• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

8 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I had no idea about the ban being lifted until I opened the tab of this thread about 20 minutes ago. Brilliant! The biggest/only transfer news of our season, open the transfer thread and read a load of waffle about ex managers. Unless Sarri is signing for us as the modern day Socrates and bossing the midfield on two packs a day, take it elsewhere!

Zaha is a no from me, too inconsistent for the money. Ake a bit of a sideways step, not that much better than we have already and not world class.

Striker is an absolute must, don't think Tammy has scored against any decent opposition yet (top 6, ajax, valencia) and Bats and Giroud are shocking. Personally I would dump both, get one top quality player in to share with Tammy. We are too reliant on him and there can be such a thing as such a young player playing too much, some rest would keep him fresher. No other position is so desperately bad that we shouldn't wait until summer if the right player isn't available in January.

Agree with all of this. I also make no sense of the Ake rumours. We already have 3 CBs of similar skills and abilities in Zouma, AC and Tomori. We need another CB1 not a CB2. Further, I personally do jot think he has improved much since being here, I just think instead that he is playing consistently. If it was Ake or bring back Ampadu, I would do the latter.

I agree with CF. It has to be our priority. Personally, I think Werner should be our top priority as he covers both CF and AM which is what we need. However, when you read that Haaland has a £18m buyout this window, you hope that the club is looking into it. 

26 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I do not disagree with the figures you have quoted for the above players but all of those players are the types I hope we avoid as none really take us to the next level or even are likely to get ahead of Willian, Puli and CHO. One benefit of the transfer ban is that we have discovered we have a wealth of players who have a lot of potential and can develop further. For this reason, I see absolutely no need to start buying the likes of Zaha, Moura, Grealish etc. The players we should be targetting are the likes of Werner, Dybala and Sancho. There is no point in us going to the the lower category as they are not needed and likely to end up as Cuadrado/Baka/Drinky. I mean who seriously here thinks 'ohh, I cannot wait to see Zaha here taking a starting XI place form Willian/CHO/Puli'?  

I can’t say I would be disappointed to sign any of Dybala, Werner or Sancho.

They would all cost an absolute fortune though. Dybala is unlikely to be available mid season, Juve have been quite reliant upon him and his wages would smash everyone’s already at the club.

Sancho would cost a fortune and let’s be honest, as good as he looks at times, he’s had 18 months top level football. We are talking minimum £90 million plus probably 150k per week minimum.

I just can’t see Werner anywhere other than Bayern and in summer. Leipzig seem comfortable with him going for nothing, so I don’t see them ripping up their season in Jan to let him go for say £30 million.

1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

But Dybala didn’t move anywhere, just rumour that’s what the fee was from a club with astronomical wage bill and even if true, his wage demands were ridiculous in excess of 300k per week by all accounts. You can’t use Dybala rumoured fee as a comparison stick for Zaha. It’s not the same thing.

If we use similar players/positions in England, then they are going to cost similar to Zaha.

Richarlison- cost Everton £40 million and been a success, so would be very high.

Rashford - would cost a bomb

Pepe - Cost £72 million and not got going yet.

Son - would cost a bomb

Moura - Probably £50 million

Grealish - starting bids probably £70 million

Harvey Barnes - handful of PL games and talking £30 million to start

Harry Wilson - One successful Championship season and Liverpool wanted £30 million for him!

So whilst I don’t doubt cheaper options abroad, players in England in similar positions to Zaha are going to cost similar fees. Some of these on this random list have not had as much personal success as Zaha either.

Zaha for £60 million which I believe you will get him for, really is the going rate these days. Not saying I agree with that, it’s just where we are at with football.

Grealish is interesting to me as he is English, in good form and young. JT may have worked on him

16 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

They would all cost an absolute fortune though. Dybala is unlikely to be available mid season, Juve have been quite reliant upon him and his wages would smash everyone’s already at the club.

Sancho would cost a fortune and let’s be honest, as good as he looks at times, he’s had 18 months top level football. We are talking minimum £90 million plus probably 150k per week minimum.

I just can’t see Werner anywhere other than Bayern and in summer. Leipzig seem comfortable with him going for nothing, so I don’t see them ripping up their season in Jan to let him go for say £30 million.

