• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Can you imagine Tammy and CHO in the same side for a good go ? It'd be brilliant I think .

Agreed! Add in RLC and Hazard and we have a very competitive outfit.

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I think Martin has said exactly that which is kind of where this all started

He is completely unproven at the top level so I think he could easily do as bad or worse which is why I think it is a gamble both in terms of our season and his future career, here or elsewhere. I'm sure somebody will mention Swansea, did ok in a struggling team etc. Since when has that, or playing the championship, been an indication of being good enough to play for Chelsea.

As I say, our strikers have 6 goals between them. I don't see how he could have done much worse at all. 

Moreover, the bottom 6 or 7 season sides are not much different in standard to championship sides anyway. 

I said I would bring him back in the summer and give him a proper go and by that I mean he would start as first choice.

Unless we go and spend an absolute fortune on a genuine world class striker, something I have absolutely no doubt we will not do.

36 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

A genuine question, how many strikers have transferred Championship form in to the PL? Off the top of my head I can only really think of Andy Johnson, although I'm sure must be some more.

Form.  How many Championship strikers have got 16 in 20.  Or 23 in 41 for Bristol City*
And for clubs that would have struggled without him.

More than Form.  I see Tammy as much more than a finisher.  He does really seem to lead the line and Drogba style motivate the rest of the team.    And he does have pace, size, and unlike pretty much every other Chelsea Academy midfielder or attacker I have seen in ages, plenty of willingness to use his body.

(Why does the Academy keep on producing 5'11" bruisers as defenders, and 6'4" featherweights in attacking roles?)

*Beaten by Martin I see.

BTW I  see Bristol City have taken Kasey Palmer on loan to add to Kalas and Jay DaSilva.  I take it Chelsea see them as looking after our players.
Also yesterday, Lewis Baker went on loan to Reading.  Good for both.

bert19   
8 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I said I would bring him back in the summer and give him a proper go and by that I mean he would start as first choice.

Unless we go and spend an absolute fortune on a genuine world class striker, something I have absolutely no doubt we will not do.

I think I'd be ok with us signing a new striker, possibly keeping Giroud as a back up and having Tammy here too.  If Giroud was up for it, having Tammy as CF2 and him here too would work quite well. 

36 minutes ago, East Lower said:

On Tammy Abraham, get the ball into the box and he'll score you goals, so will Michy, so will Morata & so will Giroud.

If you accept that the common theme is get the damn ball into the box as early as you can, the four strikers we have will get goals - Problem is we don't though, for a number of reasons - deep lying defences etc.

What TA has currently that the others won't have is confidence and that's a really, really big advantage over the others, the other trait that he's showing (at Championship level anyway) is anticipation, he's that fraction of a second quicker of thought and movement than defenders. Whether that would through at PL level is the gamble.

If we can't get a permanent striker solution in this window, I'd bring TA back - My guess is he'd get more goals than the ones we have currently, whether his other contributions are good enough to balance out any deficiencies in general play is a roll of the dice. 

I'd tend to agree. We spend far too much time trying to get through the middle of packed deep defences. In spite of missing sitters and being low in confidence, Morata did score twice when we went around the defence and put in crosses. As you say, all four of those strikers are capable of finishing those kind of chances, and as you also say, Tammy is the one with the confidence and the better anticipation currently. It would require our coach to accept that trying to go through the middle all the time isn't working and that alternative tactics need to be employed.

27 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

More than Form.  I see Tammy as much more than a finisher.  He does really seem to lead the line and Drogba style motivate the rest of the team.    And he does have pace, size, and unlike pretty much every other Chelsea Academy midfielder or attacker I have seen in ages, plenty of willingness to use his body.

This is it for me, its not just about his goals, its about everything he has and does. I don't think there is any doubt he's going to be good enough for us, its just how we get him ready, which is why I think Higuain on a short deal make a a lot of sense. Massive improvement on what we have and won't get in Tammy's way.

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Quite right.

I think we should give him a proper go next season and when I say a proper go I mean play him week in, week out from the very beginning of the season.

There's a serious shortage of top quality strikers, the very best Lewandoski, Suarez, Aguero etc are all at top clubs and over 30, the next best like Icardi, Immobile, Kane, Werner etc are all going to probably end up replacing those or Costa fortune.

There's very few players out there we could realistically sign. I'd like to see us get Higuain for the rest of the season, if that is even possible, and then go all in on Tammy next year. I just don't see any alternative, unless we spend an absolute fortune, which I can't see happening.

Absolutely. I’d be giving Hudson-Odoi, Abraham, Loftus-Cheek and Ampadu a real go next season. 

They are all very special talents. We have to take advantage of that with the crazy end of the market we’re operating in. 

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Absolutely. I’d be giving Hudson-Odoi, Abraham, Loftus-Cheek and Ampadu a real go next season. 

They are all very special talents. We have to take advantage of that with the crazy end of the market we’re operating in. 

We are like minds to the hilt on this Ghost. We have brought these young talents through our academy and must now take the plunge and endeavour to reap the benefits. All of the players you mention are good enough I'm sure and we should show complete confidence in them and support them through their ups and downs come what may.