• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Quite right.

I think we should give him a proper go next season and when I say a proper go I mean play him week in, week out from the very beginning of the season.

There's a serious shortage of top quality strikers, the very best Lewandoski, Suarez, Aguero etc are all at top clubs and over 30, the next best like Icardi, Immobile, Kane, Werner etc are all going to probably end up replacing those or Costa fortune.

There's very few players out there we could realistically sign. I'd like to see us get Higuain for the rest of the season, if that is even possible, and then go all in on Tammy next year. I just don't see any alternative, unless we spend an absolute fortune, which I can't see happening.

I think I would prefer to get him back right now, ship Motata off to Seville and see where that takes us for the rest of the season. I'm past caring about the consequences. Surely Abraham and Giroud is not any worse than Morata and Giroud? It would give TA a chance to really settle into the role across the next few months and might just mean we dont have to pay £100m for someone either old or average in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

The counter question is of course if we didn't own Tammy would people be suggesting we sign him as our first choice striker and that he should start every game for a season to see how he gets on. Let's be honest even if he was available on a free people would be suggesting we sign him as second choice, or to sign him and loan him out to a Prem team for a season. If he was our only striker signing and we shipped out Morata out on loan people would be up in arms that we had signed some kid form the Championship and were relying on him.

I get that its a bit different because we DO own him, and that maybe he can't be any worse than Morata, and that signing a world class striker would block his progression here. However, some perspective is needed. It would be a massive, massive gamble which would potentially see us out of Europe again.

This contradicts everything I said in my last post but is mostly true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
7 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

The counter question is of course if we didn't own Tammy would people be suggesting we sign him as our first choice striker and that he should start every game for a season to see how he gets on.

But we do, and the gamble of picking him is zero (financially) as opposed to spunking a fortune on someone like Wilson, or an ageing Higuain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can Tammy do a job for next 6 months for us?  Yes.
Is that in his best long term interests - or even ours?  No.

2 hours ago, bert19 said:

I'm also confused as to why it's now a club policyto only have two strikers at any one time?  Surely that's just limiting ourselves for no real reason?

I think the issue was not 3 strikers but 29 players including Tammy.  I imagine the idea was to give players and Sarri till end August and decide which would go off on loan (or sold).  Moses, on track record (but not IMO on ability) was probably most likely to stay.  Drinkwater, Tammy, both reserve FBs, RLC, Cahill and maybe CHO & Ampadu (if we got an AM in) were perhaps all in that "could stay/could go" group.
 Drinkwater and Moses found loan places, Tammy might have stayed.

2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Batshuayi is probably the most likely to return it appears. With Valencia reportedly interested in sending Michy back to us. With Tammy turning down a move to Wolves, he'll probably stick it out with Villa.  

Valencia are keen to move on because he is doing so badly there.  Which makes it very unlikely Sarri will want him as cover for a WC winning CF and Hazard.  A loan elsewhere perhaps.

5 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

The counter question is of course if we didn't own Tammy would people be suggesting we sign him as our first choice striker and that he should start every game for a season to see how he gets on.

I think it could be a bit tedious on here if we do bring him back as CF3 for 6 months.  There will be long rants about how he has to start and that Sarri is ruining the career of a player who will want to leave.

14 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

However, some perspective is needed. It would be a massive, massive gamble which would potentially see us out of Europe again.

Tammy as CF3 a gamble?  An insurance policy perhaps.  But he won't be worse than an out of form Morata.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

The counter question is of course if we didn't own Tammy would people be suggesting we sign him as our first choice striker and that he should start every game for a season to see how he gets on. Let's be honest even if he was available on a free people would be suggesting we sign him as second choice, or to sign him and loan him out to a Prem team for a season. If he was our only striker signing and we shipped out Morata out on loan people would be up in arms that we had signed some kid form the Championship and were relying on him.

I get that its a bit different because we DO own him, and that maybe he can't be any worse than Morata, and that signing a world class striker would block his progression here. However, some perspective is needed. It would be a massive, massive gamble which would potentially see us out of Europe again.

How I would answer your counter question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

But we do, and the gamble of picking him is zero (financially) as opposed to spunking a fortune on someone like Wilson, or an ageing Higuain. 

You've conveniently snipped the part of my post where I said even on a free, also it would be a massive gamble on a sporting level which could ultimately lead to financial losses and losing your best players. I agree Wilson and Higuaín would not be good purchases, and I highly doubt that we are even in for them. They are not the only two strikers out there though.

10 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Can Tammy do a job for next 6 months for us?  Yes.
Is that in his best long term interests - or even ours?  No.

I agree

11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think it could be a bit tedious on here if we do bring him back as CF3 for 6 months.  There will be long rants about how he has to start and that Sarri is ruining the career of a player who will want to leave.

Tammy as CF3 a gamble?  An insurance policy perhaps.  But he won't be worse than an out of form Morata.

My post was specifically in response to people saying he should come in and start every game. The gamble with Tammy being ST3 is that he won't be happy, I'm sure he would be a more than adequate ST3 if that was his role in the squad.

I think neither Morata and Giroud are good enough and the correct way to blood Tammy in would be as ST2 behind a world class option, in a squad with two strikers like we have now (potentially after another season on loan in the prem if he has the patience for it) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A genuine question, how many strikers have transferred Championship form in to the PL? Off the top of my head I can only really think of Andy Johnson, although I'm sure must be some more.

On the flip side I can think of many that haven't: Nugent, Lita, Rhodes, Earnshaw, Bamford, Ince, Gayle... and many more.

The difference between the Championship and Premier League is big and some players are just better suited to the Championship than the Premier League and it's quite possible Tammy has found his level in the Championship... hopefully not, but bringing him in to cover the rest of the season has a lot of risk about it to me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I think neither Morata and Giroud are good enough and the correct way to blood Tammy in would be as ST2 behind a world class option, in a squad with two strikers like we have now (potentially after another season on loan in the prem if he has the patience for it) 

I Agree, however there are very few world class strikers out there, probably none we can realistically sign the next best are almost just as unrealistic so who do we sign instead of playing him next season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sciatika   

Anyone that came up with a Championship side.  Didn't Jamie Vardy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

A genuine question, how many strikers have transferred Championship form in to the PL? Off the top of my head I can only really think of Andy Johnson, although I'm sure must be some more.

On the flip side I can think of many that haven't: Nugent, Lita, Rhodes, Earnshaw, Bamford, Ince, Gayle... and many more.

The difference between the Championship and Premier League is big and some players are just better suited to the Championship than the Premier League and it's quite possible Tammy has found his level in the Championship... hopefully not, but bringing him in to cover the rest of the season has a lot of risk about it to me.

 

It's a good point but how many of those players had 39 goals in 61 games at the age of 21?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now