• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

17 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

1) So you have a keeper that you are trying to sign to a new contract for 24-18 months with no success. In that time you do not make any real play for another goalkeeper until two-three weeks before the end of the window and then you pay £71m on £190k a week wages for a player with two years experience. Additionally, the player that you buy said he first spoke to the club weeks before not months. Additionally, if he was being scouted for such a long time why did we not sign him in Jan when he has a £18m buy out and was on super low wages and loan him back? 

2) Midfield was a problem but we also needed goals. As Droy has pointed out there was a 4 year gap between Pedro and Pulisic, that is a ridiculous amount of time to go without signing a AM, especially when two of your three AM's do not get double figure league goals. Additionally, Jan 2018, struggling for goals and you can get Dzeko if you pay an extra £5-10m and give him a contract longer than 18 months. What do we do, Giroud for £18m and end up with him for 2.5 years anyway.

3) Not really my point is that Ampadu got loaned out because the club thought Luiz was knocking about. Things have gone south and now they are reacting to the situation as they have not hedged any bets. By the way, how big and strong is Tomori again? Got any clips of his physical feats? 

4) Erm, doesn't Conte get blamed for the change in strategy because, and I quote: 

We still suffer from this butchering of the squad. How he managed to tear down what José built up in 12 months is beyond me. Takes some incompetent petulant man-child to be able to achieve that. 

So what is it? Did he 'tear down' the wonderful squad Jose left him that finished 10th? Because if it is, he must have been picking the transfers and scouting the players to achieve that. 

5) Poch would have been a better example and no, I have said before that his behaviour was not the best but I understood it to a certain extent when you consider the dross he was being served up with and the fact he took us for 10th to 1st. To compare the quality of player Man City have been bringing in to what we have been doing is laughable. 

On a side note to other posters, I do like and rate Kepa but his transfer has been lauded on here like a masterstroke when it actually smacks of panic stations. Additionally, in Summer 2018 we need more players that could get us goals, what did we do, we brought two goalkeepers and two midfielders that do not score of assit much.

1) You have no idea what has been said behind the scenes nor do you know whether Kepa would have wanted the move earlier given how little experience he had at the top level. You also seem to bank on us being able to get him for £18m - I did not know that you have access to his old contract - you must be well connected! My take on it is that the club wanted Courtois to stay (which in hindsight was a mistake) and had ongoing conversations with him where he gave indications he was ready to stay on. But given my perception of his personality I think that he left the club hanging during the spring and they then took measures to find his replacement somewhere around February/March 2018. The deal was then closed last summer and Courtois got his dream move. 

2) Yes it certainly was a ridiculous amount of time to not sign an AM. But given the manager at the time it's not surprising. Not really known to like free-flowing AMs is he? No, he much rather stacked the squad with average DMs and CBs that fitted his defensive and boring style. He took a squad that was designed to play quick attacking football with a solid defense to become a slow and boring side with lumbersome DMs and CBs. That transformation of the squad was his doing and given how he decided to play (even at bottom sides at home) leaves very little room to contest that conclusion. 

3) So what is your point? I said it wasn't any point for Ampadu to stay on as CB4 so he got loaned out because he needs to play. The club decided to bring in Zouma and Tomori in the pre-season squad to fill the gap after him and then found themselves one CB long (surely you agree we don't need 5 CBs in the squad?) Now one of them has left and we have three senior CBs and one young prospect. That's a fairly standard set-up at CB for us so not sure what the problem is? I'm not saying it was planned for Luiz to leave, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of break-down between Luiz and Lampard about status/playing time due to Luiz not being fit for the new style or not being able to set the club before himself.

I don't think it's unreasonable to claim that Lampard rates Ampadu but recognises he needs minutes at this stage. He knows Tomori well since Derby and trusts him. I think that the call was always going to be between Zouma and Luiz and for one reason or another it was Luiz who drew the shortest straw.

4) No I have no idea why you reach that conclusion. No top manager scouts players, there simply isn't time for it. But I think that he definitely played a huge part in the positions we recruited players for and the players we finally got. Was all the players his first choice? No, probably not. But it is ludicrous to cry about that fact. He had ensured the squad was so depleted for the 2017-18 season that is was impossible for the club to sign 6-7 players that woudl all have been top of Conte's list. If we are to believe the press, players like Alex Sandro, Lukaku, Nainggolan, Candreva, Dzeko etc was simply not feasible. So yes, for some positions he had to be content with his 2nd or 3rd choice. Just like any other manager out there. The main issue for us though was the sheer volume of players that had to be recruited because he had ensured so many players left. The list of players that left between summer 2016 and summer 2017 is long;

Salah, Oscar, Mikel, Ivanovic, Aké, Christensen, Rahman, Traoré, Rémy, Kenedy, Cuadrado, Begovic, Solanke, JT, Chalobah, Costa, Matic, Abraham, Loftus-Cheek and Zouma. 

