• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

there are some funny urban myths when it comes to JM

2004-2006 and 2014/15 saw some of the best football I have seen here. 

I think the 2004-07 thing was largely about opponents.  They were ultra-cautious even knowing that we would certainly score.  They preferred to lose 1-0 or 2-0 than do a Bolton, score first half and lose 5-1.  They were dull games because one side was going to win and the other didn't want to be there.  Oppo fans must have hated playing us.  Just like the young George Foreman was such a dull boxer, he knocked everyone out in the first 2 rounds.  
And in response to MOTD and the Essien red card what happened the same season.  West Ham cam to the Bridge, they scored after 10 mins, and then Manich got sent off (harshly if I recall) on 17 mins.  We still won 4-1.

Leo91   

Jose was very tactically astute, he knew how to reshuffle after going a man down. Never seen better. 

paulw66   
40 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Jose was very tactically astute, he knew how to reshuffle after going a man down. Never seen better. 

We had players that were worth 2 when the chips were down. Jt, Essien,  Lampard,  Drogba.   

Yeah, the 2004-2007 era was my favourite ever as a Chelsea fan and no matter what everyone else said, we did play a lot of good football in that period. This is why I have never got the anti-JM stuff. He literally forged our winning psyche of the past 15 years. The only thing I hold against him is his going to Spuds. 

Anyway, moving back to transfers, I really hope we can add in Jan as I think we are going to need 2-3 players to push us over the line in the second half of the season. For me, most important areas would be: CF2, CB, LB and GK2. Not sure what could be done in Jan so maybe a pipe dream but those are the areas I would target. That said, I would not want dire players brought in so if it is that or no players, I would go with no players. 

Edited by King Kante

Jasonb   

Jose built magnificent teams during those years yet we had the money to acquire great talents. This is why it is great we have won trophies under later managers too.

11 hours ago, paulw66 said:

We had players that were worth 2 when the chips were down. Jt, Essien,  Lampard,  Drogba.   

I agree these were very important as were Cavalho and Robben was sensational in 2004 + 2005.

Leo91   

Lucas Digne in January ? Got a while to go on his contract but I think he's attainable on the surface of it at a struggling Everton, now would be the time to pounce.

12 hours ago, Leo91 said:

Lucas Digne in January ? Got a while to go on his contract but I think he's attainable on the surface of it at a struggling Everton, now would be the time to pounce.

If we are shipping both Alonso and Emerson out, then yeah he is good for LB2. However, I would worry if we bought him the board would think. Right, LB's done. 

14 hours ago, Leo91 said:

Lucas Digne in January ?

Based on?

14 hours ago, Leo91 said:

Got a while to go on his contract

4 years left on an initial 5 year contract. Sorry, but I can't see him going anywhere.

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Leo91 said:

He would force the move.

I seriously doubt he would be much of an upgrade, if at all.