• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

He's around somewhere, just not posting atm. 

I've been reading, but not posting much. I don't get wound up like I used to about transfers. Made a comment about the Higuain deal, as it looks close. But I don't come here much to post anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
20 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

I've been reading, but not posting much. I don't get wound up like I used to about transfers. Made a comment about the Higuain deal, as it looks close. But I don't come here much to post anymore.

Nice to see you, Jimmy. If nothing else, an optimist to outbalance the wave of pessimism on here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
45 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I lack words to describe how bad a signing this would be. Higuan is completely unsuited to PL. He would have struggled in his peak days. And now, overweight, lazy and devoid of any movement, I cannot comprehend what Sarri is thinking. Yet again, the manager seems to be blaming any failure entirely on the players, rather than also have a look at our system. Any suggestion that Higuan would have done better than Morata is simply a joke as far as I am concerned. 

Well, he couldn't have done much worse. Morata has 5 PL goals, Giroud 1 and this for a team who are 4th, averaging over 2 points a game. There is a significant potential upside here, with little downside. 

It's funny, when the board "don't back their manager" there is outrage against the board, then when they do, it's a case of the manager blaming his players...... Morata has been given plenty of opportunities (in all senses of the word) and just hasn't taken them. Do you really think Morata would thrive in a different system? If so, which? He has failed in Conte's counter attacking team, and he is failing in Sarri's possession based style. Is Sarri right to blame the player in this instance? Yes, I would say so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

I lack words to describe how bad a signing this would be. Higuan is completely unsuited to PL. He would have struggled in his peak days. And now, overweight, lazy and devoid of any movement, I cannot comprehend what Sarri is thinking. Yet again, the manager seems to be blaming any failure entirely on the players, rather than also have a look at our system. Any suggestion that Higuan would have done better than Morata is simply a joke as far as I am concerned. 

Although I see your worries with a south american striker past his peak, I still struggle to see how he can be worse than Morata. Higuain, for all his faults, is a real goal scorer who will score on half-chances whereas Morata will, routinely, miss absolute sitters. 

My main worry is that we don't have enough movement as a team, but having a striker who'll populate the box is surely better than one who's chronically offside or lying on the ground gesticulating to the ref. 

I'm also somewhat re-assured that Higuain will know Sarri's system intimately aqnd hence have a deep understanding on what's expected of him. That, and moving Hazard back to his favoured LW position is great news for me. It also means we have effectively an additional option in attack (I don't count Morata as an option anymore) giving us;

Pedro/Hudson-Odoi     Higuain/Giroud     Hazard/Willian

That should be better than what we have and hopefully take us over the finishing line in fourth place as a minimum. 

 

1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

Higuain on effectively an 18 month loan. Morata and Michy both sold for about £40m each.

Gives us £80m plus any more money raised to buy a real world class ST in the summer, with Higuain rotating with him next season.

Higuain is to replace Giroud long term IMO.

If we get £40m for Batshuayi then we have done some wonderful negotiation work. Personally I can't see it considering how bad of a loan he's had at Valencia. Maybe something like £25m is closer to reality? Can we even sell him or do we have to loan him out again? What about Morata, will Atletico pay £40m for him? If so we should bite their hand off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

I lack words to describe how bad a signing this would be. Higuan is completely unsuited to PL. He would have struggled in his peak days. And now, overweight, lazy and devoid of any movement, I cannot comprehend what Sarri is thinking. Yet again, the manager seems to be blaming any failure entirely on the players, rather than also have a look at our system. Any suggestion that Higuan would have done better than Morata is simply a joke as far as I am concerned. 

He can be no more than a stop gap given his age. A year at most is all we would have from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Mate, I really can't be bothered with the back and fore. it is what it is, so think  whatever you like (you probably will anyway), I'm done with it. And with this place, if the truth be known.

Well Amen to no back and fore.  I think what I'm saying is that this transfer topic is a very interesting thread. Yes people jump the gun, yes people speculate (human nature) and get angry and happy unnecessarily, but some people have good knowledge and interesting thoughts and predictions. I doesn't have TOO much of the general tit for tat point scoring which we are all guilty of. My favourite thread in fact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Higuain on effectively an 18 month loan. Morata and Michy both sold for about £40m each.

IF we get 40mil EACH for those two and ,with the reported 12 mil for fabregas, the summer should be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

 

Although I see your worries with a south american striker past his peak, I still struggle to see how he can be worse than Morata. Higuain, for all his faults, is a real goal scorer who will score on half-chances whereas Morata will, routinely, miss absolute sitters. 

My main worry is that we don't have enough movement as a team, but having a striker who'll populate the box is surely better than one who's chronically offside or lying on the ground gesticulating to the ref. 

I'm also somewhat re-assured that Higuain will know Sarri's system intimately aqnd hence have a deep understanding on what's expected of him. That, and moving Hazard back to his favoured LW position is great news for me. It also means we have effectively an additional option in attack (I don't count Morata as an option anymore) giving us;

Pedro/Hudson-Odoi     Higuain/Giroud     Hazard/Willian

That should be better than what we have and hopefully take us over the finishing line in fourth place as a minimum. 

 

If we get £40m for Batshuayi then we have done some wonderful negotiation work. Personally I can't see it considering how bad of a loan he's had at Valencia. Maybe something like £25m is closer to reality? Can we even sell him or do we have to loan him out again? What about Morata, will Atletico pay £40m for him? If so we should bite their hand off!

Yes very much agree. Higs is a short term grade up on Morata which is what we want right now. Yes he is past his best and in the twilight of his career but I'm hoping a big move to Chelsea will make him rage against the light and give us a couple of good seasons. It will also give Sarri a boost that he has one of his own on board .  If we can get the ball to him in the right places and utilize his strengths as a goal scorer he could be very useful. If he is just here to top up his pension fund it could sound the death knell for Sarri.  Here's hoping for the best.

Edited by NoblyBobly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now