• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   
23 minutes ago, Bison said:

Of course it is relevant. KdB cost 6.5m and Salah cost 11m.

I'd expect a 60m player to look like one and not be a buy for 5 years from now.

What is also crazy to me is that some supporters are even more patient and lenient with Pulisic than they are with CHO - an academy player coming off one of the worst injuries a footballer can experience.

It's not relevant - you either expect a 20 year old to be ready right now, or you are prepared to be patient. No player peaks at 20/21 do they? 

I presume we have paid £60m for Pulisic because we exepct he will improve. It's not his fault we lost Hazard and needed a more ready made replacement than just a 20 year old from a foreign league. 

Ronaldo cost United £12m in 2003. What is that figure now? How many years did it take him to deliver serious numbers? I'll save you the time, it was four years. 

25 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Come on. Puli was a Jan buy for Summer and Kova was an extention on a Summer 2018 loan. Question should really be, with a pending ban coming in Summer 2018, why did the board not prep more signings in Jan 19 to cover us in case the ban came through? That would have been prudent planning.

Well you name 2 and Higuain was another option we could have kept I believe (if we wanted him).
But the scale of the 6 or 7 big names we need is massive, it was never going to be done in 2 windows, and frankly how do you attract the first one knowing the window is closed for another 18 months?

ON not getting deals done yet:   is one thing to pre-prepare the scouting, I am sure that has been done.
It is another to pre-prepare the negotiations.  January signings are often late decisions by the selling club.  More over Chelsea may have been confident that the ban would be lifted.  But it is quite different trying to persuade a selling club, a selling agent and the player that it is worth going into serious negotiations without confirmation of a lifted ban.  From the players point of view, any discussion with another club feels like an attempt to leave and a break with his current coach and team-mates.  Only to be done when you are pretty sure.

Of course we don't actually need any signings - 4th doesn't look too much of a challenge (though the usually associated 70+ points might be).  I don't think anyone is expecting more than a decent CL run.  And the only players we need are ones that will be starters in 2020/21.  But if there is a diamond they have found, I can't imagine a deal could be done by Chelsea this early.

Edited by Droy was my hero

paulw66   
22 minutes ago, King Kante said:

. Let's face it the club is pony at negotiating. Unless there is a stipulated buy out we take ages or do not get it done. 

Nope, we're no different to anyone else. 

All negotiations take time, it's just a question of how public they become. 

Pulisic as an example was announced out of nowhere. There have been plenty like it. 

IMO Pulisic's commercial appeal in the US was a contributing factor to his fee. Dortmund will have been aware of that and it is a growing market we have clearly been targeting in recent years with pre season tours and end of season friendlies. At the time we signed him I was sceptical the signing was a marketing exercise, however I've since changed my mind because 1) He has performed better than I expected him to, albeit not currently a £60m player 2) We have loads of money to spend on other positions anyway due to youth integration and player sales 3) we subsequently had a transfer ban, and injuries to CHO & RLC so would have been screwed without him.

Football is growing rapidly in the USA so his signing could grow our profile there considerably if he remains captain of the national team. Doing so could provide extra revenue for signings in the future, I suspect the extra 10, 20, 30 million paid for him is a drop in the ocean compared to the potential income form the US market, merchandise, sponsorships etc. If you look at what he will bring us on and off the field, then I can't see how on the whole he won't be a positive for us even if he maintains his current level. The potential is that his performances improve and his value along with it.

30 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Let's face it the club is pony at negotiating. Unless there is a stipulated buy out we take ages or do not get it done. 

Yet we continue to out perform similarly funded clubs, and challenge much better funded clubs.
I really never have understood the mistrust of our board.

Most of the deals we get accused of not doing we have never attempted to do.  We don't discuss deals with the press so they guess a lot and then they invent reasons why we didn't do what they guessed.  2 stories for the price of none.

2 hours ago, King Kante said:

Come on. Puli was a Jan buy for Summer and Kova was an extention on a Summer 2018 loan. Question should really be, with a pending ban coming in Summer 2018, why did the board not prep more signings in Jan 19 to cover us in case the ban came through? That would have been prudent planning.

Kepa was signed on 9 Aug, about a week before the window shut and had a stipulated buyout. 

Barkley was an extention to a Summer 18 transfer that got pulled last minute. 

Jorgi had already had his fee agreed by City and then we moved in and made it apart of Sarri's deal (which dragged out.) 

Costa, Cesc* and Kante all had stipulated buy outs. So no negotiation needed with the clubs. *gentlemans agreement buy out.

Puli had 18 months left and was a Jan for Summer buy. 

Bakayoko was signed mid window. 

So, out of those they only ones you could argue where early were Baka, Puli and Barkley. However, Baka was still mid window, Puli was signed and loaned, whilst Barkley was a continuation of a Summer transfer. Baka is really the only one you can say was timely, while the others either had buyouts or where delayed transfers. Let's face it the club is pony at negotiating. Unless there is a stipulated buy out we take ages or do not get it done. 

Sounds like a load of excuses to help your argument.

None of them were long drawn out transfers. Not one of them.  All of them got done quickly with minimal fuss. 

Rob B   

I think the club are in somewhat of a precarious position regarding signings this month to be honest. 

The reason I say this, is it’s likely that Sancho and Werner are our first choice signings (or players of very similar ilk if not) but both are unlikely to be available until at least the summer.  Therefore, do you wait until your first choice players are available, or do you go for perhaps slightly inferior options that are attainable this month?  (Bearing in mind these will still cost a fortune) 

Tricky one.. but I expect the club to take a fairly pragmatic view I.e. if option 2 or 3 are available then we make the move, if they aren’t then we wait until the summer. 

The other consideration of course is that negotiations for all these options will be going on simultaneously, so certainly not a quick process.

3 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I think the club are in somewhat of a precarious position regarding signings this month to be honest. 

The reason I say this, is it’s likely that Sancho and Werner are our first choice signings (or players of very similar ilk if not) but both are unlikely to be available until at least the summer.  Therefore, do you wait until your first choice players are available, or do you go for perhaps slightly inferior options that are attainable this month?  (Bearing in mind these will still cost a fortune) 

Tricky one.. but I expect the club to take a fairly pragmatic view I.e. if option 2 or 3 are available then we make the move, if they aren’t then we wait until the summer. 

The other consideration of course is that negotiations for all these options will be going on simultaneously, so certainly not a quick process.

Personally I would work out the areas we need to strengthen this season, in order for us to gain top 4 (I would look at goal scoring AM/Winger, CB and backup Striker for Tammy), work out the personnel that are best suited and of good enough quality to come in and hit the ground running in January and go out and sign them if we can and if not, we leave it until the summer.

It may be that we have a couple of options we feel are suitable for each position, but if we're getting down to 3rd, 4th choice then I fear we may just be buying squad players again and we should stick with what we have until the summer.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see us make a loan signing for the backup striker role if Giroud and Bats both leave and we can't sign the man we want now.