• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Holymoly   
1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I like your positivity here and what you're saying makes a lot of sense, however I just don't believe we have the set up or footballing knowledge inside the club to make this happen.

I don't think that expertise exists in the Premier League. Germany seems to be the leaders in this sort of approach. Maybe someone should give Ballack a call and ask if he can recommend someone.

kratos   
36 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

And just what "quality" players are we talking about here? "Quality" players under contract will cost a fortune whereas those not under contract will be so for a reason. We've not really a sparkling track record on signing "quality" at a sensible price. Kante is the last one that springs to mind. Usually we just piss good money down the drain on rubbish.

That I agree with, our record in the last 4 windows has been poor to say the least,.

Who ever scouted some of these players needs their head looked at because we have seriously flushed millions away down the drain. 

Why would this summer be any different?

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

The loan restrictions only apply to over 21s. 

Will still heavily impact us given how many of our current loan crop are 21+. 

jones   
2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Will still heavily impact us given how many of our current loan crop are 21+. 

Yeah, but I am not sure it would be a bad thing for us to start selling them off. And the loan army strategy has gradually been stepped down in the last couple of years, and died effectively with Emenalo's exit. We have basically stopped buying Atsus and Hectors. The older loanees like Omeruo, Kalas and Pasalic are just "old fun" we are trying to maximize the value of before selling them off. And of course the poor investments like Bakayoko and Morata, but they can both be considered sold.

Batshuayi (30m), Bakayoko (35m), Kenedy (15m), Zouma (20m) - prices of course a bit hypothetical, but I would not be surprised if we got 100m for the quartet. Absolutely pointless to keep hold of assets with that kind of value, when we need to spend big money this summer. 

Kalas, Pasalic, Miazga, Omeruo, Hector, Pantic, Nathan. All find themselves in the dark side of the loan army strategy, and will all have cost us money. Unless we believe their market value can suddenly increase massively, we should liquidate quicker than you can say Baba Rahman and Marco van Ginkel - who even if they were bought for the first team, find themselves in the same category. Should have been sold years ago.

We should continue loaning academy players, and that will always be hit and miss, but we could do with a better strategy. Something that is easier when you have fewer players and a more homogeneous group to focus on. 

kratos   
40 minutes ago, jones said:

Yeah, but I am not sure it would be a bad thing for us to start selling them off. And the loan army strategy has gradually been stepped down in the last couple of years, and died effectively with Emenalo's exit. We have basically stopped buying Atsus and Hectors. The older loanees like Omeruo, Kalas and Pasalic are just "old fun" we are trying to maximize the value of before selling them off. And of course the poor investments like Bakayoko and Morata, but they can both be considered sold.

Batshuayi (30m), Bakayoko (35m), Kenedy (15m), Zouma (20m) - prices of course a bit hypothetical, but I would not be surprised if we got 100m for the quartet. Absolutely pointless to keep hold of assets with that kind of value, when we need to spend big money this summer. 

Kalas, Pasalic, Miazga, Omeruo, Hector, Pantic, Nathan. All find themselves in the dark side of the loan army strategy, and will all have cost us money. Unless we believe their market value can suddenly increase massively, we should liquidate quicker than you can say Baba Rahman and Marco van Ginkel - who even if they were bought for the first team, find themselves in the same category. Should have been sold years ago.

We should continue loaning academy players, and that will always be hit and miss, but we could do with a better strategy. Something that is easier when you have fewer players and a more homogeneous group to focus on. 

Looking at all those names it's actually sickening.

I'm all for loaning young players so they can gain experience in a competitive environment and make them ready to play for you or allow them to go permanently to another club so they can have a decent career.

But the likes of Piazon, Kalas and Omeruo have known nothing but loan after loan and now they are in their in mid twenties with no idea what direction their careers are going in.

Bats and Kurt could have given us more depth in the squad but the last two managers have seen no use for either of them so why not just sell them out right rather than just letting their contracts run down? 

We have done this before with the likes of Crespo and Veron, I didn't agree with it then and I certainly don't agree with now.

Leo91   

Said this before regarding Kalas but no one held a gun to these players heads to sign contract extensions after their 4th loan deal. 

7 minutes ago, kratos said:

We have done this before with the likes of Crespo and Veron, I didn't agree with it then and I certainly don't agree with now.

Veron was just rubbish - a mistake by Man u and then by us.  Not much point in keeping him.
Crespo on the other hand was a generous act by RA when his house got burgled by guys with knives and his wife was caught up with it.  She wanted out of London, and you have to feel sympathy all around.

I do agree we should be less generous with the contracts at 21+, and more willing to sell players at lower prices.  But there is always a downside.  We might well have sold Baka for £10m based on form last season, but now he looks like being worth say £20 after the loan.  At least hanging on for a full offer does occasionally mean we get a full offer.  And if we stopped offering such high wages to nearly first team players like RLC or McEachran we could easily find ourselves losing the one that actually makes it.  

However you play it, there will always be errors.

Ham   

I'm torn on Bakayoko.  I wonder whether there really is a player in there based upon his performances for Milan.

He certainly looked the real deal for the first 6 weeks or so with us but then his confidence got shot to pieces. 

I'd be tempted to give him another go in the squad although I'm not sure he'd actually want to come back.