• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

2 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Why on Earth would he come here?

Good question. A few bad results and the knives are out. Why would anyone come here? 

I expect for the salary and the guaranteed early pay-off. But it would be a silly move for an up-and-coming manager with options. But heaven for a manager at the end of his career. No real career prospects that can be harmed. 

So with that logic Lamps would be mad to come here, ditto Zidane. Probably why Pep said no. 

17 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

''Pressure, what pressure..''

Exactly Leo.

Ham   
3 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Good question. A few bad results and the knives are out.

It's more than that and you know it. 

It's not just the results but the performances for a number of months.

Jorginho got found out long ago. The rest is history. 

We've struggled against teams who park the bus because we can't break them down and we've struggled against teams that go for it because we can't defend with the current setup. 

What is unacceptable is that Sarri has done the square root of f-all to change the status quo leading up to and during games. 

I wish it was just a few bad results.  I could deal with that. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

It's more than that and you know it. 

It's not just the results but the performances for a number of months.

Jorginho got found out long ago. The rest is history. 

We've struggled against teams who park the bus because we can't break them down and we've struggled against teams that go for it because we can't defend with the current setup. 

What is unacceptable is that Sarri has done the square root of f-all to change the status quo leading up to and during games. 

I wish it was just a few bad results.  I could deal with that. 

Agreed. I would have been prepared to 'give him time' in spite of the odd bad result here and there if I could see some sort of progress or some sort of flexibility. However, when a team is losing I expect the manager to make some changes beyond just the predictable like-for-like swaps we've seen since the start of the season. There were a few rare times when both Morata and Giroud were in the match-day squad, but it was always one coming off for the other. What was wrong with trying both together for the last 10 minutes in a game we were chasing? Why is it only ever Kovacic for Barkley or Barkley for Kovacic? Willian for Pedro or Pedro for Willian? One centre forward for another centre forward?

If the players, as Sarri has claimed, haven't yet adapted to his 'system' after 6/7 months, will they ever? In which case, with results going they way they are, modify the system a bit to one that better suits the skill-sets of those here, then (with CL hopefully gained) start a proper rebuild in the summer.

The way we are going, we won't make top four and tougher opponents than Malmo will quickly see us out of the Europa League. Rebuilding in the summer will be that little bit harder. The 'blip' of not qualifying for the CL is now beginning to look like standard practice.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

The way we are going, we won't make top four and tougher opponents than Malmo will quickly see us out of the Europa League. Rebuilding in the summer will be that little bit harder. The 'blip' of not qualifying for the CL is now beginning to look like standard practice.

Since the 2011--12 season we have only qualified for the CL by league position 4 times in the 8 seasons and ony finished in the top two twice. Where one of those occassions were when we did a Liverpool but lasted the whole distance (no european football, only having a run in the FA Cup).

We are a 4-6th placed team in the PL right now - that's our standard. Even that is tough with this team winding down not to mention the re-build we did over the last two seasons having ended in a minor disaster. 

I think this is worth thinking about - we are a far cry from a nailed on top 4 team. 

22 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I think this is worth thinking about - we are a far cry from a nailed on top 4 team. 

Absolutely but we won't achieve anything with a few short term transfers or a new manager.  10 pickable players, which means buying 15 and filtering.  3 years minimum.  Get used to it early.

Rob B   

The decision to sell Fabregas (or rather the lack of playing time leading to him wanting to leave) is looking more and more disastrous every game we play 

kratos   
21 minutes ago, Rob B said:

The decision to sell Fabregas (or rather the lack of playing time leading to him wanting to leave) is looking more and more disastrous every game we play 

Really looking like an inspired piece of business. Now the only guy who can ping a ball about is Luiz.

54 minutes ago, Rob B said:

W2D1 in last 3 games, with a goal for our midfielder.  Up 3 places to 16th, and out of the relegation places. 

I'd certainly understand any demand to have brought on Fabregas last night to "try something different".  But surely all our 30+ players are out on offer to anyone who wants them.