• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Beginning to expect that CAS are not going to bother reviewing our appeal until about the 31st January, when they will find in our favour, just after we have served the full 2 window ban.

chara   
1 hour ago, blue moon said:

Any reason? An old and rather pretentious school friend had a dog called Shan and a cat called Shah, while my own feline is Ozzie (he enjoys chickens’ heads).

Enough: back to the noble game. Just returned from three weeks in BC, Canada (nice wine, great food) and wondering what is the strength of the rumours that the transfer ban might be lifted in January, but too jetlagged to Google it? Neymar, anyone?

Yep...my daughter brought home a little black kitten whilst we were in Spain...she called it chara because SHE said it was a version of black in Spanish....she was about ten and fluent in Spanish and reputed to have the dirtiest mouth in the village....

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

Beginning to expect that CAS are not going to bother reviewing our appeal until about the 31st January, when they will find in our favour, just after we have served the full 2 window ban.

If that does happen... our lawyers would have an absolute field day, surely!

On Kepa - hate to be a downer but it's not just this season, stats guys have been wondering what the fuss is all about for a long time. XG is a great tool to help us understand whether we are under or over performing and predict future performance. Kepa often comes out as around league average including when he was in La Liga. Not bad but we did spend a world record fee. 

Here's a few articles from last season including his performance at Athletic.

https://statsbomb.com/2018/08/chelseas-rebound-date-kepa-arrizabalaga/

https://statsbomb.com/2018/11/how-are-kepa-and-alisson-settling-in-England/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/21/premier-league-big-six-goalkeeper-analysis-hugo-lloris-making/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I think the worry with Kepa is that while he rarely makes howlers, perhaps he is not making saves many others would. He is quite short for a GK and there has been a few occasions where he's got a weak hand to a ball which has gone in anyway. He's still young so of course there is plenty of time for him to improve and he certainly looks the part. The amount of clean sheets we got last season really highlight how well we defended as a team under Sarri. 

Edited by samhoward17

Whilst its still early days, we are a few games into the season now. We have seen bright starts from the likes of Abraham, Mount Tomori, whilst most agree that James has the tools to be successful first team player.

Some vibes around that the January ban will be lifted, I expect it to be in light of the penalty Man City received for a similar crime.

So now we know a little more about our squad and options, where do people think we need strengthening in the Jan window or is it a case of leaving the surgery required until the summer ?

Personally, I would be tempted to make very few additions in January (unless injuries or dire league positions dictates) and wait until the summer when we can move players on and replace them with new signings.

I think the one area that stands out as needing another option in January for me is a centre midfielder and ideally a more defensive minded midfielder. I still reckon James could possibly adapt to this role and would not be surprised to see him used there at some point this season. We seem to have some strong links to a Brazilian midfielder called Guimaeres who plays in Brazil, not seen anything of him other than You tube, he seems to fit the bill as that type of player. Declan Rice has been mentioned,whilst decent player, I am not too convinced he is the answer.

We seem reasonably well stocked in most other positions and I doubt January will present too many opportunities to move players in/out as like for like replacements. The striker position certainly needs looking at long term, but this is also likely to be easier done in the summer than January.

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Declan Rice has been mentioned,whilst decent player, I am not too convinced he is the answer.

Declan Rice I gather remains mates with Mason Mount from a very young age, and was with him at Cobham until released at 14.  I can't imagine he'd want to return to Chelsea this early in his career.  

21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Declan Rice I gather remains mates with Mason Mount from a very young age, and was with him at Cobham until released at 14.  I can't imagine he'd want to return to Chelsea this early in his career.  

Yes I forgot he was on our books in his teens. He comes across as a decent guy and is very useful player, I just think for what he would cost to buy, likely better options around. He may also not want to return, if any truth in the link that is.

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Yes I forgot he was on our books in his teens. He comes across as a decent guy and is very useful player, I just think for what he would cost to buy, likely better options around. He may also not want to return, if any truth in the link that is.

I would have thought CM is the last position that needs addressing. 

CB, Wing, CF, Right back...........in that order, for me. 

48 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I would have thought CM is the last position that needs addressing. 

CB, Wing, CF, Right back...........in that order, for me. 

I guess a lot of people have made or re-made their minds about different people.  
So you can't talk about CB while Tomori has just made the role his own, and CB while Tammy is strutting his stuff, and RB while James is arriving soon, and wing when CHO is close to returning.  

I take the approach that we need 10 or so first choice players (Starters) and perhaps 7 further members of the regular playing squad.  But that none of the Academy players except Christensen now, can be counted because "we just don't know yet".  And that those already 32+ should be forgotten about too.

So yes, long term CM is much better than any other position.  We have 2 starters plus Kovacic in the regulars.  Long term we are much better off at CM than anywhere else.

In the short term though we have only 5 CMs, including Barkley (who hopefully is only short term) and Mount (who at this stage is probably more effective as an AM).  2 of the CMs are injured.  Short term, unless Kante is 100% fit already, we have problems at CM.

For me, the next two windows should take us to a squad that looks like this:

Kepa
Caballero
Cumming

Azpilicueta
James

World Class CB
Rudiger
Tomori
Christensen
Ampadu

Emerson
Quality young LB (Chillwell maybe)

Kante
Top class powerful CM
RLC
Goal scoring CM
Kovacic
Jorginho

Pulisic
CHO
Mount
Top class AM (Sancho?)
Experienced AM/backup striker

Tammy
Top class striker

That's my opinion anyway and that's 7 new signings, most of which I think we're unlikely to get in January. Possibly I could see Zaha coming in as the experienced AM/backup striker in Jan, other than that the roles we need to fill are too crucial to get in January as the best players don't tend to move then.