Rumour from Bild is that he was meant to go to BM this Summer but they messed him about and went after Sane instead. That is apprantly why he signed a new contract with a €30m buyout (he was going to be out of contract in 2020.) As ever with German players, it is likely that he ends up at BM but I also do not think it is as clear cut as usual. Further, he can go when he wants RBL's manager has even said so. 

Edited by King Kante

12 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Dybala is a top young player and yes he would be expensive but why should he cost more in salary than others

1 minute ago, exiledblue said:

Dybala is a top young player and yes he would be expensive but why should he cost more in salary than others

It was rumoured that both Spurs and Utd wanted him in the summer and he wanted 300k per week. Both teams backed away.

My own view on that is he probably did ask for that, partly because I don’t think his heart was in moving to England. It just felt to me that we’ll either get paid crazy money to go there or stay put.

I think he is happy at Juve and his position there has strengthened since the summer,  as he has been quite important player for them.

10 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I think we should be looking at potentially spending an absolute fortune on a couple of players. City and Liverpool have done it, even spurs and arsenal can fund £50-70m players without selling anyone. We've already got potential in the younger players that will get better, and at the same time saved a bomb not having to buy players in their positions on top of the large cash reserves we must have right now. Even some of the players we will be replacing have a high market value. This is not in relation to any specific name you mentioned but I think we could comfortably be shopping for a couple of 100m+ players. Not that we should spend that on just anyone, identifying the right targets is key. If we finish Top 4 and united and arsenal continue to flounder then the next two windows are an excellent opportunity to take advantage and cement ourselves in the top 3 through signing some top players.

3 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

It was rumoured that both Spurs and Utd wanted him in the summer and he wanted 300k per week. Both teams backed away.

My own view on that is he probably did ask for that, partly because I don’t think his heart was in moving to England. It just felt to me that we’ll either get paid crazy money to go there or stay put.

I think he is happy at Juve and his position there has strengthened since the summer,  as he has been quite important player for them.

I thought the same re Dybala's reasons to ask for 300k, basically being forced out against his will to mid table prem teams! Wages we definitely need to keep an eye on with so many up and coming younger players, CHO as an example. If it is true that Kante is our highest earner on £150k atm then we've had it pretty sweet for a couple of years, the wages will have to go up. 

Leo91   

Koulibaly springs to mind as that type of purchase. Slotting right next to Rudiger, it's an imperious and statement signing that settles the defence and has the highly possibility of making that back 5 rock solid. 

26 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I think we should be looking at potentially spending an absolute fortune on a couple of players. City and Liverpool have done it, even spurs and arsenal can fund £50-70m players without selling anyone. We've already got potential in the younger players that will get better, and at the same time saved a bomb not having to buy players in their positions on top of the large cash reserves we must have right now. Even some of the players we will be replacing have a high market value. This is not in relation to any specific name you mentioned but I think we could comfortably be shopping for a couple of 100m+ players. Not that we should spend that on just anyone, identifying the right targets is key. If we finish Top 4 and united and arsenal continue to flounder then the next two windows are an excellent opportunity to take advantage and cement ourselves in the top 3 through signing some top players.

Agree. We need world class players now. Not squad players as all the young boys are doing well and havr that covered. How we should be judging players to sign is to question if they are world class or capable of being world class soon. If the answer is no, then there is no point in signing them as we have pretty much every position covered with young players bar LB. That is why at LB I can see a Telles type signing as he could come in now and then get pushed to LB2 if he does not kick on. 

19 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I thought the same re Dybala's reasons to ask for 300k, basically being forced out against his will to mid table prem teams! Wages we definitely need to keep an eye on with so many up and coming younger players, CHO as an example. If it is true that Kante is our highest earner on £150k atm then we've had it pretty sweet for a couple of years, the wages will have to go up. 

That was Kante's wage when he first signed. Rumours were his new contract pushed him to £250-290k. Kepa is somehow on £170-190k according to all reports so I think our budget allows big wages. Hazard would probably have got £350k+ if he decided to stay. 

4 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Koulibaly springs to mind as that type of purchase. Slotting right next to Rudiger, it's an imperious and statement signing that settles the defence and has the highly possibility of making that back 5 rock solid. 

I am wary of KK. Napoli are absolute bast*rds to deal with, he isn't as physical as myth would have it and he is 29 by next season. Personally, I would rather Romagnoli but he is admittedly also very hard to get hold of. CB in general is a very difficult position to buy for as there is a lack of top CBs in world football atm. That said if it was KK or Ake, I would definitely go with KK.