• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, jones said:

Still seems unclear whether we can prolong Higuain or Kovacic’ loan deals under the potential transfer ban? 

I think the rules limit us to registrering new players, and if we want to we are actually allowed to buy players (and either loan them out or not play them). The question is, by definition is Higuain and Kovacic already registered or will their registration expire once their loan deals expire? Higuain is an even more special case since we have the option to extend his deal or buy him, and I have seen reported that there even is a compulsory loan extension dependant on matches/goals targets being met. How does this come in to play? Is there a difference between taking up the option to extend Giroud’s contract and taking up the option to extend Higuain’s loan?

Anyone with more insight than me that can shed som light on this crazy situation?

As long as we can keep Higuain and we decide to continue with Sarri, I am not that concerned. Mire chances given to CHO, RLC, Mount, James and Tammy makes me quite enthusiastic.

Higuain is registered with Juventus, and Kovacic with Real Madrid. We would not be able to 'roll on' as it were their loans. Same way James, Abraham, Mount etc. are registered Chelsea FC players and could come back with no issues. 

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Higuain is registered with Juventus, and Kovacic with Real Madrid. We would not be able to 'roll on' as it were their loans. Same way James, Abraham, Mount etc. are registered Chelsea FC players and could come back with no issues. 

Leaving us 2 CMs short, and just one front 3 player in his 20s.

I guess Drinkwater returns, though in what form and willingness to play, who knows.  
Tammy returns and Pulsilic arrives, though both are still young.

We'll have just one front 3 starter and half a dozen I'd be happy with on the bench.  
And that assumes Hazard signs a long term contract.  If not we are torn between taking a big fee for him this summer (and leaving us with no front 3 starter) or letting him go for free a year on.  

A Summer 2019 ban completely screws us.

Jasonb   

I think we will still have Higuaín as he signed on a 18 month deal though expect Kovacic will need to return.

17 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I think we will still have Higuaín as he signed on a 18 month deal though expect Kovacic will need to return.

Yeah, that's my understanding too.

If the transfer ban does indeed kick in this summer, it leaves us with this as our likely squad for next season (I'm obviously making some assumptions on players sold/released/new contracts offered):

GK1: Kepa
GK2: Caballero
GK3: Green

RB1: Azpilicueta
RB2: James

CB1: Rudiger
CB2: Christensen
CB3: Luiz
CB4: Ampadu

LB: Emerson
LB: Alonso

CMR1: Kante
CMR2: Mount

CMC1: Jorginho
CMC2: Drinkwater/Bakayoko/Drinkwater

CML1: RLC
CML2: Barkley

RW1: Pulisic
RW2: Pedro
RW3: Willian

LW1: Hazard
LW2: CHO

STK1: Higuain
STK2: Tammy
STK3: Giroud/Batshuayi

GK and Defenders don't worry me too much - a lot will depend on Luiz managing to stay at a high enough level for another season or Christensen stepping up and taking a place for himself in the team. CM is a massive concern, the starting 3 is fine, but beyond that, it's massively questionable. Wingers are ok, but Pedro and Willian on the wrong side of 30 and form has been more than questionable at times this season. Strikers look pretty weak too. It's not a squad that could fight for PL and CL IMO.

If the ban comes in we have to do everything we can to get Hazard and CHO to sign new contracts, but we'll be in a very weak position.

Ban comes in and it doesn't look good.

1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/1/23/gonzalo-higuain-completes-loan-transfer-to-chelsea

No mention of it when the deal was officially announced. Of course there are possibly, even likely, clauses not made public in the deal, but we'd be taking a leap of faith to assert Higuain a) signed a deal with us and Juventus that easily extends for 12 months and b) any such deal would represent a 'rolling' rather than new registration. Safest to assume he can't stay with the ban in place, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

A summer 2019 ban completely screws us.

Yep. And from the little I've seen, we can expect it to be in place for the summer. The process seems to be no appeal can be made to CAS until the FIFA appeal has run its course. From what I understand (and hands up, it's limited on this), there is no statutory timescale for FIFA to complete the appeal, and it's usually taken 6 to 8 months. 

I think FIFA have killed us, unless there are more civil-type legal recourses we can take sooner. 

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Yep. And from the little I've seen, we can expect it to be in place for the summer. The process seems to be no appeal can be made to CAS until the FIFA appeal has run its course. From what I understand (and hands up, it's limited on this), there is no statutory timescale for FIFA to complete the appeal, and it's usually taken 6 to 8 months. 

I think FIFA have killed us, unless there are more civil-type legal recourses we can take sooner. 

Well I suppose the FA could still register players for us and ignore/interpret differently the FIFA rules again!

More seriously we have applied to CAS for an urgent decision to delay the ban (independently of reviewing the decision).  I imagine CAS can do that, in fact I imagine they will.  Especially given the presumption that the FA will support us.

I wonder if the 'registration' of players is actually for a set period or linked to the length of contract, or more specifically in the case of loan players. 

As a crude example if you buy a car you register it in your name and the unregister it when you dispose of it. You don't register it for any finite period. Otherwise any player renewing their contract could have to be re-registered too (there may be some mechanism with regards to non EU players who require a work permit)

Possibly Higuain and Kovacic are registered with us, albeit on loan, until we say otherwise.

I'm sure I read Kovacic was on a season loan - so he's going but Higuain was on an eighteen months loan -so he will be staying .

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well I suppose the FA could still register players for us and ignore/interpret differently the FIFA rules again!

More seriously we have applied to CAS for an urgent decision to delay the ban (independently of reviewing the decision).  I imagine CAS can do that, in fact I imagine they will.  Especially given the presumption that the FA will support us.

I haven't seen anything online anywhere about us already communicating with CAS; the official statement is that we're waiting for FIFA to provide their written rationale, and all other online chat is about not having recourse to talk to CAS until the FIFA process has been followed. Would be delighted to be wrong; where have you got the CAS contact info from? Is it more the case that you reckon that is what we've done? I can imagine informal conversations took place very quickly indeed. 

On 09/03/2019 at 6:58 AM, My Blood Is Blue said:

I don't see how FIFA can't suspend the ban until the hearings have taken place, how can that possibly be fair? Let's say we're banned from signing players in this summers window and then we're found to be innocent, what happens then? Do they open a special window just for us? Give us some money for loss of earnings due to us having a weaker squad because we couldn't sign players? Surely CAS will suspend any punishment until the hearing? I actually wouldn't be too shocked if they threw the whole thing out based on this decision by FIFA.

As I understood it, FIFA expect the hearing to take place BEFORE the summer window opens. If found guilty, the ban starts with immediate effect (subject to us appealing via CAS).