• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

59 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Have to agree with you on your points on RLC and particularly the bolded bit. Personally, I have been a fan of his but have always been concerned about his lack of ability/desire off the ball. 

Your points on his position are also pertinent. However, his playing CM may also come down to his running off the ball as he is kind of like an old school 10 in that he just wants to float about and only comes alive when he is on the ball and close to goal. AM and lone CF's these days have to put in a lot of hard yards, just look at Willian, Pedro and Costa. 

His lack of running however, may also be due to the fact that at a very young age he was built like a man. I remember watching one game when he must have been about 16 and when he got on the ball it was like when someone's really good dad joined in with an under 12's training session. No one could get him off the ball and he just kind of strolled his way through everyone without really breaking sweat. It was really like a man against boys. However, that is just my own musings. 

As for his handling, I think it is starting to become clear, in my mind at least, that he was kept a Cobham owing to his injuries/growing pains. I mean he was training with the first team squad at 17, which is nearly seven years ago and even Josh went out on loan at 19. The only other reason could be that he is a homeboy. In that interview I posted on the injury thread it sounds like he spends a lot of time at home with his mum and sisters. Maybe, he just did want to come out of his comfort zone. 

All very similar to the way I think about him.  Palace must be the nearest club to Cobham and he is from Lewisham.  The achilles heel I worry about is not at the back of his ankle.

2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Yeah I think the Arsenal transfer is what he wanted and I agree he probably has been screwed over on an agreement with Parish. I do think Palace will do a deal at the right price though. I think Palace were pissed at Arsenal for trying to do the deal on the cheap, I think this riled them and Palace made negotiations difficult for that point.

I also don’t think they were comfortable doing business with Everton as they were almost too much of a direct rival and felt Zaha could do better.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we are looking at a player plus cash deal. Maybe bats or Barkley plus £40 million type structure.

Football debates are becoming a little absurd if we are now questioning signing a player at 27. He’s comfortably got 4-5 years at a high level, yeah he might lose a touch of pace at the back end of those 4-5 years, but it’s not like it’s the kinda deal Higuain would have cost as a comparison. I’d say Zaha is just about in his peak now and over the next 3 years.

27 but he's a winger who heavily relies on pace. In addition to the ridiculous fee he would cost I simply can't ses us putting him on a huge salary up until he's 32. Just look at Alexis Sanchez to see just how quickly a fast winger can drop without their electric pace. United signed him at 29. 

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

3 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

27 but he's a winger who heavily relies on pace. In addition to the ridiculous fee he would cost I simply can't ses us putting him on a huge salary up until he's 32. Just look at Alexis Sanchez to see just how quickly a fast winger can drop without their electric pace. United signed him at 29. 

This is pretty much where I think a lot of top teams will stand on Zaha. The only way I see him getting a move is if Palace drop their asking price massively or he takes wages that are similar to lower than he gets at Palace (he is currently on £130k). I mean can anyone really see a club laying out £93m+ for Zaha - £60m fee (which would be £20m less than Palace were asking for this summer) and £130k wages for 5 years? 

As I and others have said elsewhere, going forward we need to really now just be focusing on top, top players. For the squad next year, I would say we would have something like: 

Kepa, GK2/3, Willy 

Rudi, Christensen, Tomori, New CB 

James, Dave, Emerson, Alonso

Jorgi, Kova, Mount, RLC, New CM 

CHO, Pulisic, Willian, New AM 

Tammy, CF2, Bats/CF3

Arguements can be made about FB's, particularly RB, but I feel that is a see how we go situation as we do not know where James is at in terms of top level football and I am yet to be convinced that Emerson and Alonso need a massive upgrades with the other holes we have.

However, I feel the CB, CM, AM and CF all need to be top class if we want to push on. That is also why I think Willian will probably get a new contract as he is still a decent (even if frustrating player.)

Also, before anyone points it out, yes I do see Kante leaving in the Summer as I do not see the club turning down £90m+ for a 29 year old and I think Madrid, PSG and Juve will offer that sort of money for him.

9 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Sanchez is not a fair comparison. He carries the weight of being a small nations best footballer for the last 10 years. Which means he plays every WC qualifier, every Copa America tournament and qualifier, then World Cup competitions and Confederation Cups on top. Many people expected Sanchez to not be the same player at Utd because his football calendar as been insane for a decade. Zaha has been playing first team senior football for about 10 years, but he has not played anywhere near the amount of minutes that Sanchez has.

