• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Blue Rod   
36 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Rudiger was long trailed from Emenalo's time, he had just made his loan at Roma permanent and had a bad injury which meant he didn't make the move a year earlier. Kepa we found a keeper and paid his full buyout which was about £50m less six months earlier, not exactly great forward planning or negotiating. Sorry for nitpicking g on both just catching up on the thread and chipping in really.

I doubt very much Marina is recommending or choosing who we sign given that her history in professional sports and football probably began when she started at Chelsea, doubt she has a clue about the details of scouting a player or deciphering scouting reports with regard to specific tactics and formations. Jorginho kinda looked like a good signing at the time, coveted player swiped from city while we didn't have CL. Think she just handles transfer negotiations

Emenalo did have more of that knowledge and I thought was very good at future planning and recommending players. Apart from the obvious ones that have been and gone or are still here there are a few who were lesser known that we were in for but didn't get who have turned out to be good players. Richarlison, Cengiz Under, Quina at Watford seems to be doing well. I was thinking about the other day and had a longer list which I have now forgotten, if I can remember them I will post some later if there's any interest.

I've read a few times that we have or had one of the largest scouting networks with all the data stored in a large database where different scouts watched the same player and logged stats and skills. I suspect we rely a bit on that which is why we don't have a proper DOF and these things are done more by 'committee'. I want to use the term moneyball theory to describe it even though I know it's very different, but in essence a number of transfers scouted via stats.

It certainly does look like management by statistics and committee. But there is no substitute for a proper DOF, someone who actually played football. Marina may be saving a couple of millions by not appointing one, but it's false economy. I always thought that Emenalo's work was underrated. This may explain why we are dragging our feet with a new appointment. 

Pulisic better turns out to be a very good singing. After Morata, Bakayoko, Batshuayi and Jorginho, I don't thimk we can afford anything less than exceptional quality. 

ripz   

Solanke 19m is insane, makes the nonsense stories of us selling Abraham for 18m even more funny.  Both Hudson and Abraham are 30m+ if Solanke is worth 19m.

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11598656/chelsea-want-callum-hudson-odoi-to-stay-says-gianfranco-zola

Contract offer is there.....Of course the details of it are not ever going to be public, so somewhat pointless asking me what they are. 

If he doesn't sign a new deal, for whatever reason, then we need to get the best fee we can. 

The comparison with Christensen is backwards - a player with almost 100 top flight senior league appearances, approx 20 CL games, and 23 internationals has far more justification to question his lack of game time, than an 18 year old who so far has done nothing. 

Well if you don't know the details of the contract offer you shouldn't have bothered bringing it up as it could be a terrible offer and an insult for all we know. 

The comparison with Christenson is very interesting imo. How would you describe Christensons form of late? And what right has he to moan if he is getting all the game time that you have pointed out? Had he not made proper use of it perhaps? 

CHO might be getting unsettled ( I don't know that because unlike Christenson he has said nothing) because he is not getting opportunities in a struggling team. I would like to see more of him , wouldn't you? Are you not even curious if he can play a meaningful role as an AM? Aren't you curious as to why Bayern and Juve are sniffing around? Weren't you curious , like I was, about what RLC could do with a run in the team (both  similar academy products). And by the way his age is irrelevant. We have have had a captain of his age. He is clearly playing way above his natural years as does Ampedu.

2 hours ago, Leo91 said:

I hope it's true. I like Lozano, he's erratic and can be wasteful. But he's rapid and runs at defences causing problems which is what we need.

Have just read his agent saying he won't be moving this window. Oh and his agent is Mino Raiola so I would put the chances of us signing him at slim to zero.

36 minutes ago, ripz said:

Solanke 19m is insane, makes the nonsense stories of us selling Abraham for 18m even more funny.  Both Hudson and Abraham are 30m+ if Solanke is worth 19m.

Yup.  Two big clubs have had him on their books and let him go now.

Leo91   
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Don't we have a couple of those already? I would like us to be linked with the odd striker who isn't 'erratic and wasteful', just for a change.

No I don't think we do other than Pedro from our attacking options.

2 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Have just read his agent saying he won't be moving this window. Oh and his agent is Mino Raiola so I would put the chances of us signing him at slim to zero.

Yeah it's not gonna happen lol. 

On 02/01/2019 at 11:13 AM, Newstyle said:

Five things:

1. It's clear to me that Pulisic is not a direct replacement for Hudson Odoi, but a replacement for at least one of Hazard, Pedro or Willian given their current age and/or contract situations. More likely the latter two given Pulisic's preference to play on the right wing. 

2. Given Hudson Odoi looks more comfortable and effective cutting in from the left wing they are less likely to be in direct competition with each other for the right wing slot. 

3. The fee may be large but given the commercial benefits in America and the fact we are getting the transfer business done early I think the board have done well to get this over the line for a decent fee, in todays market. 

4. Rather than alienate Hudson Odoi or any of our current wingers, it should have the opposite effect, and make sure the likes of Willian, who is playing pretty much every game for us at the moment, don't get complacent and up their game as they know they'll have a fight for their place next season. 

5. Getting the deal done early shows ambition and may encourage Hazard to extend his contract. 

Good points, especially #5! 

On 02/01/2019 at 2:44 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Loads wrong for everyone.  If we want to loan someone, just loan him.

Worst is for Tammy, who if he proves himself will have no choice about where he goes to, and therefore limited negotiating rights as to his contract.  

By far our best prospect, much better already than RLC, more potential than CHO.  16 in 20, in a position most players can't play properly till they reach 25.  The only player we have produced who already is a contributor, not just potential.

21 3 months ago, 16 in 20 for Villa.  FFS what kind of 21 year old has 44 goals in PL and Championship?  And playing in teams that would be done in relegation trouble without his goals.

£80m would be nearer the right price.  

Which leads me to believe the story is quite wrong.  Perhaps £18m loan fee or loan fee + wages for 18 months.

Agreed. We’d be mad to sell Tammy for anything other than a ludicrous amount of money. With that I don’t mean ludicrous as £18m, I mean ludicrous as in £40m+. 

4 hours ago, ripz said:

Yep. 

6 hours ago, Leo91 said:

No I don't think we do other than Pedro from our attacking options.

You don't think that Morata, in particular, is  erratic and wasteful? Seriously? 

Kezza   

I don't know what to think if we can sign Higuain but sell Fabregas. Not sure what our policy on players above 30 really mean in this case.

Edited by Kezza

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

You don't think that Morata, in particular, is  erratic and wasteful? Seriously? 

Morata is very consistent, tbf to him!