• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yes, actually they did.

See the post I first replied to.

I know what happens, I've been here almost from the start. Long before most who currently habitate here now. There used to be rules (when all post had to approved before appearing on the forums), but people didn't want those, and so it became open slather,  even for the most ludicrous rumours. Really I don't have a problem with that, until people start taking rumours as fact, and move forward from that. We may sign Higuain, or we may not - it isn't a 'done deal'. He certainly isn't in the lineup for our next game (which is where I came in). And that's all I was pointing out.

Well I looked hard for that quote and I couldn't find it. Must have got lost amongst the vast majority of perfectly reasonable quotes in the last 7 or 8 pages. These posts are usually qualified by something like " if true" or " I hope that's not the case" or "sounds like" . We are all guessing at that point. As it turns out those crazy wild claims doing the rounds were pretty close to correct ( they don't always turn out to be complete bollocks). Higs is coming and it's an initial loan but it looks like no obligation to buy....maybe.

  I don't know what this forum was like 15 years ago , but I can read back 15 pages and see how people are reacting and it's an extreme minority that take rumour as fact ( in fact I really couldn't find any but I'll take your word that somebody said something). But commenting on a rumour that might become a fact is obviously common and a perfectly reasonable thing to do. 

Edited by NoblyBobly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well I looked hard for that quote and I couldn't find it. Must have got lost amongst the vast majority of perfectly reasonable quotes in the last 7 or 8 pages. These posts are usually qualified by something like " if true" or " I hope that's not the case" or "sounds like" . We are all guessing at that point. As it turns out those crazy wild claims doing the rounds were pretty close to correct ( they don't always turn out to be complete bollocks). Higs is coming and it's an initial loan but it looks like no obligation to buy....maybe.

  I don't know what this forum was like 15 years ago , but I can read back 15 pages and see how people are reacting and it's an extreme minority that take rumour as fact ( in fact I really couldn't find any but I'll take your word that somebody said something). But commenting on a rumour that might become a fact is obviously common and a perfectly reasonable thing to do. 

Mate, I really can't be bothered with the back and fore. it is what it is, so think  whatever you like (you probably will anyway), I'm done with it. And with this place, if the truth be known.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Which would be great if we were getting the ball into the box a lot to be fair. 

For Gonzalo Higuain to be successful we are going to have to make quite a few adjustments to our style of play - which I feel we can do. 

But this is definitely not the Higuain that most would have seen at Real Madrid who was aggressive and industrious. In fact, I think he looks a bit overweight at the moment. And he hasn’t had the best 2 years IMO.

Nevertheless, its good that the club has backed Sarri. Let’s hope that the end result is a successful system.

I've seen around the traps that there's a lot of people under this illusion that because he's played under Sarri before and excelled, that he'll just slot straight in here and perform to a similar standard. I can't help but feel that a few of these people are going to get a rude awakening. He's not even the same player that last played under Sarri in 2015/16. His fitness has been an ongoing issue for the last few seasons to the point where he's been left out of games and heavily criticised for it. 

On top of that his form and general performances on the pitch have steadily declined in each season since leaving Napoli. 

What concerns me the most though is the pace of the PL. He's already someone that looks slow and laboured in Serie A games where the pace is slower, putting him into a more physically demanding league that is played at a quicker pace could see him struggle further. The other biggest aspect that is overlook is spacing. In Italy he has a lot more time on the ball and space around him to work with. That won't be the case in England, he'll have players close him down far quicker and games are generally more compact. He's better than Morata with his back to goal and does well for his overall size to hold up play and use his body, I'm just not sure if it's going to be enough. He certainly won't be out running defenders or winning many foot races in behind, so he'll be heavily reliant on supply and timing his run/movement in the box. Even if all that comes together he will need to improve his shooting from where it's been so far while at AC Milan. He's hitting the target less than what Morata has been and converting chances at a lower rate as well, all while averaging a similar number of shots per game. A big reason why he went 8 league games without a goal. 

With all that being said hopefully he can come in and do the business. As someone who has been able to watch my fair share of him over the last few years, he was a quality player in his pomp. Fingers crossed there's still something in the tank for us to enjoy and to make this deal a good bit of business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

I agree. But can we/will we? I'm not as sure about Sarri as you appear to be - but I hope that you're right.

Closer to the reality, I think. 

