• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Ham   

It's good to hear that Marina is only keen on Higuain on loan if there are no strings at the end. If there is a compulsion on us to buy then it's a no brainer.  

43 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

We are like minds to the hilt on this Ghost. We have brought these young talents through our academy and must now take the plunge and endeavour to reap the benefits. All of the players you mention are good enough I'm sure and we should show complete confidence in them and support them through their ups and downs come what may.

Except Ampadu, of course 😉 
I agree, though... all four are talented, all four are young, and all four ought to be used in such a way that the money saved buying squad fillers in their positions is used getting one or two world beaters.

3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I'd tend to agree. We spend far too much time trying to get through the middle of packed deep defences. In spite of missing sitters and being low in confidence, Morata did score twice when we went around the defence and put in crosses. As you say, all four of those strikers are capable of finishing those kind of chances, and as you also say, Tammy is the one with the confidence and the better anticipation currently. It would require our coach to accept that trying to go through the middle all the time isn't working and that alternative tactics need to be employed.

A non-too subtle clue might be that we've managed just the one goal against PL class opponents in the last four games -Leicester, Palace, Southampton & Tottenham. It'd tell me I'd need to change something and if I can't change the people too much, then tactics is the next stop?

Conte did it with Morata when he first arrived, the deep cross from Dave into Morata resulted in about 5 goals if I recall correctly.  If Sarri's chosen set of tactics are the ones we've seen already then I'd look at our full-backs, neither match the modern version of requirements for  the position. Converted wide midfielders or wingers who have the natural characteristics of speed, naturally staying wide and stretching out back fours/fives, good crossers/passers and generally being quick with a trick or two beat their man/get the yard required for a cross or pull back. We've a great defender on one side, but limited in attack and a nice footballer who's not the best defender, pretty pedestrian and can't get past an opposing full-back (and is currently on an extended run of poor form). This is really causing us problems and I'd be giving Emerson a run for up to four games to see if it improves us.

23 minutes ago, Ham said:

It's good to hear that Marina is only keen on Higuain on loan if there are no strings at the end. If there is a compulsion on us to buy then it's a no brainer.  

Higuain for the reported £30m fee wouldnt be that expensive considering we paid £18m for Giroud who was the same age a year ago. An extra £12m for a player who is vastly superior is not too bad in my opinion.

However I do think a loan with an option to buy for a set fee would be the best best. If he works out well then we keep him for another year or two and have Tammy as second choice but make sure he gets plenty of games. If he flops we just send him back and look for someone else this summer.

One thing I can guarantee, for all his critics, is he would make a big difference to us and score a lot more goals than our current strikers.

1 minute ago, Martin1905 said:

However I do think a loan with an option to buy for a set fee would be the best best. If he works out well then we keep him for another year or two and have Tammy as second choice but make sure he gets plenty of games. If he flops we just send him back and look for someone else this summer.

So not a 3 year contract, not even a 1 year contract, you want a 6 month option on a 31 year old..  

I know that is in line with club policy, but I suspect both Hiquain and his Juve/Milan owners might want more.
Juve replaced him with Ronaldo, but they did pay Sarri's Napoli  EUR 90m for him back in 2016.

His ownership is complicated too.  From Wiki:

On 2 August 2018, Higuaín was signed by Milan on a season-long loan deal.[72] As per the official statement of Juventus, Milan would pay a loan fee of €18 million to Juventus in the 2018–19 season; also Milan would have the option to outright buy Higuaín the following season for €36 million, payable in two installments.[73]

That could take some sorting out unless Juve show a lot of good will in transferring the Milan option rights to us (and I don't see why they need to do that unless they get an extra fee too).

Not really aware of how well he is doing at Milan.  But it strikes me that if he is doing badly, Milan will just want half of their loan fee, and Juve really won't care what happens next.
But if he is doing well, both will expecting a nice earner out of this and it could be very tricky.

I heard Mikel has been given a free transfer how about him on a short term deal if fabregas is allowed to leave instead of spending a fortune on a panic buy 

52 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Except Ampadu, of course 😉 
I agree, though... all four are talented, all four are young, and all four ought to be used in such a way that the money saved buying squad fillers in their positions is used getting one or two world beaters.

Quite right. I got carried away there! I also think that some of the four, who knows maybe all of them, might well go on to become world class contenders themselves.

Ham   
16 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

So not a 3 year contract, not even a 1 year contract, you want a 6 month option on a 31 year old..  

I know that is in line with club policy, but I suspect both Hiquain and his Juve/Milan owners might want more.
Juve replaced him with Ronaldo, but they did pay Sarri's Napoli  EUR 90m for him back in 2016.

His ownership is complicated too.  From Wiki:

On 2 August 2018, Higuaín was signed by Milan on a season-long loan deal.[72] As per the official statement of Juventus, Milan would pay a loan fee of €18 million to Juventus in the 2018–19 season; also Milan would have the option to outright buy Higuaín the following season for €36 million, payable in two installments.[73]

That could take some sorting out unless Juve show a lot of good will in transferring the Milan option rights to us (and I don't see why they need to do that unless they get an extra fee too).

Not really aware of how well he is doing at Milan.  But it strikes me that if he is doing badly, Milan will just want half of their loan fee, and Juve really won't care what happens next.
But if he is doing well, both will expecting a nice earner out of this and it could be very tricky.

I'd read somewhere that this is wrong and that it was not an "option" to buy but an "obligation" and that this is what Marina was unhappy with. 

Happy with an option. 

14 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Quite right. I got carried away there! I also think that some of the four, who knows maybe all of them, might well go on to become world class contenders themselves.

No doubt that they have the potential.

9 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

No doubt that they have the potential.

+ Reece James

+ Mason Mount (ahead of Barkley)

Christensen, Ampadu, RLC, CHO, Tammy, James and Mount in the same squad would be impressive and simultaneously unthinkable.