• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Sarri can only beat the teams he has played 

Quite, and its not exactly his fault we are in the Europa league. 

can't believe anyone is still banging the 'we only came 3rd because everyone else was rubbish' argument. It's one of the silliest things I have ever heard on here and there has been some really silly things said.

Over a 38 game season the league table will never lie. Its not about the second half or the run in or whatever period suits your argument, it's about the entire season. That's why the league is so hard to win and the only true reflection of how good each team is. It's why we have a league table.

We were the 3rd best team in the league, over 38 games this season. It's quite simple. Maybe we didn't play the 3rd best football but over the course of the season we accumulated the 3rd highest amount of points, hence us finishing where we did. This really shouldn't be so difficult to understand. 

Now you can argue all you like about the style of football, that will come down to opinions. My opinion is it was pretty dire at times, very good at others but a million  times better than last season. What you can not possibly argue is that we were the 3rd best team in the country this season. It's a simple fact. Say as much as you like about the others not being good enough, it's fairly obvious as they finished behind us, but you could quite easily flip the argument around and say we finished above them as we were better than them, which we quite clearly were.

This arguement will soon be forgotten much like those claiming Kante had been played out of position or that Jorginho is useless. Dislike the style of football as much as you like, that can be debated all day long but at least it will be debatable.  Spouting nonsense is just that,  no matter how many times you say it, it will not become true if it isn't. Facts are facts, unfortunately for some it seems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

He'll certainly feel at home alongside Willian, Giroud, Higuain and Pedro - they are all 31 or 32.  If Hazard goes, the next oldest is Pulisic, 20.  So much for pressing.  I wonder what the secret of the gegenpress at liverpool or City is.

As an option for rotation though, would you sign him?

Willian may be off to Barca if they bid again this summer (pure speculation), and Pedro seems like still a pretty decent squad option to keep around. Hazard may also be gone. 

Pulisic, Pedro, Mata, Hudson-Odoi as options could be pretty decent. Obviously it's not mind blowing like anything City or Liverpool have got but then we have to also think about it from an economic point of view.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

of course, take it to extremes, but the point being made is that if Sarri is going to be beaten with the "well we won the EL, but we have only beaten rubbish" stick, then the same can apply to Conte 

Sarri can only beat the teams he has played 

We haven't won it yet! Personally if you actually win a trophy then it should never be sniffed at, however 'we got to the final' is not always something to be heralded. For example this seasons Haribo Cup getting to the final should be viewed as a decent achievement because we beat Spurs, Liverpool and ran City very close in the final. Conversely if we lose the EL final then getting to the final shouldn't really be heralded as some amazing achievement given the teams we played on the way, plus Arsenal are not the same quality as City. At the moment getting to the EL final is in Sarri's plus column because we haven't played it yet, if we win it should remain there, if we don't it should be in the meh column.

paulw66   
16 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Willian may be off to Barca if they bid again this summer (pure speculation), and Pedro seems like still a pretty decent squad option to keep around. Hazard may also be gone. 

Pulisic, Pedro, Mata, Hudson-Odoi as options could be pretty decent. Obviously it's not mind blowing like anything City or Liverpool have got but then we have to also think about it from an economic point of view.

We have been in desperate need of younger blood in the attacking areas for the last 2 seasons, and instead, we have signed older forwards.

If there is no ban and Hazard goes, we need at least one young winger, and one young top quality cf. If Pedro or Willian leave with Hazard, we need 2 new wingers. 

9 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I'm all for AM options, but in Willian, CHO, Pulisic and Pedro we have 4 options for the bench already.  Plus 2 CF bench players.
We have 5 nailed down starters plus Hazard (not so nailed down).  We have about 40 other current or recent squad members who could make up the alternatives.
(Morata, Rahman, Bats, Baka, Kenedy is just a taster, but there really are about 40)

The only thing we are sure of is top level performers - and when we have won stuff we have always had 12 or 13.
With one window to find 7 or 8 top players, we can't waste management time on worrying about support players (except how to get them off the books).

Besides we need a whole lot more energy in the press - that requires players aged between 23 & 29. 

BTW Willian is not going to Barca aged 31 at the start of next season.  What would he do?  Be the replacement for Suarez and Messi?  They are just 2 years older and showing less signs of losing their pace than he does?

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Lump Of Celery said:

We haven't won it yet! Personally if you actually win a trophy then it should never be sniffed at, however 'we got to the final' is not always something to be heralded. For example this seasons Haribo Cup getting to the final should be viewed as a decent achievement because we beat Spurs, Liverpool and ran City very close in the final. Conversely if we lose the EL final then getting to the final shouldn't really be heralded as some amazing achievement given the teams we played on the way, plus Arsenal are not the same quality as City. At the moment getting to the EL final is in Sarri's plus column because we haven't played it yet, if we win it should remain there, if we don't it should be in the meh column.

I agree, but if we do win it, I am pre-empting the "we only beat rubbish" comments

29 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I agree, but if we do win it, I am pre-empting the "we only beat rubbish" comments

Then we will get the "we lost to rubbish" arguments.
It is an agenda, not an argument.  The truth is for historians only.

I don't know why you  I bother.

Hey - we got back the old editing menu!!!!  Strikeout font and all.

Thanks someone.  Michael I guess.

32 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Are you suggesting Arsenal aren't rubbish!! Can't knock a trophy earned, as you say can only beat what's in front of you and if you go all the way and win it then fair enough.