• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

So signing a player that has 13 league goals in his entire career is better than someone that has nearly 300?

Whilst I don't entirely disagree with your point, you are ignoring a number of factors -

Higuaín - very high wages, will be worth nothing at the end of their contract, record in last 11 games 1 goal and a red card while playing for a team ten positions higher in the table who presumably create more chances. Clearly has fitness/weight issues unlikely to get better with age.

Piatek - lower wages, will retain value due to lower age, potentially contribute for a number of years, scoring goals in a poor team. Value likely to rise with each goal he scores, possibly to the point we are unable to afford or attain him should we wait for him to become 'proven'. Pretty much impossible to have 300 goals by age 23.

For me Higuaín is a bit past it, our of form, too expensive and just reminds me of other poor recent signings we have made up fornt in recent years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to throw Luka Jovic's name into the hat. Only 21, has averaged a goal every 89 minutes over his short career to date playing in Germany. This season 14(7) appearances with 17 goals, a goal every 75 minutes (although 5 did come in one game which skews it slightly similar to Piatek)

Anyone seen much of him? We could do with a resident Bundesliga expert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leo91   

The Chelsea criteria for a striker is ridiculous. Can't be young because they need experience but can't be over 30 either. A goal poacher doesn't work in our system and neither does a target man. What we're looking for is about as rare as the abominable snowman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kezza   

Having 300 goals sounds good until you remember that all pro football player has a shelf life and then the 300 goals does not mean much except with negative returns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Whilst I don't entirely disagree with your point, you are ignoring a number of factors -

Higuaín - very high wages, will be worth nothing at the end of their contract, record in last 11 games 1 goal and a red card while playing for a team ten positions higher in the table who presumably create more chances. Clearly has fitness/weight issues unlikely to get better with age.

Piatek - lower wages, will retain value due to lower age, potentially contribute for a number of years, scoring goals in a poor team. Value likely to rise with each goal he scores, possibly to the point we are unable to afford or attain him should we wait for him to become 'proven'. Pretty much impossible to have 300 goals by age 23.

For me Higuaín is a bit past it, our of form, too expensive and just reminds me of other poor recent signings we have made up fornt in recent years

The key for me is that he is a proven goalscorer who knows the manager, the manager wants him and is seemingly available. It being a short term option is also vital for me as I really want to see Tammy Abraham come back in the summer and be given a proper chance to prove himself.

I have also always rated him very highly, seems I'm in the minority there though.

Piatek is going to cost a fair amount of money and is a far bigger gamble. 18 league games, that's it. He may turn out to be a world beater but he could just as likely turn out to be absolutely rubbish. 

If we are going to judge him purely on his statistics, as I'd imagine we are because I can't imagine many have seen all his 18 games, then Tammy Abraham has a far more impressive record. Piatek, before this season had 47 goals in 135 goals, in Poland. He's nearly 24. Tammy has 39 championship goals in 62 games, plus 5 premier league goals and has just turned 21. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

The key for me is that he is a proven goalscorer who knows the manager, the manager wants him and is seemingly available. It being a short term option is also vital for me as I really want to see Tammy Abraham come back in the summer and be given a proper chance to prove himself.

I have also always rated him very highly, seems I'm in the minority there though.

Piatek is going to cost a fair amount of money and is a far bigger gamble. 18 league games, that's it. He may turn out to be a world beater but he could just as likely turn out to be absolutely rubbish. 

If we are going to judge him purely on his statistics, as I'd imagine we are because I can't imagine many have seen all his 18 games, then Tammy Abraham has a far more impressive record. Piatek, before this season had 47 goals in 135 goals, in Poland. He's nearly 24. Tammy has 39 championship goals in 62 games, plus 5 premier league goals and has just turned 21. 

 

Agreed we need to give Abraham a proper go. His record speaks for itself and there’s no way he’d be worse than either Morata or Giroud this season. Just can’t see it. 

Abraham is a proper striker as well. Can be a target AND only needs half a chance in the box to score. He needs to come back and as a minimum be our S2. The perfect solution for me would have been to have a proper world class striker as our first choice with Tammy the back-up. Given the number of games we are bound to play he’d see plenty of minutes regardless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jones   

Higuain loan deal for 18 months with option to buy edging close according to multiple Italian media/journalists. 22m loan fee for 1.5y + wages. While Morata looks to seal a 45m deal to Atletico (structured as six month loan with option to buy). 13m lower than what he cost, but we do not need to record a loss as his fee has been amortised with 30 % already. In terms of book value/cost, Higuain (21.8m/y) will be slightly more expensive than Morata (19.6m/y), given both players are rumoured to be at around 150k in wages.

While not the long term deal everyone would have wanted, this is probably the best short term deal we can do at the moment, given Sarri’s confidence in and relationship with Higuain and Morata’s struggles. If we can get rid of him without recording a loss, and bring in a CF our manager knows and adores, for the same annual cost, then it sounds like good business to me, given the situation. That is of course Higuain proves to be a good goal scorer for us! A lot of the pressure on Higuain will in fact be on Sarri, as this is HIS signing.

Hope we can get it done before Arsenal. Milan apparantly closing in on Piatek, so things can move fast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jones said:

Higuain loan deal for 18 months with option to buy edging close according to multiple Italian media/journalists. 22m loan fee for 1.5y + wages. While Morata looks to seal a 45m deal to Atletico (structured as six month loan with option to buy). 13m lower than what he cost, but we do not need to record a loss as his fee has been amortised with 30 % already. In terms of book value/cost, Higuain (21.8m/y) will be slightly more expensive than Morata (19.6m/y), given both players are rumoured to be at around 150k in wages.

While not the long term deal everyone would have wanted, this is probably the best short term deal we can do at the moment, given Sarri’s confidence in and relationship with Higuain and Morata’s struggles. If we can get rid of him without recording a loss, and bring in a CF our manager knows and adores, for the same annual cost, then it sounds like good business to me, given the situation. That is of course Higuain proves to be a good goal scorer for us! A lot of the pressure on Higuain will in fact be on Sarri, as this is HIS signing.

Hope we can get it done before Arsenal. Milan apparantly closing in on Piatek, so things can move fast.

Sounds pretty fanciful to me, so Juve are going to take 14m less than their agreement with Milan, and pick up Higuains wages for the last year of his contract when he will be 33 and clearly have no future. Also can't see Piatek moving after six months and if he does I reckon it would be for a fee Milan can't afford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love Piatek as I dont think he's a flash in the pan , but equally I'd love Tam to be given a shot. The critical thing at the moment is to get shot of Morata and freshen things up (maybe with Higuain) . We must not falter because United will be all over us before long. Hudson has got to stay and each day he's here is good news. Not long now.  

Before we know it James Prescot will be on these pages. His very presence gives me the willies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now