• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

9 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

I'd have him competing with Azpilicueta for RB next season. Zappacosta is on his way and why waste money on yet another fullback? Second choice RB is exactly the position an academy player can fill, leaving us to spend money where it's really needed.

I'm sure he is up to it.  We probably have half a dozen players like that up to it.  Sterling, Aina or Tomori could probably do it at RB too.
The question is whether that is the best way to treat James.  Making up numbers for the first team squad is usually what we give to the loan failures, not the successes.  

We have a lot of players like Bertrand was, certainly Championship players, with perhaps some upside.  I'm not sure he'd have been ready to contribute to the 11/12 side if he hadn't been on so many loans first.
We have very few genuine Chelsea first team prospects.  Abraham, James, CHO, maybe Mount, maybe, they tell me, RLC.

And if these players are going to fail (some will) I'd much rather they failed playing for another club than failed not playing at Chelsea where they'll always be people saying "never given a chance".

15 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

I'd have him competing with Azpilicueta for RB next season. Zappacosta is on his way and why waste money on yet another fullback? Second choice RB is exactly the position an academy player can fill, leaving us to spend money where it's really needed.

I agree. Considering how well he’s played this season we should include him in the squad next season. 

Given that Zappa seemingly is on his way out it would make little sense buying yet another RB for £20m+. How many fullbacks have we bought while Roman has owned us? I can remember Johnson, Ferreira, Bridge, Morais, Cole, Del Horno, Bosingwa, Zhirkov, Belletti, Ivanovic, Emerson, Zappacosta, Azpilicueta, Alonso, Luis and Baba Rahman. That’s 16 fullbacks in as many seasons... Pretty crazy! 

12 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm sure he is up to it.  We probably have half a dozen players like that up to it.  Sterling, Aina or Tomori could probably do it at RB too.
The question is whether that is the best way to treat James.  Making up numbers for the first team squad is usually what we give to the loan failures, not the successes.  

We have a lot of players like Bertrand was, certainly Championship players, with perhaps some upside.  I'm not sure he'd have been ready to contribute to the 11/12 side if he hadn't been on so many loans first.
We have very few genuine Chelsea first team prospects.  Abraham, James, CHO, maybe Mount, maybe, they tell me, RLC.

And if these players are going to fail (some will) I'd much rather they failed playing for another club than failed not playing at Chelsea where they'll always be people saying "never given a chance".

Although I agree with the sentiment I massively disagree with the bolded bit. Not just a little bit, but utterly and completely disagree with it. 

Loftus-Cheek is already a PL player and for me the best we’ve currently got for CM8. The only obstacle for him to be a Chelsea player for years to come is his back. 

14 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Given that Zappa seemingly is on his way out it would make little sense buying yet another RB for £20m+. How many fullbacks have we bought while Roman has owned us? I can remember Johnson, Ferreira, Bridge, Morais, Cole, Del Horno, Bosingwa, Zhirkov, Belletti, Ivanovic, Emerson, Zappacosta, Azpilicueta, Alonso, Luis and Baba Rahman. That’s 16 fullbacks in as many seasons... Pretty crazy! 

It is a lot (there was a period when we seemed to prefer 3 extra RBs to an extra CF on the basis of good value.  Didn't we have Ferreira, Bosingwa, Belletti and Ivanovic all together for a couple of seasons?

13 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Although I agree with the sentiment I massively disagree with the bolded bit. Not just a little bit, but utterly and completely disagree with it. 

Loftus-Cheek is already a PL player and for me the best we’ve currently got for CM8. The only obstacle for him to be a Chelsea player for years to come is his back. 

I've still not seen it.  I do get the "if he doesn't play how can he prove it" argument.  But he has just the one start for us in the Prem this season.

43 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

1. It is a lot (there was a period when we seemed to prefer 3 extra RBs to an extra CF on the basis of good value.  Didn't we have Ferreira, Bosingwa, Belletti and Ivanovic all together for a couple of seasons?

2. I've still not seen it.  I do get the "if he doesn't play how can he prove it" argument.  But he has just the one start for us in the Prem this season.

1. Yeah I know! (and I think you're right, we did have Ferreira, Belletti, Bosingwa and Ivanovic - while also using Diarra as RB I seem to recall) in one season. Madness. 

2. Fai renough - it's all opinions anyways. But for me he's an extremely talented player, good size, tremendous technique and speed of his feet while also posing a real goal threat. That he has only one PL start this season is criminal considering how lame Kovacic has been in that CM8 role and how well RLC had played every time he's got minutes. For me heads and shoulders above someone like Mount or CHO, which to be fair he should be considering his age. But I also think he was the bigger talent if you compare them when he was their age. 

But I also want to be fair on Sarri, he was about to break through properly when his back messed up his progress (again).

On 07/02/2019 at 9:14 AM, synavm said:

I was going to say that - Vincinius and Asensio very good on the left. I'd suggest someone like Mbappe or even Sterling would be a perfect fit for them to fill in on the right. I know Hazard played on the right for Lille sometimes, can't remember if he's done that much at Chelsea. 

Defense is getting on a bit as well, No striker and a god awful keeper, and dont forget Putting a very expensive roof on the Stadium. Obvious they need a Hazard then.:)

On 07/02/2019 at 1:01 PM, The_Ghost said:

Good point. But then again it's Real we are talking about. They don't care about such seemingly small details;) 

Looking at their recent transfer history they seemed to have moved way from the "Galactico" recruitment, But as you say Its Perez in charge so. . .

10 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Visa issues. Israeli citizenship. Conspicuously absent at games (wouldnt know where to check this, but it seems like a long time since he was at SB). 

This probably answers your own question - As I understand the situation, his 'visa issues' include not being allowed back into the UK. That makes it impossible for him to attend matches at SB until those issues are sorted.

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

But I also want to be fair on Sarri, he was about to break through properly when his back messed up his progress (again).

3 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

This probably answers your own question - As I understand the situation, his 'visa issues' include not being allowed back into the UK. That makes it impossible for him to attend matches at SB until those issues are sorted.

Well lets face it, those Russian visa problems are never going to be sorted.  He might get by with the Israeli passport which does not require him to have a visa at all for non-work events - so match watching OK, board meetings or even management meetings not OK.  But I am pretty sure the UK could get snotty about that if they wanted (and the probably do).  Flying in on private planes might be particularly tricky.

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well lets face it, those Russian visa problems are never going to be sorted. 

So, why not? 

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

He might get by with the Israeli passport which does not require him to have a visa at all for non-work events - so match watching OK, board meetings or even management meetings not OK.  

There are, as I understand it at least, plenty of Israeli businessmen who  own/run businesses in the UK, and attend meeting there. Is that not correct? So what's different about Roman, other than the usual rumour-mongering by the UK press?