• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

29 minutes ago, JaneB said:

So why let him go there?  It sticks in my throat.  Won't be able to watch him in an Arsenal shirt.

A few reasons, and the same old ones as in previous similar situations... That's the offer on the table and can't be rejected in favour of hypothetical preferred deals, and generally we treat departing players as people rather than commodities and let them do what works for their lives. 

This would leave, as far as I can see, only Azpi and Willian as players who played alongside Lampard. And it's feasible neither would have been especially senior or vocal figures at the club at that time, even if just by virtue of learning English. Where I work anyone making the step up from a frontline to a management role has to change teams. That rule developed out of some unfortunate clashes when staff struggled to adapt to accepting the new hierarchy. I wonder how much this might have to do with Luiz leaving (and I'm persuaded it will happen on the balance of things). Neither party has to have done much wrong as such, but perhaps there was a recognition that having one former team mate manage another just wasn't quite going to work. 

To be petty for a second though, £8m is a nonsense fee. I can accept we might want a deal and that Arsenal is the only deal in town, but at least make them work a bit harder for it. 

Edit- if this all happens, I think we can expect a very big window next time we can buy. The decks are very much being cleared when it comes to wages. 

Edited by thevelourfog

JaneB   
2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

A few reasons, and the same old ones as in previous similar situations... That's the offer on the table and can't be rejected in favour of hypothetical preferred deals, and generally we treat departing players as people rather than commodities and let them do what works for their lives. 

This would leave, as far as I can see, only Azpi and Willian as players who played alongside Lampard. And it's feasible neither would have been especially senior or vocal figures at the club at that time, even if just by virtue of learning English. Where I work anyone making the step up from a frontline to a management role has to change teams. That rule developed out of some unfortunate clashes when staff struggled to adapt to accepting the new hierarchy. I wonder how much this might have to do with Luiz leaving (and I'm persuaded it will happen on the balance of things). Neither party has to have done much wrong as such, but perhaps there was a recognition that having one former team mate manage another just wasn't quite going to work. 

To be petty for a second though, £8m is a nonsense fee. I can accept we might want a deal and that Arsenal is the only deal in town, but at least make them work a bit harder for it. 

What about what works for Chelsea?  And we could easily reject an offer if it's not high enough.  Why do we keep doing Arsenal favours and players who are still under contract?  

When Frank arrived I did mention on here about whether there might be problems with any players he had actually played with.  No one seemed to think it would be an issue.  

I know I'm naïve and look at things emotionally blah blah blah but this has knocked me for six.  One of the few players at Chelsea I could 'identify' with.  

1 hour ago, Conte Kante said:

Rudi is currently pencilled in for a late Sept/early Oct return if things go to plan. Are you seriously saying that with the threadbare squad we have, with no leaders and hardly any players in the peak age range you're happy for us to go into the PL season with Zouma, Christensen and Tomori (who has not even played one top minute)? 

Yes. As I said, I’m yet to be convinced Luiz is better than Zouma, Christensen and Rudiger. It’s not like those three haven’t played in the PL and played well. Defensively I think all three are better than Luiz although they aren’t as good on the ball. But a defender is supposed to defend first and foremost. 

Tomori was a revelation in the Championship. He’s hardly a novice with no experience and is what we should aim for in a CB4 - HG and relatively cheap with loads of potential. Having a Cahill at £100k/week I’m that position is just silly. 

The season ends in May. Injuries can happen at any time. Rudiger is on the mend and soon back with the team. I honestly don’t see the drama. 

2 minutes ago, JaneB said:

What about what works for Chelsea?  And we could easily reject an offer if it's not high enough.  Why do we keep doing Arsenal favours and players who are still under contract?  

When Frank arrived I did mention on here about whether there might be problems with any players he had actually played with.  No one seemed to think it would be an issue.  

I know I'm naïve and look at things emotionally blah blah blah but this has knocked me for six.  One of the few players at Chelsea I could 'identify' with.  

I suspect the deal does 'work' for Chelsea though. Our hand isn't exactly being forced here. Very confident we can resist offers from the likes of Arsenal when we want to. If this happens it is because we as a club want it to happen. 

Can't say I saw your comments on Lampard managing ex-team mates. Offering it tentatively as a 'maybe' rather than anything more assertive, but definitely would have agreed with you that it is potentially tricky. 

I like Luiz a lot. I'd also miss him. 

So , eight million eh ? A tenth of a Maguire .

Leo91   

Honestly I wont miss David Luiz for his ability, I believe given a run of games in a settled back 4 Zouma and Christensen and Rudiger will do much better.

But what I'm shocked (Although we dont know the full story as of yet) and hugely gutted about, I thought Luiz was one of our own. On the face of it, to sign a contract extension in May and now in August is forcing himself for a move to Arsenal of all clubs makes me sick. I wouldn't sell him but keep him in with the reserves until a foreign club came in for him or put on loan.

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

So , eight million eh ? A tenth of a Maguire .

Sometimes I feel we are good at spending but not so good at selling. Leicester on the other hand

JaneB   
2 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Honestly I wont miss David Luiz for his ability, I believe given a run of games in a settled back 4 Zouma and Christensen and Rudiger will do much better.

But what I'm shocked (Although we dont know the full story as of yet) and hugely gutted about, I thought Luiz was one of our own. On the face of it, to sign a contract extension in May and now in August is forcing himself for a move to Arsenal of all clubs makes me sick. I wouldn't sell him but keep him in with the reserves until a foreign club came in for him or put on loan.

Precisely

7 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Sometimes I feel we are good at spending but not so good at selling. Leicester on the other hand

And you would have the wrong impression, From the excellent swiss ramble. We are a selling club quite a good one EBRQgBBWkAExY0f.thumb.jpg.beb93c5ee931d61ab423c5aeb2118dd8.jpgEBRQemSX4AA9ZqX.thumb.jpg.0dc0cb36b5c57d38d8b7222285d76dac.jpg

13 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

A year ago he could have gone for a free at least we get a fee even if it is a small one . if things are as they seem, a breakdown with the managment may have occured and keeping him around may be disruptive.

SFL press conference should be interesting on friday.