• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
2 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Anyone that came up with a Championship side.  Didn't Jamie Vardy?

Kevin Phillips

paulw66   
Just now, Martin1905 said:

It's a good point but how many of those players had 39 goals in 61 games at the age of 21?

None, I imagine 

5 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

A genuine question, how many strikers have transferred Championship form in to the PL? Off the top of my head I can only really think of Andy Johnson, although I'm sure must be some more.

On the flip side I can think of many that haven't: Nugent, Lita, Rhodes, Earnshaw, Bamford, Ince, Gayle... and many more.

The difference between the Championship and Premier League is big and some players are just better suited to the Championship than the Premier League and it's quite possible Tammy has found his level in the Championship... hopefully not, but bringing him in to cover the rest of the season has a lot of risk about it to me.

Risk? compared to signing a top class striker, yes. playing instead of Giroud / Morata? not so much 

4 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

The gamble with Tammy being ST3 is that he won't be happy, I'm sure he would be a more than adequate ST3 if that was his role in the squad.

I think neither Morata and Giroud are good enough and the correct way to blood Tammy in would be as ST2 behind a world class option, in a squad with two strikers like we have now (potentially after another season on loan in the prem if he has the patience for it) 

Agree entirely with this. If we were signing Tammy and were signing him to be ST3 and he knew that, then that's fine - thats the position we've got him in for and he understands that. However, to bring him back from a successful loan deal where he is starting games and scoring goals to then sit behind 2 underperforming strikers would be wrong and he'd rightly get the hump and probably leave and his development would be delayed... nobody wins.

If this summer (or next) we were to turn to him and say 'Ok, we're getting in Mr World Class striker and we want you to be his back up, you'll get good time off the bench, the cup games and be able to learn from him for the next few seasons with a possibility of taking the starting position in that time if you can prove yourself, he'd be all over it and we'd get the best out of him and his development would continue. Obviously a risk to it if he doesn't do well, but at least we'd have a true world class striker to actually get the job done. Possibly you bring in a more experienced guy as 3rd choice just in case.

Maybe it's all too simple and unrealistic, but it's a nice thought.

7 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

How I would answer your counter question.

That's fine if you don't think it would be a massive gamble to rely on him as first choice striker then that is a bold opinion. Obviously this is all hypothetical atm but I think you would be in the minority on here with that opinion if that situation arose.

I've said previously there are players in the Championship with similar or better records than Tammy in terms of goals scored and goals per minute. You would think if the step up to the Prem (let alone Chelsea) is so simple that Prem teams would be scrambling for their signature. The only transfer links I've seen was for one of them to replace Tammy at Villa, and certainly nobody has mentioned them on here as being potentially good enough to play for Chelsea.

I hope I'm not coming across as a Tammy hater or writing him off, I do rate him I just think some on here are getting ahead of themselves and it is important his progression is managed correctly to benefit the player and club log term.

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

None, I imagine 

Risk? compared to signing a top class striker, yes. playing instead of Giroud / Morata? not so much 

Would he play instead of though? Or would he be 3rd choice behind Hazard and Giroud? Because if that is the case he's not seeing much action, his development is heavily impacted and delayed. He may also get game time and do badly, lose his confidence and market value.

The flip side is obviously he comes in does a Harry Kane and we are laughing.

But that's the risk. I'm not saying it won't work and I'm not dead against it, but it is definitely a risk.

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Lump Of Celery said:

That's fine if you don't think it would be a massive gamble to rely on him as first choice striker then that is a bold opinion.

I don't think anyone is saying Abraham is definitely ready to be CF1 and is risk free, but when the alternative is what we have now, the genuine, and somewhat obvious question is, could he do much worse? 

Morata and Giroud have 6 league goals between them. How much worse could Tammy have done with the same minutes?

paulw66   
1 minute ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Would he play instead of though?

That is the question I can't answer........ My posts have been on the basis / asumption that he comes back and is given serious game time. 

My personal belief is that he couldn't do much worse, and who knows, maybe he will do a lot better

paulw66   

Funilly enough, a young Andy Cole played 41 games for Bristol City, scoring 20 goals, before Newcastle bought him off Arsenal.

Tammy went to Bristol City and scored 23 in 41 

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I don't think anyone is saying Abraham is definitely ready to be CF1 and is risk free

I think Martin has said exactly that which is kind of where this all started

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

could he do much worse? 

He is completely unproven at the top level so I think he could easily do as bad or worse which is why I think it is a gamble both in terms of our season and his future career, here or elsewhere. I'm sure somebody will mention Swansea, did ok in a struggling team etc. Since when has that, or playing the championship, been an indication of being good enough to play for Chelsea.

On Tammy Abraham, get the ball into the box and he'll score you goals, so will Michy, so will Morata & so will Giroud.

If you accept that the common theme is get the damn ball into the box as early as you can, the four strikers we have will get goals - Problem is we don't though, for a number of reasons - deep lying defences etc.

What TA has currently that the others won't have is confidence and that's a really, really big advantage over the others, the other trait that he's showing (at Championship level anyway) is anticipation, he's that fraction of a second quicker of thought and movement than defenders. Whether that would through at PL level is the gamble.

If we can't get a permanent striker solution in this window, I'd bring TA back - My guess is he'd get more goals than the ones we have currently, whether his other contributions are good enough to balance out any deficiencies in general play is a roll of the dice. 

• Like 2