson to Chelsea?

Had forgotten about him, he looked so good when he first got to LFC

Blue Rod   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

We've won 2 titles under Marina.  Monaco have collapsed since Emenalo went.  Sounds good to me.

Seriously,  this sounds a very dumb post to me. Emenalo is associated with our best run of trophies. I don't think 10 Marina's  would achieve what we did under Emanalo.

Whatever happens at Monaco cannot re-write our history. Someone who is a dye in the wood fanboy of Jose Mourinho should know better. Just because you screw it up at your next club should not take away what you achieved at the last one.

Many of our worst signings have come with Marina's influence, which is why Emenalo left in the first place. And she is not getting any better at the job. 

Back to CHO, the player is  not asking to play every PL match. If Sarri cannot give him a decent number of games, then it says a lot about the confidence of the manager. 

12 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Many of our worst signings have come with Marina's influence, which is why Emenalo left in the first place. And she is not getting any better at the job. 

I think you are doing another JM hatchet job with Marina.  Do you ever judge anyone on what they do rather than who they are?

Leo91   

I hope it's true. I like Lozano, he's erratic and can be wasteful. But he's rapid and runs at defences causing problems which is what we need.

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think you are doing another JM hatchet job with Marina.  Do you ever judge anyone on what they do rather than who they are?

Jose Mourinho achieved a lot at Chelsea before he ran out of ideas, as many managers do.  I don't even know how you managed bring Marina into the debate. I am not being  sexist, but Marina thought the job was easy. Fact is,   we haven't met one great signing since she started to influence matters, which is part of why we are in this situation .  

DannyLB   
4 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Jose Mourinho achieved a lot at Chelsea before he ran out of ideas, as many managers do.  I don't even know how you managed bring Marina into the debate. I am not being  sexist, but Marina thought the job was easy. Fact is,   we haven't met one great signing since she started to influence matters, which is part of why we are in this situation .  

There's definitely been more bad signings than good but I'm surprised to see you say that we haven't met one great signing. Rudiger and Kepa have been very solid purchases. 

Blue Rod   
26 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

There's definitely been more bad signings than good but I'm surprised to see you say that we haven't met one great signing. Rudiger and Kepa have been very solid purchases. 

Ok, Rudiger is a good signing. I correct that. But so far, I can only rate Kepa as decent, no more. 

14 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

Rudiger was long trailed from Emenalo's time, he had just made his loan at Roma permanent and had a bad injury which meant he didn't make the move a year earlier. Kepa we found a keeper and paid his full buyout which was about £50m less six months earlier, not exactly great forward planning or negotiating. Sorry for nitpicking g on both just catching up on the thread and chipping in really.

I doubt very much Marina is recommending or choosing who we sign given that her history in professional sports and football probably began when she started at Chelsea, doubt she has a clue about the details of scouting a player or deciphering scouting reports with regard to specific tactics and formations. Jorginho kinda looked like a good signing at the time, coveted player swiped from city while we didn't have CL. Think she just handles transfer negotiations

Emenalo did have more of that knowledge and I thought was very good at future planning and recommending players. Apart from the obvious ones that have been and gone or are still here there are a few who were lesser known that we were in for but didn't get who have turned out to be good players. Richarlison, Cengiz Under, Quina at Watford seems to be doing well. I was thinking about the other day and had a longer list which I have now forgotten, if I can remember them I will post some later if there's any interest.

I've read a few times that we have or had one of the largest scouting networks with all the data stored in a large database where different scouts watched the same player and logged stats and skills. I suspect we rely a bit on that which is why we don't have a proper DOF and these things are done more by 'committee'. I want to use the term moneyball theory to describe it even though I know it's very different, but in essence a number of transfers scouted via stats.

1 hour ago, Leo91 said:

I hope it's true. I like Lozano, he's erratic and can be wasteful.

Don't we have a couple of those already? I would like us to be linked with the odd striker who isn't 'erratic and wasteful', just for a change.