• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

3 hours ago, chelboy said:

Should not go anywhere near Maddison or  Chilwell. Both are going to be massively overpriced. That is what I don’t like about buying PL players. Such silly prices. I don’t think we need Maddison . Could get LB’s the same as Chilwell for half the price in different leagues. Same with Maguire too. Hope we stay away from Rice as I think Ampudu will be a much better player than him in the future. Sancho is a player we should be keeping tabs on. In the next 2-4 years he should be playing for us. I can’t really tell the type of players Frank would go for but I hope most of them are abroad. 

I could see us moving for Zaha if we are allowed in Jan. Zaha is a 50/50 the price would be lowered next market but I am not sure about his quality. He is better than Pedro and Bats right now. £30M plus Bats is not a bad deal. Good thing about Zaha is he can play ST and winger. 

As you say signing any players from the PL will cost an absolute fortune. If Maguire goes for 80mill I dread to think what the rest will, especially given they still have that money sitting in the bank. 

Personally wouldn't go near Rice. Decent PL player but you can tell he's a converted CB. We need better passers than him in our midfield. 

We should try to take a leaf out of Liverpools recent recruitment. Rather than settling for decent players they have waited until their top targets have become available and paid top dollar for them. Fortunately we have 2019 and 2020s budget, the Hazard money and a significantly reduced wage bill. I think we will go big. First out the door hopefully Barkley. 

57 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Agreed. 

RLC is the one with the highest ceiling out of all of our academy prospects. Whether he fulfills his potential is another thing, but I haven't given up on him. 

Do you think? He'll be 24 this season and off the back of a bad injury. He's injury prone enough as it is. He certainly improved last year but in terms of ceiling, I would place all the other academy boys higher. 

3 hours ago, chelboy said:

Should not go anywhere near Maddison or  Chilwell. Both are going to be massively overpriced. That is what I don’t like about buying PL players. Such silly prices. I don’t think we need Maddison . Could get LB’s the same as Chilwell for half the price in different leagues. Same with Maguire too. Hope we stay away from Rice as I think Ampudu will be a much better player than him in the future. Sancho is a player we should be keeping tabs on. In the next 2-4 years he should be playing for us. I can’t really tell the type of players Frank would go for but I hope most of them are abroad. 

I could see us moving for Zaha if we are allowed in Jan. Zaha is a 50/50 the price would be lowered next market but I am not sure about his quality. He is better than Pedro and Bats right now. £30M plus Bats is not a bad deal. Good thing about Zaha is he can play ST and winger. 

I agree with your points on PL players. I am not that keen on Chilwell at £60m+ as like you say there are other players that can be had for much less in terms of fees and wages. Players that spring to mind immediately are Gaya and Telles. 

As for Maddison, I actually think he is a good player with a high celing. However, he is not the type of player we need owing to the cost and other areas of the squad we need to cover. I personally see him going to Utd. 

I disagree on Zaha. I would've been ok to have taken him in the past two windows for the right fee but I have always had the nagging feeling he is a big fish/small pond type of player. I say this as this is what all my Palace supporting family say about him. For me, he is probably better off just being Palace's best player as they are a half decent side now. Also, Palace are not going to sell for less than what equates to £70-80m, he is simply too important for them and they do not need the cash. Also, if we do end up going for Sancho (I have my doubts on this) that is going to cost an arm and a leg, which makes me think Willian will be here for a while longer unless all the Barca talk is true and they give him a multi year contract. 

54 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Agreed. 

RLC is the one with the highest ceiling out of all of our academy prospects. Whether he fulfills his potential is another thing, but I haven't given up on him. 

I agree but RLC is pushing 24 now and has not really had a meaningful season yet. I would say we need to stop talking about his potential as he is now to old to really be seen in the same bracket as Mount, CHO, Tomori, Tammy etc. 

My personal view is that he will be an Anderton type figure. Very good player but one who's inconsistency means he will never be a player we can relie on. 

14 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Do you think? He'll be 24 this season and off the back of a bad injury. He's injury prone enough as it is. He certainly improved last year but in terms of ceiling, I would place all the other academy boys higher. 

That is my thinking too, at 23/4 ceiling is no longer relevant, it is the standard he plays at week in week out.  I've seen 4 good games in a Chelsea shirt by RLC.  Also 4 by Tammy, Mount and Tomori.

Notre Dame has a high ceiling.

8 minutes ago, King Kante said:

My personal view is that he will be an Anderton type figure

Ouch.
Funny thing is that "sick note" had about 200 appearances before his 23rd birthday.  And later played on till he was 36.  

Edited by Droy was my hero

13 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

As you say signing any players from the PL will cost an absolute fortune. If Maguire goes for 80mill I dread to think what the rest will, especially given they still have that money sitting in the bank. 

Personally wouldn't go near Rice. Decent PL player but you can tell he's a converted CB. We need better passers than him in our midfield. 