The players he signed during his tenure was (minus Kanté and Bats who were clearly signed before he was our manager):

2016-17: Eduardo, Alonso, Luiz

2017-18: Caballero, Rüdiger, Bakayoko, Morata, Zappacosta, Drinkwater

All in all the club spent £370m on new players during his two seasons and not a single AM being bought. 

5) Yes he won the league under circumstances we rarely find ourselves in. We can go on and on about the JM meltdown, but that we were that bad and only the 10th best squad in England is something no sane person believes. Bad recruitment policy and a dreadful decision to let the players have a longer off-season was the main culprits, Then EVA-gate and refs who couldn't wait to short-change us. It was a perfect storm. Conte's 2016-17 season was easy, he only oversaw 47 games (really only 41 games against serious opposition) and it was Klopps and Guardiolas first seasons with their clubs. The season after he took us to fifth after spending £190m and we displayed the most boring **** I've witnessed since the Ranieri season 2001-02.  

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Salah, Oscar, Mikel, Ivanovic, Aké, Christensen, Rahman, Traoré, Rémy, Kenedy, Cuadrado, Begovic, Solanke, JT, Chalobah, Costa, Matic, Abraham, Loftus-Cheek and Zouma. 

The players he signed during his tenure was (minus Kanté and Bats who were clearly signed before he was our manager):

2016-17: Eduardo, Alonso, Luiz

2017-18: Caballero, Rüdiger, Bakayoko, Morata, Zappacosta, Drinkwater

All in all the club spent £370m on new players during his two seasons and not a single AM being bought. 

Bolded bits are hugely depressing.

Even letting Mikel go seems bonkers if you then turn around and spend £75m on 2 sh*t midfielders. 

Edit - and you could even keep Ivanovic and not buy Zappa. Just saved the club £100m retrospectively. 

Edited by paulw66

Not quoting all of it but " For some positions he should have been content to get his second of third choice" ?????? How about for EVERY position , as REWARD for winning the league from tenth ?

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Not quoting all of it but " For some positions he should have been content to get his second of third choice" ?????? How about for EVERY position , as REWARD for winning the league from tenth ?

You seem to think the club wanted to punish Conte. This is not a super market were you just go inside and take the payers you want. 

Seriously, what is wrong with some of you? You seem to think the real world is like FIFA. Players moving between clubs is a serious and complicated matter. It takes time, and for the players we want it is even more difficult. 

But what was the club supposed to do? The squad was left so short we needed players. Just because Conte gave the club a list of unrealistic first choice targets doen't mean he had no blame.

1 minute ago, The_Ghost said:

You seem to think the club wanted to punish Conte. This is not a super market were you just go inside and take the payers you want. 

Seriously, what is wrong with some of you? You seem to think the real world is like FIFA. Players moving between clubs is a serious and complicated matter. It takes time, and for the players we want it is even more difficult. 

But what was the club supposed to do? The squad was left so short we needed players. Just because Conte gave the club a list of unrealistic first choice targets doen't mean he had no blame.

The club did want to punish Conte that's exactly what they wanted to do and exactly what they did do .

paulw66   
12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

No manager gets their first choice every time. 

I really don't think replacing Zappacosts with Candreva was going to answer our prayers either. 

Just now, paulw66 said:

No manager gets their first choice every time. 

I really don't think replacing Zappacosts with Candreva was going to answer our prayers either. 

It's a cumulative though Paul , by all accounts he won the league and didn't get a single player he wanted , not one . Imagine the sinking feeling as one by one the players arrived and they weren't the ones you wanted , and they were injured and you couldn't use them and then the board expected you to push on . 

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's a cumulative though Paul , by all accounts he won the league and didn't get a single player he wanted , not one . Imagine the sinking feeling as one by one the players arrived and they weren't the ones you wanted , and they were injured and you couldn't use them and then the board expected you to push on . 

Absolute rubbish Mark and you know it. 

2 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Absolute rubbish Mark and you know it. 

Sorry , you're right , he did get one player he wanted Bakoyoko on the proviso that he could deputise for Matic who the board promptly sold . 

45 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Not 'by all accounts', just by all the accounts you want to pay attention to. 

I can imagine senior management thinking they know better than first line management and getting it wrong. Happens all the time. A football club refusing to buy good players to 'punish' a coach though... That's pathological.