• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Zidane   

Lampard nipping it in the bud like Tony Soprano with Feech La Manna. Like it. 

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

We are very literally at the point where all of our players are irreplaceable. This is not currently a subject open to debate! 

We still have 4 CBs in the squad, one more than we used last year, 9 defenders in all, even assuming Luiz does go.
We could lose another defender without much problem.

Leo91   

I was gutted last evening about this. But waking up with a calm head this morning and putting myself in Luiz's position as a 32 year old without the guarantee of first team football and seeing what happened last season with Gary Cahill, I'd want to leave too. Luiz is only looking after himself, he doesn't have Chelseas best interests at heart. Forget the fact he celebrated for PSG against us. Just look at how he plays for himself sacrificing the team for personally glory by stepping out in ridiculous situations.

This actually opens the door for Reece James later in the season as Azpi can go and cover as CB. 

Thanks Luiz but no thanks.

17 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

We still have 4 CBs in the squad, one more than we used last year, 9 defenders in all, even assuming Luiz does go.

but why would we want to?

jangz   

I think Luiz being a former team mate of lamps would have a lot to do with it... luis demanding a certain role or challenging lamps authority.. I did find it odds how he always refers to him as lamps and not the manager

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, jangz said:

I think Luiz being a former team mate of lamps would have a lot to do with it... luis demanding a certain role or challenging lamps authority.. I did find it odds how he always refers to him as lamps and not the manager

This did occur to me. I responded to a post by Jane ( I think) who was worried about SFL managing ex players, to which I stated it was only Luiz, Azpilicueta and WIllian whose playing careers here overlapped with SFL and I didn't envisage an issue. 

Maybe it is an issue. Being told what is what by a former teammate. I know Vialli struggled. 

In normal circumatances, letting a 32 year old, sometimes erratic defender leave would make sense, but when he is the most experienced, and we can't replace him, it is potential folly. What if Rudiger has a set back, and then later on in the season Zouma or Christensen get an injury? Not like we can get someone in January.

It's all a bit odd if you ask me, and for £8m (about 30% of a Drinkwater) it really isn't worth taking the risk.

On the one hand, I would rather have waited until the Jan window for this move (Rudiger situation)  and I would rather have not given him to a rival for a mere 8m. Arsenal will be crowing about this. 

On the other hand I'm looking forward to the first huge brain fart that leads to Arsenal conceding...that might take the wind from their sails a bit. 

And on my third hand this is Christensons opportunity to step up. I just have a feeling he is ready (although improvement in arial work is much needed). But lets face it, in a back three Luiz is or was great, but in a back 4 it's different gravy. 

Dingus   
2 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

On the one hand, I would rather have waited until the Jan window for this move (Rudiger situation)  and I would rather have not given him to a rival for a mere 8m. Arsenal will be crowing about this. 

On the other hand I'm looking forward to the first huge brain fart that leads to Arsenal conceding...that might take the wind from their sails a bit. 

And on my third hand this is Christensons opportunity to step up. I just have a feeling he is ready (although improvement in arial work is much needed). But lets face it, in a back three Luiz is or was great, but in a back 4 it's different gravy. 

Already had a couple of my gooner mates calling it a joke signing so they aren't impressed.

Just now, Dingus said:

Already had a couple of my gooner mates calling it a joke signing so they aren't impressed.

Well thats cheered me up a bit. TBH I have quite a few gooner mates who when we re-signed him almost  pissed themselves and continued to do so. I suppose its difficult to do a complete 360 turn on your opinion of a player when they have had zero time to get used to the situation. But I can assure you that if Luiz plays a blinder on his first game those mates of yours will be on your case. Things can look different when a player is wearing your teams colours and Luiz is the type of player who will be kissing the badge at the first opportunity. 

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

We are very literally at the point where all of our players are irreplaceable. This is not currently a subject open to debate! 

I'd say that the only irreplacable player we have in the squad is Kanté. 

Then there is a host of players that would be very unfortunate to lose now considering we can't strengthen - Rüdiger, Azpilicueta, Kepa, Jorginho, Willian and Pedro. After that, the squad consists of young hopefuls and average players in realtion to where we want to be. 

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Any other summer, Luiz wanting to leave wouldn’t really bother me. Good defender, but with at least 1 error per game in him and quite often a game altering error.

My issue is the timing and the destination. The eve of the transfer window when he knows the club have a transfer ban and to a London rival. If he does push for this to happen, all respect is gone for me.

If, which seems likely, he does go then Rudiger and Christensen is fine for me, that’s the partnership I predicted would play the majority of the season, but that needed Christensen to build his confidence up... maybe going straight in from the start will do that, Lampard must think so. In the short term thought Zouma and Christensen doesn’t fill me with too much confidence.

Short term (until Rüdiger is back) I'd agree we look thin. But I think people are underestimating Tomori greatly. He is 21, was Derby's player of the season last season and played for them 55 times. On top of that he's got 15 England U-21 caps.

It's not a fresh academy product who's completely green that we are talking about here. He's big and strong, comfortable on the ball and good defensively. Definitely something to build upon. Worst case we can (hopefully) also recall Ampadu if we need him.

I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about. Luiz did not have a very good season last season. Defensively he was a mess and the customary output going forward was sorely lacking. He's 32, bound to be on big wages and isn't lifting his weight. I'm actually relieved we are getting rid.

45 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes. Either Zappacosta or Emerson/Alonso could leave without much issues for us. 

Azpi/James - Rüdiger/Zouma - Christensen/Tomori - Emerson/Alonso

Next summer, depending on how the two new CBs fair, we could go all in for a star CB. 

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

In normal circumatances, letting a 32 year old, sometimes erratic defender leave would make sense, but when he is the most experienced, and we can't replace him, it is potential folly. What if Rudiger has a set back, and then later on in the season Zouma or Christensen get an injury? Not like we can get someone in January.

It's all a bit odd if you ask me, and for £8m (about 30% of a Drinkwater) it really isn't worth taking the risk.

If the worst case scenario happens we have Tomori and can (hopefully) recall Ampadu. 

Regarding the last comment, perhaps the risk is far greater if Luiz stays?