Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Martin1905 said:

Drinkwater, Bakayoko and Morata will be like new signings 

Batshuyai, Abraham, Zouma, Kenedy.......the list goes on 

Sciatika   
3 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Why would Hazard be less likely to go? If anything, he's more likely to leave now more than ever. With Zidane returning to Real Madrid, Hazard entering the final year of his contract and our club facing a transfer ban. Where's the incentive for him to stay? We're not even an attractive option from a competitive stand point either like we once were. 

We either sell him this summer and get whatever transfer fee we can from him, or we keep a hold of him out of pure stubbiness and watch him sign a contact with Real Madrid for free. Can you imagine the flak the club would cope if we let our most prized asset literally walk out the door for nothing? 

I agree those things are a possibility but we currently hold his registration. So, the question is whether the club sees more benefit in selling for a sum of money that cannot be used to replace him and feel the loss of his skills next season or do you take the hit later and lose him for nothing but have had his skills over the next season. There are other factors such as the possibility that his potential loss would unsettle the squad and that kind of thing. Would the club get more flak from selling him when we have a transfer ban and so can't buy anyone to replace him or sell him later when we can? 

Edited by Sciatika

We're potentially going to have quite a mess on our hands. Players who don't want to be here, players that don't feel like they're wanted and top young talent warming the bench waiting for 5 mins every 4 games or so.

We better get used to those Thursday nights...

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I agree those things are a possibility but we currently hold his registration. So, the question is whether the club sees more benefit in selling for a sum of money that cannot be used to replace him and feel the loss of his skills next season or do you take the hit later and lose him for nothing but have had his skills over the next season. There are other factors such as the possibility that his potential loss would unsettle the squad and that kind of thing. Would the club get more flak from selling him when we have a transfer ban and so can't buy anyone to replace him or sell him later when we can? 

Our best hope is to get him to extend by a year or so, with a release clause after a year. So  he'd be free to join RM next summer, but he wouldn't be joining as a free agent so we'd get a decent fee. Of course by then he'll be close to 30 so a) RM would be less interested in him and b) his value would have declined further. But it would still be a better outcome for us as we'd hang on to him until we can sign a replacement.

We've shown in the past that we don't stand in their way if a player who has given us many years of loyal service wants to move on, like Cech or Ivan. CHO is being treated differently, but I'm glad he is.

17 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Our best hope is to get him to extend by a year or so, with a release clause after a year. So  he'd be free to join RM next summer, but he wouldn't be joining as a free agent so we'd get a decent fee. Of course by then he'll be close to 30 so a) RM would be less interested in him and b) his value would have declined further. But it would still be a better outcome for us as we'd hang on to him until we can sign a replacement.

We've shown in the past that we don't stand in their way if a player who has given us many years of loyal service wants to move on, like Cech or Ivan. CHO is being treated differently, but I'm glad he is.

Sounds a bit silly to me - hey Eden, sign here so we can get £50 or £100m out of RM, and they'll be less from them for you.

To be fair to the club, I think CHO has had more time in his last 6 months than Ivan got.  Ivanovic (and Mikel and a few others) got shafted by Conte, and I should think the club were too embarrassed to ask for much of a fee for him.

6 hours ago, Vinod said:

It's a terrible quartet.

Terrible? Compared to what? Neymar, Mbappe, Ronaldo and Hazard? Sure, they aren’t the best in the world on paper but I think they’d fit what we want to do better than Hazard. 

I think Hazard has been downright average apart for a few weeks at the beginning of the season. 

6 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

4 great or potentially great player, 4 great names.  None of them great in 2019/20 or 20/21.  Not even as 2nd, 3rd or 4th place to Hazard.

I have long been a great cheerleader of Pedro and Willian.  We have had some wonderful years out of them.  But if we are rebuilding, we are rebuilding for 2021+, and they will be 33 and 34 then.  I agree Striker is equally a problem. But Conte did at least buy 3 strikers, if none as good as Costa.  I can forgive try and fail, but Pulsilic is the first AM we have bought since Pedro.

If we replace him with 3 decent AMs in their 20s, I'm fine with that.  IF.

I think don’t think you’re doing Pedro justice. Lately clearly our best player. 

He fits this style of play perfectly. I’d hold on to him for at least another two seasons. 

6 hours ago, Leo91 said:

I'm not going to kick Pedro or Willian out of the door. They are great options to have in the squad. Pedro as a 3rd striker and 2nd winger. Willian in the big games against the top sides playing on the counter where he has space to run into still has a place imo.

But I don't feel confident they're the players (together with Odoi) to push us onto the next level. Pulisic from the little I have seen has great potential. I struggle to think of already finished products that can slot into our side and hit the ground running. It's more about looking for the right qualities and nurturing it with the manager. Finding CM's, AM's and wide men who already play two touch passing football and have shown to play a high press game. The scouts need a brief from Sarri and they need to go out and find those players.

Slightly confused where we stand with the ban now. Do we go to CAS now to ensure we can do business in the summer.

That’s what I mean - I think Pedro and Pulisic (and Hudson-Odoi) are more suited to play a high-press two-tough type of football compared to Hazard. Of course Hazard is the better player but he likes being on the ball too much which essentially makes us even easier to read. Speed and direct movement in a group causes more opportunities and space. 

I reckon we’ll be a better unit without Eden under Sarri. Plus I’m so freaking tired of hearing about him considering his future. At least five seasons now non-stop. Enough already! 

If Hazard has been average you’ll have to invent new words to describe what Willian and (to a lesser extent) Pedro have been this season. 

The idea that we are a better team without Hazard is pure delusion. 

36 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I think don’t think you’re doing Pedro justice. Lately clearly our best player. 

He fits this style of play perfectly. I’d hold on to him for at least another two seasons. 

I have no problem with picking him.  I just don't think you plan your team around a 32 yo AM.  Keep him and play him as often as he is able to be better than the alternatives, sure.  But he isn't part of the rebuilding.

And yes you are right, Willian and Pedro fit the rapid passing that Sarri wants better than Hazard.  But I have written off this season and the next two, all I want is CL next year and a proper team by 2021.   

Still, the good news is at least we won't have to play Madrid and Hazard until long after he retires .