• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Looks like Cesc is definitely off then, I've seen us linked to a couple of Italian youngsters as possible replacements. Can't really replace what he gave us but its understandable given the reported contract he is getting, plus getting a fee and his large wages off the book.

Really hope we don't lose Cahill as well this window as that will be two leaders gone in a time when we look a bit mentally weak. If Cahill is going then we should have brought in Godin on a free, looks like he is going to Inter.

Lots of reports that Tammy will join Wolves on loan for the rest of the season.

Not heard of anyone being in for Moses or Drinkwater, even the unsubstantiated rumours have died down.

3 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Looks like Cesc is definitely off then, I've seen us linked to a couple of Italian youngsters as possible replacements. Can't really replace what he gave us but its understandable given the reported contract he is getting, plus getting a fee and his large wages off the book.

Really hope we don't lose Cahill as well this window as that will be two leaders gone in a time when we look a bit mentally weak. If Cahill is going then we should have brought in Godin on a free, looks like he is going to Inter.

Lots of reports that Tammy will join Wolves on loan for the rest of the season.

Not heard of anyone being in for Moses or Drinkwater, even the unsubstantiated rumours have died down.

I think the problem with Cesc is that he wants a long term contract and that just isn't going to happen, whilst he is also one of our highest earners on a reported 175k a week. Thus, whilst I am gutted to lose him I do understand why it is happening. 

Godin on an 18 month contract would have been amazing but again, due to his age, we are not going to sign him as Inter will give him 3/4 years. As for Tammy, Wolves is a good move for him and I am happy for him to play there for the next six to eighteen months. 

As for Moses and Drinkwater, both of those players are obviously for sale, so most teams will hold out on them to drive down the price.

3 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

Godin on an 18 month contract would have been amazing but again, due to his age, we are not going to sign him as Inter will give him 3/4 years.

I heard it was a two contract, which being kn January must mean 18 months. Not seen enough of him recently to see if he is still any good tbh but seems a fairly sensible transfer.

5 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

As for Tammy, Wolves is a good move for him and I am happy for him to play there for the next six to eighteen months. 

If he plays every game then happy days, if not then maybe he would have been better off at Villa. Jimenez has been decent for Wolves so he isn't nailed on.

7 minutes ago, Conte Kante said:

As for Moses and Drinkwater, both of those players are obviously for sale, so most teams will hold out on them to drive down the price.

I really hope it's that and not that we can't get rid due to wages.

Leo91   

I didn't want to believe it but we have to bring in a midfielder now. 

7 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

I didn't want to believe it but we have to bring in a midfielder now. 

Thing is we have brought 4 midfielders into CM this season so do we sign a stopgap who is bottom of the pile and barely plays anyway, or do we splash the cash and effectively consign one of Kova, Barkley or RLC to being bottom of the pile and having no future here (realistically Jorginho and Kante aren't getting dropped)

Leo91   

I don't see it as being dropped. You can't tell me Jorginho and Kante are going to play two games a week for the whole season (Europe and PL). Rotation is important. We should be going all out for a top midfielder who can challenge Jorginho in his role. Lack of competition breeds complacency.

19 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

I don't see it as being dropped. You can't tell me Jorginho and Kante are going to play two games a week for the whole season (Europe and PL). Rotation is important. We should be going all out for a top midfielder who can challenge Jorginho in his role. Lack of competition breeds complacency.

I think Jorginho and Kante are likely to play every meaningful PL and European game under Sarri, meaning any alternative would get the cup games and a few group games in Europe. If we did bring in a top alternative to Jorginho that would be a megabucks signing resulting in an expensive signing or Jorginho on the bench for every game, with neither being happy with that. Whilst I agree competition is important it would be silly when there are other positions needing that investment, and I'm sure the club would agree having just spent 50m on Jorginho. I would spend the money on a top No 8 as we don't have any one standout player that really fits, and then shuffle our existing options when we need to rest Jorginho for the cup games. Or you get an older, or patient younger, player not as good with some of the qualities but happier with a reduced role, which is hard to find. Even a No 9 is probably more needed at the moment than a top quality rotation DM option.

GURJ SS   

Who can we sign that will give us what Cesc would have given us for the next 3 years?

We're letting go of one of the best creative players in the world, some young gun won't replace that; if we don't sign a world class player in the same bracket as Cesc then we've taken a step backwards. Cesc is the reason we win with a weakened team in cup games, so really he still helps the regular players even when he's not on the pitch for the big games; they are fresh because he has picked up the bat when they've needed a rest.

If we don't buy a top world class player we might as well just give Mikel a contract; he's better than the other option.

Leo91   

If I was dreaming

Jorginho/Mount

Kante/Barella

Kova/Isco