 

To be fair to Sarri, he does appear to be trying to make adjustments which have been pretty obvious over the past 3 weeks and we’re only 1 point off Tottenham in third. 

The team is far from a finished product and Higuain has a lot of question marks over his head but I remember watching Real Madrid games back in 06-07 when Capello took over and Higuain was a young kid thrown into a team with options like Raul and Van Nistelrooy on the books and Higuain, even back then, was a guy who was already scoring goals.

And thats all I’m hoping for from Higuain.. This guy we have seen at Milan isn't the Higuain we saw throughout his career.

I would argue that he never wanted to go to Milan in the first place and wanted to come to Chelsea all along. Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

To be fair to Sarri, he does appear to be trying to make adjustments which have been pretty obvious over the past 3 weeks and we’re only 1 point off Tottenham in third. 

The team is far from a finished product and Higuain has a lot of question marks over his head but I remember watching Real Madrid games back in 06-07 when Capello took over and Higuain was a young kid thrown into a team with options like Raul and Van Nistelrooy on the books and Higuain, even back then, was a guy who was already scoring goals.

And thats all I’m hoping for from Higuain.. This guy we have seen at Milan isn't the Higuain we saw throughout his career.

I would argue that he never wanted to go to Milan in the first place and wanted to come to Chelsea all along. Time will tell.

I think that most, if not all, hope for that too. i don't watch Italian football as often as some, but from what I've seen of him, there appears to be a lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread, based on the player he was. Anyway, IF he does come, then hopefully he'll deliver what Sarri wants/needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I for one don't expect to see the Higuain saw during his prime, that would be stupid. I also dont expect him to be the same as he was when he was with Sarri at Napoli, that would also be stupid.

I'm also not going to judge him on the last six months, there could be all manner of reasons as to why he's not done too well there and none of us know them. He's clearly not happy at Milan, hasnt settled and wants to leave.

he's coming on a short term deal which allows us to extend it if he comes in and does well or just send him back if he can't handle the premier league and then we can have another look at others in the summer.

He's a lot, lot better than what we currently have and looks like we will see the end of Morata too, which is a bonus. 

Could also benefit Abraham who will hopefully come back in the summer and be second choice to him. What would a signing like Piatek or Callum Wilson have done for Tammy?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Well, I for one don't expect to see the Higuain saw during his prime, that would be stupid. I also dont expect him to be the same as he was when he was with Sarri at Napoli, that would also be stupid.

I'm also not going to judge him on the last six months, there could be all manner of reasons as to why he's not done too well there and none of us know them. He's clearly not happy at Milan, hasnt settled and wants to leave.

he's coming on a short term deal which allows us to extend it if he comes in and does well or just send him back if he can't handle the premier league and then we can have another look at others in the summer.

He's a lot, lot better than what we currently have and looks like we will see the end of Morata too, which is a bonus. 

Could also benefit Abraham who will hopefully come back in the summer and be second choice to him. What would a signing like Piatek or Callum Wilson have done for Tammy?

 

 

 

lets hope the January signing of Higuaín has a better impact than Giroud last season, if not were finish out of the top four again and he and Sarri will be shown the door

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dingus   

Would be great to actually have a striker in their 20's actually make a decent go of it at the club as opposed to signing strikers in their 30's (Zola aside). We were truly blessed to have Drogba for as long as we did.

A shame that it hasn't worked out for Morata but lets hope Higuaín can do something for us for the rest of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I think that most, if not all, hope for that too. I don't watch Italian football as often as some, but from what I've seen of him, there appears to be a lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread, based on the player he was. Anyway, IF he does come, then hopefully he'll deliver what Sarri wants/needs.

I lack words to describe how bad a signing this would be. Higuan is completely unsuited to PL. He would have struggled in his peak days. And now, overweight, lazy and devoid of any movement, I cannot comprehend what Sarri is thinking. Yet again, the manager seems to be blaming any failure entirely on the players, rather than also have a look at our system. Any suggestion that Higuan would have done better than Morata is simply a joke as far as I am concerned. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Higuain on effectively an 18 month loan. Morata and Michy both sold for about £40m each.

Gives us £80m plus any more money raised to buy a real world class ST in the summer, with Higuain rotating with him next season.

Higuain is to replace Giroud long term IMO.

Edited by James Prescott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now