We should try to take a leaf out of Liverpools recent recruitment. Rather than settling for decent players they have waited until their top targets have become available and paid top dollar for them. Fortunately we have 2019 and 2020s budget, the Hazard money and a significantly reduced wage bill. I think we will go big. First out the door hopefully Barkley. 

Agree on all of this. From now on, we should just be looking at the top, top players and making big moves for them. By the looks of it, there will be a few coming up this Summer, Dias, Harvetz, Sancho, Werner etc which should make things interesting. 

As for players out of the door, I would also add Zouma, Pedro, Giroud and Bats to Barkley. Bats could get a stay as long as he is happy to play 3CF but other than that, those 5 aren't good enough.

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

That is my thinking too, at 23/4 ceiling is no longer relevant, it is the standard he plays at week in week out.  I've seen 4 good games in a Chelsea shirt by RLC.  Also 4 by Tammy, Mount and Tomori.

Notre Dame has a high ceiling.

Ouch

Don't you mean, had? 

I think Anderton was a good player, but his injury record meant he was unrealiable. I just cannot see at this point that RLC will ever be a player to play 2 full seasons in a row. I think with how things have played out, it is also fairly right to infer that the reason he did not go out on loan before he was 21 was also due to fitness. 

I've always been one of Lotus Cheeks biggest fans, I saw an awful lot of him coming through the youth teams and he was absolutely the stand and out player but he's nearly 24, the time to talk about his potential and ceiling has long passed.

Edited by Martin1905

chelboy   

Hmm, age and potential are not always connected. Some players can be late bloomers and develop at a later stage. Some may grow early in development and you would think they have potential but really they are just quick starters who end up nowhere. Wilshere and Welbeck being good examples of youth that started out very well early and ended up being average. I think Rashford is going to be another Wilshere/Welbeck. 

You can probably find many examples of early starters and late bloomers who ended up in different situations. The main thing to look for is genuine talent and desire. The physical and mental attributes may take a bit longer to develop but as long as they have the talent and desire I would always keep an eye on them. I think RLC has both talent and desire it is just his fitness that has stopped him from really growing. A lot of our academy players have genuine talent. What separates them in the future( considering all stay fit) will be desire.  I can already get vibes of who will be a late bloomer and who may lose some desire and not grow. 

Edited by chelboy

If the ban is overturned for the January window, I wouldn't be that shocked to see a £+Bats deal for Zaha. I have a feeling the Zaha deal is already done in some form, ready for when the window reopens.

I think he'd be a decent signing, but I agree with those that have said we should be looking for TOP class talent almost exclusively in the next few windows, if and it's still quite a big if, the youngsters continue playing at this level for the entire season. If we do manage to bring through a batch of genuine squad players (and some first-teamers) from our academy this season and next (potentially Gilmour and Ampadu could be added to what we've already got) then that's a HUGE step forward for this club and it would really allow us to go out and spend big on the right players.

For me the areas we need to look to strengthen asap with top class/world class talent are CB, Strong and physical CM and AM - I think we also need to find another quality striker to be backup to Tammy but also to allow us to play 2 up top if required, Werner looks interesting to me because I think he could also play either side in a 433. Full backs probably need looking at quite soon too, depending on the form of Azpi, Alonso and Emerson and how well James does over the next 12 months or so.

As for RLC, I'm a massive fan of his, to be honest, I just love the way he plays the game, he has the technical ability of a much smaller man but the power of someone his size, he almost glides across the pitch at times and can hold off the strongest of opposition with ease. All that said, he obviously needs to sort out his injuries if he's really going to become a top player because it's one thing to do it in small chunks of a season, but you need to maintain that level throughout an entire season(s), just ask our manager. Ability wise, he's possibly as good as we have if he can get it right consistently and get rid of the injuries. One of my best mates is a Palace season ticket holder and he is always telling me how impressive RLC was for them and that he could instantly tell he was far too good for them and a really special player and I agree with him.

3 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Hmm, age and potential are not always connected. Some players can be late bloomers and develop at a later stage. Some may grow early in development and you would think they have potential but really they are just quick starters who end up nowhere. Wilshere and Welbeck being good examples of youth that started out very well early and ended up being average. I think Rashford is going to be another Wilshere/Welbeck. 

You can probably find many examples of early starters and late bloomers who ended up in different situations. The main thing to look for is genuine talent and desire. The physical and mental attributes may take a bit longer to develop but as long as they have the talent and desire I would always keep an eye on them. I think RLC has both talent and desire it is just his fitness that has stopped him from really growing. I think a lot of our academy players have genuine talent. What separates them in the future( considering all stay fit) will be desire.  I can already get vibes of who will be a late bloomer and who may lose some desire and not grow. 

Yep, I'd agree with a lot of this. Just out of interest, who do you think are the late bloomers and who do you think may lose some desire and not grow?