• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Man City have splashed the big bucks on yet another fullback! £60m+ for Cancelo from Juve. 

Danilo being sold to Juve for a reported £35m. Since Pep took over in summer 2016 he’s spent £180m on fullbacks. That number increases to £290m if you also count central defenders. 

Must be tough for him. 

Ham   
7 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Ah ok thanks for that Pete.

One of the joys of coming on here is to be patronised by you 🙄

It's actually called "mansplaining".

Let me clarify.  That's an amalgamation of "man" and "explaining" and it's when a man insists on explaining something to a woman that she already knows. 

• Haha 1

It’s insane letting Luiz go now. January maybe, but not now with Rudiger still out. What happens when Christensen pulls a hamstring against Utd? Our first choice CB pairing suddenly becomes Zouma and Tomori. That is SO ridiculous, that we are in severe danger of out-Chelseaing ourselves.

55 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

How long ago? You have to accept that that's what sport's all about. The performers have a comparatively short period in the limelight and then they're gone. It's the nature of the beast.

You do it in other sports besides football. You get down in the dumps if Federer doesn't win yet another title at the age of 37. He has to stop sometime and, when he does, you should remember what a player he was rather than bemoan the fact that he can't do it anymore.

The fact is you don't like change. You want things to stay there same forever and ever. Why not instead look forward to the possibility of new heroes coming along to replace the old? It's obviously more realistic.

Pete, just because "that's what sport's all about', doesn't mean that you can't, or shouldn't, miss your favourite players, surely? I still miss Ossie and Chopper, as well as DD,  SPL, and a host of others. Imo, that's what football is all about, and long may it continue. 

3 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

With some of the reactions I've seen you'd think we're selling N'Golo Kante to Arsenal for a tenner. 

That may be because those people care about their players, and don't want them sold off. Luiz has his faults, certainly, but equally he was/is much loved by Chelsea fans.

Blues and Owls discuss Hector move

The Daily Mail reports central defender Michael Hector is in talks over a permanent move to Sheffield Wednesday after an impressive season on loan at Hillsborough last season.

Hector joined the Blues from Reading in 2015 but the Jamaica international has yet to play for Chelsea after spells on loan at Reading, Eintracht Frankfurt, Hull and Wednesday.

However, the 27-year-old looks set to remain with the Owls after an impressive campaign in which he was named the club’s player of the year.

The reports adds Fulham and Bristol City have also expressed interest in Hector, who has one year remaining on his contract at Chelsea.

So, if we're going to OK the Luiz move to Arsenal, should we look at bringing Hector back into the squad? I watched him a few times last season, and he looked pretty decent, as well as winning their player of the season award. 

7 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

If business is just linear incomings and outgoings, yes. But it isn't. 

Well I didn't make the point that this was all about incomings and outgoings, did I?

There are a number of variables at play here - its not just about money. He is 32 years old, got 2 years to go, maybe he isn't wanted by the club, another club is in for him in the same city, the player himself likely wants to go.... struggling to see the negatives here. 

And we may not be strong enough? Are we really at the point where David Luiz, from a footballing pov, is irreplaceable in the team? I disagree tbh.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

That may be because those people care about their players, and don't want them sold off. Luiz has his faults, certainly, but equally he was/is much loved by Chelsea fans.

I get that, but at the end of the day it's not as if Luiz makes us a significantly better team, nor is he our future. What he's like off the pitch shouldn't be a defining factor, no matter how much of a character he is. 

We're in a unique situation where we can take more risks with the team. And truth be told, he's probably rather fortunate to have secured a new deal recently as it is. The fact we'll possibly get a transfer fee is good business. 

Conte wanted Luiz out by all accounts and he's a clown .

SFL wants him out when we have two dreadful centre halves and a transfer ban and he's stamping his authority on things .

Funny old game.