Yeah he relies on pace, but not all players lose pace as much these days as they did approaching 30 of years ago. We have seen a number of examples of players who are still very quick into their early 30s, probably due to the knowledge that clubs have at their exposure these days in terms of fitness and science. Willian is probably still one of the quickest in terms of acceleration at the club now and he is about 31. Dani Alves is still bombing up the wings at pace at 35.

Too my knowledge on Zaha, he has not really suffered from any bad long term injuries either. So he is pretty robust athlete who I can still envisage being pretty quick in 4-5 years time.

I think questioning his ability to perform well at a big club is a justified question. I just don’t see any question about the deal due to his age as justified. We get to obsessed with younger players, signing a player who you can get at least 5 years out of for big money is perfectly reasonable.

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

chelboy   
7 hours ago, King Kante said:

This is pretty much where I think a lot of top teams will stand on Zaha. The only way I see him getting a move is if Palace drop their asking price massively or he takes wages that are similar to lower than he gets at Palace (he is currently on £130k). I mean can anyone really see a club laying out £93m+ for Zaha - £60m fee (which would be £20m less than Palace were asking for this summer) and £130k wages for 5 years? 

As I and others have said elsewhere, going forward we need to really now just be focusing on top, top players. For the squad next year, I would say we would have something like: 

Kepa, GK2/3, Willy 

Rudi, Christensen, Tomori, New CB 

James, Dave, Emerson, Alonso

Jorgi, Kova, Mount, RLC, New CM 

CHO, Pulisic, Willian, New AM 

Tammy, CF2, Bats/CF3

Arguements can be made about FB's, particularly RB, but I feel that is a see how we go situation as we do not know where James is at in terms of top level football and I am yet to be convinced that Emerson and Alonso need a massive upgrades with the other holes we have.

However, I feel the CB, CM, AM and CF all need to be top class if we want to push on. That is also why I think Willian will probably get a new contract as he is still a decent (even if frustrating player.)

Also, before anyone points it out, yes I do see Kante leaving in the Summer as I do not see the club turning down £90m+ for a 29 year old and I think Madrid, PSG and Juve will offer that sort of money for him.

Can’t see Kante asking for a move or any club willing to pay the price. He is on a 4 year deal fees will start at £200M. Only club that would come for Kante is Madrid and when he looks over at what is going on there he would rather stay here I think. I really don’t think we can afford to sell Kante at all. No matter how much money we simply can’t replace what he offers us. Even when he gets older and the engine slows down he will still be one of the best ball winners. Look at Fernandinho at 34 and still one of the best in the game. We treat 30+ like grandads in the football world. If they look after themselves they can play at the top level until mid 30’s at least. Kante has at least another 4 years at the top. 

Jasonb   

Kante is picking up a lot of injuries just now, it maybe just knocks or it may be more serious.

If the latter unlikely we will get big money.

chelboy   
6 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Kante is picking up a lot of injuries just now, it maybe just knocks or it may be more serious.

If the latter unlikely we will get big money.

Been rushed back every time and has not had a pre season. He needs a proper rest period of 3-4 week otherwise he will keep on getting these injuries. James , Kante and Christensen all picked up knocks on int break and all 3 have just come back from injury. Not the first time this season players have been injured so suddenly after returning from injury. 

1 hour ago, chelboy said:

Can’t see Kante asking for a move or any club willing to pay the price. He is on a 4 year deal fees will start at £200M. Only club that would come for Kante is Madrid and when he looks over at what is going on there he would rather stay here I think. I really don’t think we can afford to sell Kante at all. No matter how much money we simply can’t replace what he offers us. Even when he gets older and the engine slows down he will still be one of the best ball winners. Look at Fernandinho at 34 and still one of the best in the game. We treat 30+ like grandads in the football world. If they look after themselves they can play at the top level until mid 30’s at least. Kante has at least another 4 years at the top. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Kante and he is probably my favourite player. However, if there were to be a big bid for him, I see the club cashing in as it is kind of what they do now. 

I also have no doubts he will still be a top player at 34. 

chelboy   
1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Kante and he is probably my favourite player. However, if there were to be a big bid for him, I see the club cashing in as it is kind of what they do now. 

I also have no doubts he will still be a top player at 34. 

I don’t think they would cash in on Kante. We only sold Hazard because we had no choice. Same with Courtois. I don’t think the board just want to sell these players unless they had 1 year left or really forced a move. 

2 hours ago, chelboy said:

I don’t think they would cash in on Kante. We only sold Hazard because we had no choice. Same with Courtois. I don’t think the board just want to sell these players unless they had 1 year left or really forced a move. 

I hope you're right.