• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Recommended Posts

If the club sacks Sarri, I would have to say it’s going to make supporting these guys very difficult indeed. 

When Kenyon was spearheading things I didn’t like him, but I definitely could respect what he was after and how he went about things. 

I’ve just got no respect for these guys if Sarri is shown the door. I mean, third place and 2 finals - but the squad is unhappy and they find training monotonous? Seriously?! Half the squad needs to move on anyway but, more importantly, half these idiots who landed us in a transfer ban have to be shown the door as well.

Even if we fire him and get Allegri or Simeone - it’s just back to square one, isn’t it?

The players who broke through are going to have to prove themselves over all over again. The players brought in like Jorginho will become surplus to requirements, the squad will need to be reassessed all over again... It’ll just be such a disgusting mess..

I can’t see why any manager would come here if we get rid of Sarri, and no player in their right mind would come here either. We would essentially be the LA Lakers of the premier league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kezza   
55 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Even if we fire him and get Allegri or Simeone - it’s just back to square one, isn’t it?

And repeat and rinse again after 1 or 2 years. Sarri has got a good philosophy or at least one that the club and fans have been wanting to see. We should stick with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueFizz   
5 hours ago, Kezza said:

And repeat and rinse again after 1 or 2 years. Sarri has got a good philosophy or at least one that the club and fans have been wanting to see. We should stick with him.

I agree. 

A lot of the complaints seem to be based on the idea that the worst we played this season (slow, square etc) was the way Sarri wants us to play. Hence ‘uck Sarriball!’

This is so clearly not the case - he needs time and support to build on the good start he’s made.

If he’s sacked it’s to satisfy some of our fans’ insatiable appetite for the thrill of the new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kezza   
8 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

I agree. 

A lot of the complaints seem to be based on the idea that the worst we played this season (slow, square etc) was the way Sarri wants us to play. Hence ‘uck Sarriball!’

This is so clearly not the case - he needs time and support to build on the good start he’s made.

If he’s sacked it’s to satisfy some of our fans’ insatiable appetite for the thrill of the new.

I must say that a lot of the slow and square is down to the likes of Alonso, Cesar, Hazard, Kovacic and Willian. To a certain extent Kante. These players don't play the ball forward and into space quickly enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kezza said:

I must say that a lot of the slow and square is down to the likes of Alonso, Cesar, Hazard, Kovacic and Willian. To a certain extent Kante. These players don't play the ball forward and into space quickly enough.

A lot of the frustrations were that if you don't have the players to fit the system then change up the system a bit or give other players a go. At present most of the players you mentioned will probably play a majority of our games next season so something is going to have to change if we wish to progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Kezza said:

I must say that a lot of the slow and square is down to the likes of Alonso, Cesar, Hazard, Kovacic and Willian. To a certain extent Kante. These players don't play the ball forward and into space quickly enough.

For me the sticking point is mostly Kovacic or Barkley with some coming from Hazard.  They all want 3 touches to look up and around, with nothing happening afterwards from the first two.
The big plus of RLC is that he keeps moving the ball on, mostly first touch.  So does Kante though that is more an unwillingness to take control than speed things up - but that works too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kezza said:

I must say that a lot of the slow and square is down to the likes of Alonso, Cesar, Hazard, Kovacic and Willian. To a certain extent Kante. These players don't play the ball forward and into space quickly enough.

But if these players are the core part of your squad then you have to be pragmatic and change. As a coach you have to find a system that fits your players until you have enough to players to play your preffered system. Otherwise as a team your become very predictable and not very good at what you are attempting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
8 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

A lot of the frustrations were that if you don't have the players to fit the system then change up the system a bit or give other players a go. At present most of the players you mentioned will probably play a majority of our games next season so something is going to have to change if we wish to progress.

 

4 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

But if these players are the core part of your squad then you have to be pragmatic and change. As a coach you have to find a system that fits your players until you have enough to players to play your preffered system. Otherwise as a team your become very predictable and not very good at what you are attempting. 

Two excellent posts and exactly why Sarri has people being critical of him. 

It's the one-dimensional approach and unwillingness to adapt his philosophy to make more appropriate and efficient use of the tools on hand. It's the lack of imagination when it comes to substitutions, rotation, adjustments and in-game management and general man management skills. Everything has a predictable nature to it, which then makes us a predicable side on the pitch. That for the last 5 months of the season we performed like a mid-table side with some of the most pedestrian and unimaginative football witnessed. It's only thanks to the calmative nature of performances dished out by those other sides also vying for a top four finish did we secure Champions League football. Even our efforts in the Europa League have been nothing special - with a large part owing to a fixture list that couldn't have been any more easier and favourable, even if we assembled it ourselves.

Sarri himself hasn't really done much to influence any sort of real improvement or progression. Sure, if he had more suitable players, possibly a pre-season, there may be improvements. Although, the addition of those things won't really change his approach to the game per say. He had all these things with Napoli and other areas of his management were still highly questioned at times. Where the biggest change needs to come is in how he approaches management. He can't just continue to down the same predictable path and has to make better use of his squad, improve his man management skills, his tactical flexibility, etc. Otherwise he'll continue to be heavily scrutinised even if the football aesthetic improves and is more palatable next season, because I cannot see that being enough to keep enough people satisfied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

A lot of the frustrations were that if you don't have the players to fit the system then change up the system a bit or give other players a go. At present most of the players you mentioned will probably play a majority of our games next season so something is going to have to change if we wish to progress.

If most of the players are going to be staying for next year, then that can only strengthen Sarri’s case. Afterall, this guy got this squad into the top 4 and made 2 finals. 

This isn’t Antonio Conte’s Chelsea supposedly dropping like a rock because of fatigue from competing in European competition. This is a Chelsea squad that’s been playing in Europe and went deep in the Carabao Cup too and STILL held it together in the league. 

The major determinant of “progression” is going to involve the transfer market and we still don’t know if that’s going to be available to us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Juan Mata is available on a free, and if we can sign players, I hope that the club would capitalize on bringing him back.

Intelligent player, moves off the ball, technically gifted, proven in this league - would be an ideal player to rotate in and out of games. Could be good value for money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now