• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Still, the good news is at least we won't have to play Madrid and Hazard until long after he retires .

:)  Dunno - they could get knocked out at the group stages the way things are going there.

24 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

:)  Dunno - they could get knocked out at the group stages the way things are going there.

True.

On 14/02/2019 at 4:15 PM, Backbiter said:

Eidur played up front that game and combined brilliantly with JFH. I seem to remember Lamps scored his first goal for us - a a nice 20 yarder. Back then most of us were thinking he was a decent signing, maybe a bit overpriced..... 

Give it a few millenia and we will we saying the same about out current Regista. . .  possibly

xCELERYx   
10 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I agree those things are a possibility but we currently hold his registration. So, the question is whether the club sees more benefit in selling for a sum of money that cannot be used to replace him and feel the loss of his skills next season or do you take the hit later and lose him for nothing but have had his skills over the next season. There are other factors such as the possibility that his potential loss would unsettle the squad and that kind of thing. Would the club get more flak from selling him when we have a transfer ban and so can't buy anyone to replace him or sell him later when we can? 

You don't let 100m+ walk out the door for nothing unless you're absolutely daft - which given the way the club is run currently I wouldn't be shocked if it were to happen. We have to take the money though, even if it can't be used to immediately replace Hazard, it can be used in the future to obtain a decent option that can take us forward once the ban is over. 

If the ban sticks this summer I'd be gutting the squad now and suck up a true transition phase utilising as much of the young quality we have in our ranks. Giving them a full season of true senior PL football is going to help us weed out those who aren't going to cut it long term, but may also help us work out who can actually be contributing parts to the club moving forward. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

You don't let 100m+ walk out the door for nothing unless you're absolutely daft - which given the way the club is run currently I wouldn't be shocked if it were to happen.

Seems to me the club is recovering well after an unpleasant two years when it hired an egomaniac.  The club has been left a stack of problems to deal with.

5 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

If the ban sticks this summer I'd be gutting the squad now and suck up a true transition phase utilising as much of the young quality we have in our ranks

Nuts.  Plenty to gut, but very little young quality to bring in.  We brought back the great future hero, RLC, and he is barely noticeable in the current squad.  I love Tammy, but is he an improvement on Giroud or Higuain.  There are two or three who could be reasonable back up defender but sub-Christensen and not an area we urgently need to improve on.  Or one can claim that Mount would be ahead of RLC and pray.  

kev61   

We could get rid of Barkley and Jorginho and not miss a beat - in fact it would be a boost.The Jorginho question fascinates me - he is absolutely useless in any role - he sticks out like a sore thumb as a pedestrian waste of space and for that reason I have to question what in God's name Sarri is thinking.

Luiz would be a better player than Jorghino in the 'fulcrum' position - he is a better passer and more aggressive than a wet lettuce that is Jorginho.

In fairness Sarri is making changes but you have to wonder is he sticking pins in selections that some people will do in the hope they will get a winner in the Cheltenham festival.

kev61   

I heard Gary Neville say Lukaku was a different player because Rashford was playing along side him(and the fact lukaku has lost an inch off his backside)Pedro sniffing about the centre forward position is like playing two up front.We need Pedro feeding off the centre forward otherwise he gets lost - so I would play Giroud  and Pedro up front.

7 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

You don't let 100m+ walk out the door for nothing unless you're absolutely daft ...

Thing is though, we're struggling for CL qualification with Hazard and having been able to buy players. How much might it cost to try and qualify for the CL without either him or adequate replacement? Seems to me you're letting a hell of a lot of money walk out the door either way.

I've read here a few people confidently assert the transfer ban makes it more likely he's off, and others as confidently say the opposite. My view is that it makes no real difference. If Real have made a solid move for him, then he's probably already gone. 

jones   
On 12.3.2019 at 0:09 AM, Droy was my hero said:

I can't imagine that happening at all.  They are only in a play off place now because Bristol city a point behind have a game in hand.  You can get 7/2 with Betfair now that they will finish 6th or above (playoff +)

They may be 6th now (and 6th last year) but there is a chasing group of 8 clubs 6 or less points behind them, and you can bet they all fancy the chance of a playoff and a freak entry to the Prem.

Love them both, but they'll struggle to keep the Derby job.

Solskjær struggled to keep the Molde job.

jones   
7 hours ago, kev61 said:

We could get rid of Barkley and Jorginho and not miss a beat - in fact it would be a boost.The Jorginho question fascinates me - he is absolutely useless in any role - he sticks out like a sore thumb as a pedestrian waste of space and for that reason I have to question what in God's name Sarri is thinking.

Luiz would be a better player than Jorghino in the 'fulcrum' position - he is a better passer and more aggressive than a wet lettuce that is Jorginho.

In fairness Sarri is making changes but you have to wonder is he sticking pins in selections that some people will do in the hope they will get a winner in the Cheltenham festival.

Harsh. Jorginho is a one trick pony, a one touch passer and probably one of the best in the world at exactly that. For Sarri to play like he (only) wants to, he needs exactly that in that position. Sarri needs Jorginho, Jorginho needs Sarri. Without each other they won’t work. The problem is that even now, after 8 months together, the project does not seem to be working. It is not because Sarri’s tactics are «wrong» or because Jorginho is a bad player. It is because other teams too easily break down our tactics. Which most likely is a mix of Sarri not being adaptable enough and him not being efficient enough managing and motivating his players to do what he wants.

Unless a fantastic end to the season, Sarri will be sacked and any new manager will consider Jorginho surplus.

I hope we ditch this possession based football dream, and try to go back to what made us successful and feared. We need people at the club (managers and players first and foremost) representing and believing in the values and philosophy of Chelsea 2004-2012. Lampard the best option out there to come here and build something long-term. Academy needs to be used and patience needed at the top.