• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

xCELERYx   
11 minutes ago, East Lower said:

Problem for clubs paying these 'no transfer fee' wages is that the inflated figure becomes the yardstick for others and the politics of envy commence. What happens in the Summer when clubs come calling for Dybala, or maybe his agent gets a flavour for a percentage of higher number. 

I personally think that Juventus might be sailing for stormy waters with the massive wage bill they'll have. Ronaldo, now Ramsey on super high money with others probably queuing up behind them.

Won't happen, Juve are very well ran in that regard. We've also dealt with Dybala interest effectively since he joined. He isn't for sale and if that does change, expect there to be a huge transfer fee attached to make it happen. 

We use the free transfer system better than anybody else, while have a history of not being afraid to sell high profile players if needed. 

All our key pieces are locked in, while I'm sure we'll shift anyone that needs to go to help balance the books as has always been the case - see Higuain for example. The waters will be a smooth sail.

2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Won't happen, Juve are very well ran in that regard. We've also dealt with Dybala interest effectively since he joined. He isn't for sale and if that does change, expect there to be a huge transfer fee attached to make it happen. 

We use the free transfer system better than anybody else, while have a history of not being afraid to sell high profile players if needed. 

All our key pieces are locked in, while I'm sure we'll shift anyone that needs to go to help balance the books as has always been the case - see Higuain for example. The waters will be a smooth sail.

Juventus have had the league title in their grasp for quite a few seasons now (you'll know in detail), they look to me to be chasing the CL. 

That chasing sometimes makes very rational and usually hard nosed businessmen act irrationally. As a fan and for your sake let's hope that's not the case and they stay as well run as you say. If true, £400k a week for Aaron Ramsey. He's a £30m footballer these days and £120k a week. Four year contract cost £54m, four years at £400k = £80m. Personally I think they've overpaid, he'll do ok though in Italian football. Good technician but just lacks a bit of pace.

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, East Lower said:

Juventus have had the league title in their grasp for quite a few seasons now (you'll know in detail), they look to me to be chasing the CL. 

That chasing sometimes makes very rational and usually hard nosed businessmen act irrationally. As a fan and for your sake let's hope that's not the case and they stay as well run as you say. If true, £400k a week for Aaron Ramsey. He's a £30m footballer these days and £120k a week. Four year contract cost £54m, four years at £400k = £80m. Personally I think they've overpaid, he'll do ok though in Italian football. Good technician but just lacks a bit of pace.

The Champions League has certainly been the white whale, no doubts about it. 

We've been chasing the CL for a couple of years now and this season isn't any different. That hasn't impacted the how the club has been ran though, nor will it likely do so in the future. When Higuain signed from Napoli for the fee that he did, it was all done within the clubs means. Just like with Ronaldo joining this season. Adjustments will always be made to counter whatever else is taking place. You have to remember the club came back from Serie B and had to reestablish themselves, the restructure of the club and the new stadium has put the club in the best position it's probably ever been in. As for Ramsey, we're also saving on agent fees. His contract is fine once you factor in we haven't had to deal with Arsenal directly etc. He also adds some much needed creativity and goals from midfield. If he can stay fit, he could turn out to be a rather good signing overall. 

10 hours ago, East Lower said:

Problem for clubs paying these 'no transfer fee' wages is that the inflated figure becomes the yardstick for others and the politics of envy commence. What happens in the Summer when clubs come calling for Dybala, or maybe his agent gets a flavour for a percentage of higher number. 

I personally think that Juventus might be sailing for stormy waters with the massive wage bill they'll have. Ronaldo, now Ramsey on super high money with others probably queuing up behind them.

Fair point; the agents of some of those players would not be doing their jobs if they weren't reading the stories and picking up their phones to arrange meetings with the club. You'd expect Juventus to have planned for that to at least some degree, though. Perhaps a big name player is already on the out and this is the reaction, rather than the other way round.

10 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Won't happen, Juve are very well ran in that regard.

Juve are so well run that none of their players ever looks to the left or right in the dressing room and thinks to themselves 'I fancy a raise'? Seems unlikely, and like something only a devout fan of a club would think about their club. I doubt signing Ramsey will see Juventus descend into chaos, but that wage will surely raise a few eyebrows among the more successful and decorated players in that dressing room.

I suppose though that my overall point is that Chelsea fans (and I expect managers) need to sometimes be a bit more humble about what players we can and cannot be expected to sign when a good but not great 28 year old with no league titles to his name can have his pick of clubs offering £400k.

Edited by thevelourfog

Bison   
11 hours ago, Leo91 said:

Bruno Fernandes is doing very well at Sporting this season. Possible CM option if our scouts are doing their job. 

Our scouts are busy watching Bournemouth.

11 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Huge amount, but worth keeping in mind the lack of fee. He's basically getting paid a slightly increased wage with what would have otherwise gone to Arsenal on top. 

Goes to show though why Chelsea fans should think carefully when bemoaning transfers. 

True. What makes this even more depressing is buying rubbish players that no other top clubs want (Drinkwater, Zappacosta etc) and paying them stupid wages all whilst not using our own, capable academy players.

Jasonb   
1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I suppose though that my overall point is that Chelsea fans (and I expect managers) need to sometimes be a bit more humble about what players we can and cannot be expected to sign when a good but not great 28 year old with no league titles to his name can have his pick of clubs offering £400k.

Reminds me of Gudjohnsen going to Barcelona in earlier time.

Edited by Jasonb

1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

Reminds me of Gudjohnsen going to Barcelona in earlier time.

Eidur was a top, top player Jason, don't you think.

I think Ramsey is a good player, but not as good as Eidur, who was one of our best I'd say.

52 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Eidur was a top, top player Jason, don't you think.

I think Ramsey is a good player, but not as good as Eidur, who was one of our best I'd say.

Eidur was absolutely wonderful , Ramsey is OK but nowhere near as good , I agree.

8 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

That hasn't impacted the how the club has been ran though, nor will it likely do so in the future. 

I’d disagree with that. Giving Aaron Ramsey £400k/week will most definitely impact Juve. It’s a mad, mad decision on their behalf. 

he's nowhere near worth that money and it can only create ripple effects throughout the squad. They’re also stuck with a player they can’t get rid off should this move not be a success. 

Huge gamble imo. Happy it wasn’t us who took it.